Idea for a Modpack: FTB Nightmare: Hardcore Quest Pack

Teslaterror

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, since I tend to notice that a lot Minecraft players who discover FTB don't understand anything about some of the modpacks or are unfamiliar with how they work. I decide to compile a list of mods into what would be a modpack tailored for the FTB newbie. Now I put some of my personal preferences of mods in but I think a lot of people would love to play with these together.

Now the whole theme of this is that you are Vanilla Minecraft player who has fallen prey to a plague that cause an eternal, unyielding slumber. The Map you start on is the Miner's dream preset, of course tweaked with some various pitfalls and Mob dungeons, with only a chest with a set of saplings and some bone meal and your average books, including a questing one which will teach the player about the various mods and how to use them by assigning challenges specific to the modpacks. The mobs, of course are also modified to be much more terrifying and stronger, with the presence of Skele-spider jockeys ever more present, accompanied by creepers that are way stronger and more devastating. The day-night cycle is also tweak for Day lasting only 15 minutes while night last 45 minutes, now especially with mob spawn rates modified to increase the spawning of Zombies and Skeletons, accompanied by the infamous wither skeleton.

Now here is the list of mods I picked out

• Advanced Agriculture (yet to be made)
  • Applied Energestics
  • Ars Magica
  • Blood Magic:Alchemical wizardry
  • Bibliocraft
  • Big Reactors
  • Better Barrels
  • Better Storage
  • Biomes O Plenty
  • DeathTimer
  • Deadly World
  • Ex Nihlo
  • Ex Aquilo
  • Extra Utilities
  • Forestry
  • Gendustry
  • Hunger Overhaul
  • Hardcore Ender Expansion
  • ICBM
  • Inventory Tweaks
  • Hardcore Questing Mode
  • Hunger Overhaul
  • Jammy Furniture Mod
  • Mariculture
  • Meteorcraft
  • Minechem
  • Minefactory Reloaded
  • Minetweaker
  • MFFS
  • Mob Properties
  • Natura
  • NetherOres
  • Pam's Harvest Craft
  • Player Heads
  • OpenBlocks
  • Roguelike Dungeons
  • Redstone Aresnal
  • Special Mobs
  • Thaumcraft 4
  • Thaumic Integration for AE
  • Thaumic tinkerer 2
  • Thermal Expansion 3
  • tinker's Construct
  • Tinkerer's Mechworks
  • Tinkerer's Steelworks
  • Torch Levers
  • Utility Mobs
  • Witchery
I also chosen some mods that can be used in instances of Player Versus player which I slightly encourage for this Mod pack since the undead aren't the only monsters you should worry about.

Now I am not a modpack maker but I would love to see someone put this pack together and would enjoy for anyone to suggest a Mod to make the world even harder to survive in.

Last edited:

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
Add Zombie Awareness with Special Mobs to get a real horror show. Mobs can be attracted to light, and on damage you bleed and they follow blood. Also enable griefing in Special Mobs (NEW default in Monster 1.1.2) so zombies destroy light sources they can reach and trash farmland.

You should disable the Sound awareness in ZA, our server had issues with this.

Did I mention our survival server runs Monster with ZA + SM? It's heinous at night. We finally found a use for moats and punji sticks. You hide indoors at night, no one explores caves. Ever. Have a branch mine? A single dark spot can cause you to lose control of the whole thing and have mobs climbing out of the ground to get you! Sheer awesome.

Teslaterror

Jul 29, 2019
Add Zombie Awareness with Special Mobs to get a real horror show. Mobs can be attracted to light, and on damage you bleed and they follow blood. Also enable griefing in Special Mobs (NEW default in Monster 1.1.2) so zombies destroy light sources they can reach and trash farmland.

You should disable the Sound awareness in ZA, our server had issues with this.

Did I mention our survival server runs Monster with ZA + SM? It's heinous at night. We finally found a use for moats and punji sticks. You hide indoors at night, no one explores caves. Ever. Have a branch mine? A single dark spot can cause you to lose control of the whole thing and have mobs climbing out of the ground to get you! Sheer awesome.

I like that idea, and I might throw thaumic integration for the mod list but I am just the idea maker behind this, I don't know how to compile mod packs. Now if someone were to put this mod together, it'd be a smashing success since players will have to really make defenses like the utility mobs.

Demosthenex

Jul 29, 2019
I wish we had added the utility mobs. Instead most of us have tall walls with lips, and moats. One went so far as to perfect a "drowning" moat which kills zombies.

We do discourage punji sticks now because Special Mobs miniboss monsters would stand on them and the vanilla reinforcement summoning would lead to huge recursive waves of mobs that never died fast enough.

Maybe a lava moat, but that seems foolhardy.

I'm looking forward to trying out Rotarycraft defenses as soon as I can generate enough power!

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Best thing to do is start making the above pack & tweaking the configs to suit & to help weed out some mod on mod OP issues, then get a bunch of buddies to help you test & tweak as needed & rebalance, this will take you weeks if not months, but then you will have what it is you are suggesting, be warned its a lot more work than it first seems, you will end up spending most of your time editing/test/edit/test/edit, this is where buddies come in, its too much for one person normally.

Btw the list looks like a strange hodge-podge of mods with most all the mods in other packs, a magic/tec pack or steampunkish pack, is there a need for a new pack, maybe but as a learning aid as you suggest there are too many mods & the new user gets swamped in the same way as they may in any pack atm, the thing is that with any pack if you do a little research & work slow at start the new player can come to grips with it anyway..

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
No Advanced Genetics...:(
I think I'll go and cry now.

BTW, many people are doing hardcore modpacks. To name a few are: Mevansuto, Jadedcat, Eyamaz, Iskandar and Zodsmar.

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
No Advanced Genetics...:(
I think I'll go and cry now.

BTW, many people are doing hardcore modpacks. To name a few are: Mevansuto, Jadedcat, Eyamaz, Iskandar and Zodsmar.

And me, but mine is still a WIP

Don't forget about AlCapella either, I hear he's working on one too

Reactions: RealSketch

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I think that having a 15/45 minute day/night cycle might be a bit ridiculous and boring though. Why not just 5/15?

1SDAN

Jul 29, 2019
Do you think you can find someone to want to work on this modpack since I am not a coder/ modder?

Honestly, how it works in the MC community is really just either someone likes your idea and works on it for you, or you work on it. I don't really know anyone who'd like to work on a pack who isn't already.

Sorry.

Teslaterror

Jul 29, 2019

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
LOL this is now defunct and I already have speared headed a new modpack thats much better though lacks the HQM thing due to certain decisions at the moment. ttps://www.dropbox.com/s/r6vr4u50e5k3dtm/UntitledLauncher-0.0.0.1.jar?dl=0

mind you are we developing Insanity and we really need playtesters.

Oh btw, if anyone wants to take this Nightmare modpack idea, be my guest.
Erm what is this untitled launcher ?, if its your new pack that you wish players to test you should at least give some info, & if its not part of the ftb launcher erm mkII!

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
LOL this is now defunct and I already have speared headed a new modpack thats much better though lacks the HQM thing due to certain decisions at the moment. ttps://www.dropbox.com/s/r6vr4u50e5k3dtm/UntitledLauncher-0.0.0.1.jar?dl=0

mind you are we developing Insanity and we really need playtesters.

Oh btw, if anyone wants to take this Nightmare modpack idea, be my guest.
We don't mind other launchers existing, but I'm not a big fan of using the FTB forums to promote them. Additionally, linking an executable without any explanation as to what it does is not a good idea.