IC2 Experimental Guide

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Industrial Craft 2 Experimental Branch

As I have noted many people do not like Ic2 because of the new E-net system and because they are not used to it so I am going to take you on a walkthrough of the mod.

Thread Notes and Rules:

This pertains to IC2 v.1.6.4 (experimental) and up

Please don’t get too off topic I don’t want this to be derailed I spent a lot of time on this.

Please say something if you think I could improve this or somthing is wrong.

What is IC2?

For those of you who are new and do not understand or know about Ic2 let me summarize it. Ic2 was the original ore doubling mod and has set the standards for many mods today. It allows you to generate power from many sources like coal generators, solar panels, geothermal generators and nuclear reactors to use for a various assortment of things including ore doubling, smelting and duplicating items (At a large cost though)

The EU
The Energy Unit, often abbreviated as EU, is the unit of energy used by IndustrialCraft2 and its add-ons. It is similar to the SI unit of the Joule. EU can be created through various generators, stored in certain blocks and items (e. g. the BatBox, RE-Battery or BatPack), and transported through cables to power machines. Two common terms are used to describe EU, EU/t (EU per tick) and EU/p (EU per packet). These two terms represent different concepts (Power and Energy respectively) and are technically not interchangeable.

Voltages
In IC2 there are 8 types of voltages.
Micro Voltage - 8 eu/t
Low Voltage - 32 eu/t
Medium Voltage - 128 eu/t
High Voltage - 512 eu/t
Extreme Voltage - 2048 eu/t
Quad Extreme Voltage - 8192 eu/t
Ultimate Voltage - 2,000,000,000 eu/t
Ludicrous Voltage - 2,000,000,000+ eu/t

Giving a machine a to high voltage can cause it to blow up (soon)

Getting Started

*This perspective is that of a new world

When you generate a new world with IC2 in it you will not notice much of a difference. You may see some rubber trees on the surface but it is almost exactly the same until you go mining. So as in vanilla minecraft you will want to seek shelter and make whatever suits you a 9x9, a hobbit hole, a nice hut or a magnificent castle. Next you want to go resource gathering. Gather as much of everything as you can. If there is JABBA of factorization installed DO abuse the barrels. You will want a couple stacks of wood. A stack of gravel, dirt and sand. You will also want to find some rubber trees and chop them down for their saplings. Rubber trees look different from other trees because they have a 2-4 block high top.

*See image below

smHeA-uFhybPDkLdNWheqCQeqdGwf_QcWaP1xioAlMefZlCv5kdkD090uesVNZexSTJrXXJ0Xv4DujKBzEe1zuLFj3BOo61LC89drH5tLeX52gS7AbD7JeZLN9kJjfpxiQ

A good place to find rubber trees is in a swamp as they commonly occur there. Once you have the rubber trees plant them. It only takes one bone meal to make the grow because the never changed it (Don’t tell cpw). Next you will want to set up some animal/food farms and perhaps a mob farm. Now that you have established yourself on the surface you will want to exploit the riches of the earth and go mining. You will want to go into a fairly deep cave and mine everything you see. Try to get about a stack of copper, tin, lead, gold and two stacks of iron, redstone and a lot of coal also try to pick up some diamonds and uranium on the way lapiz and emeralds won’t hurt either.. And do not forget to get lots of cobble. Once you return to the surface you may notice something growing on your rubber trees. It will look something like this.

*See image below

SxF1DaWjs28CzCGIe3VlfzCNELUT39q6mWcVsLuX0WO6x33a24JeEEZPrBVYvXEFUWngbZqLPbJTrkEeB6UIXJkIMJ7XAZVLQHmoVTANunEliX4avUuEj7T5UzSrwf44sw

You will want to make a tree tap out of your wood stockpile and right click this. It will drop some sticky resin. Hold on to it and put it in a safe place.

The Next Things Are in the Order I Recommend to Do Them in

IC2 Crop Breeding

This is a unique and awesome part of IC2 that is one of my favorite things to do. Doing this can get you some pretty awesome crops that can grow iron and gold and one that acts like milk and takes away debuffs.

*Some of this is copied off of the IC2 wiki. (One of the only things that hasn’t changed)

Source: http://wiki.industrial-craft.net

Till some soil near water or by digging a hole and filling it with a water block. This is standard vanilla Minecraft so far. Next, take some sticks and create some stakes for Crops. Take these, and place one on each block of tilled soil. Go get some Wheat seeds by ripping up grass and plant them. Now, when your Wheat is ready to harvest, you can harvest it and wheat seedlings will remain, saving you from having to use more seeds to replant!

For more see this thread!

http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/ic2-crops-guide-very-indepth.14316/

What to do next?

Well now you are pretty well off but you have not started any real IC2. So first you will want to make some tools. You will want to make a Forge Hammer and an insulation cutter. Now make a couple Iron furnaces. The Iron Furnace is 20% faster and 25% more fuel efficient than a Furnace which makes it ideal for this part of the game. Now you will want to smelt the sticky resin we got earlier into rubber. Now we want to make a generator with one of your iron furnaces, we will also want to make some insulated copper cable, a batbox, a macerator, an extractor, a compressor and a metal former. So you want to make a basic power setup. Put down the generator, put a batbox next to it, then have some wire coming out. Then the machines we crafted on the wire. Here is a quick walkthrough of each machine we made.

Generator

The Generator is the most basic EU generating machine.

Generators operate by being fed fuel sources, much like a vanilla Furnace. Generators are also used in crafting more advanced EU sources.

Batbox

The Batbox is the lowest tier of EU storage block available. It can store up to 40,000EU and receive up to 32EU/t from any of its five input faces. The output face – delineated by an orange circle – delivers 32EU/t and can be reoriented by right-clicking on a non-output face with a Wrench, Electric Wrench, or OmniWrench. Holding the sneak key while using the tool will cause the face opposite to the one being clicked to become the output. The BatBox can be dismantled by right-clicking on the output face (or sneak+right-clicking on the face opposite to the output) with one of the wrenches. Unlike the majority of IndustrialCraft blocks, the BatBox can also be removed with a pickaxe without the risk of losing the machine. Regardless of how a BatBox is dismantled, all of the EU it was storing will be lost in the process.

Macerator

The macerator is capable of breaking down blocks and items. It is used to increase ore output and to convert some blocks and items into more useful resources.

For Example:

The Macerator grinds down 1 Tin Ore into 2 Tin Dust, each of which can be smelted into a Tin Ingot.

Cobblestone can be ground down to sand, and gravel to flint.

Electric Furnace
The Electric Furnace is an improved version of the Iron Furnace. It is 12.5% faster than a regular furnace (or exactly the same as an iron furnace) and, as the name indicates, uses electricity in the form of EU. By running on electricity instead of burning items, it is able to shut off immediately upon finishing (and thus avoid wasting energy).

Extractor

The extractor does not have many uses but plays a crucial part in you industrialization and progression.It is used to extract Rubber from Resin, as well as Coalfuel Cells from Hydrated Coal Cells

Compressor

The compressor is a machine commonly used to craft Advanced Alloys, Carbon Plates, Diamonds, Compressed Plantball and Refined Uranium. It can also make snowballs and Ice. In addition, it is used for the intermediate stages of crafting many items.

Metal Former

The metal former is a machine used to make Plates, Item Casings and Wires more efficiently and without requiring an additional tool. Some items, like the Empty Cell, can also only be made using the Metal Former as of Minecraft 1.6.

What to do With Your New Machine Layout

Well now you have a bunch of different machines and no idea what to do with them so I will enlighten you on this matter.

Generator

You use this to generate power for your machines. This has an internal EU buffer of 4,000 EU which means it can store 4,000 EU on it’s own no help from a battery or anything. You throw fuel sources in here and it generates EU.

*Generation List

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KVN1jBYRmP6w_CoC-DINZ8ONnwhxPFAF6qVMOKhE_L0/edit#gid=0

Batbox

The batbox is a storage device that can store power and not have it move anywhere. You can use the batbox to charge powered items and store power in your system. I recommend you put on right beside your generator so you have backup or extra power.

Macerator

A macerator is primarily used for doubling ores. You put an ore in the top slot and give it power and 2 dust comes out the bottom. You can smelt the dust for 1 ingot each. I recommend you automate this as fast as possible.

Electric Furnace

There is not much to say about this that hasn’t already been mentioned but I do recommend this for an automated ore doubling setup.

Extractor

Use this to get 3x the amount of rubber out of your sticky resin and 1 rubber from a rubber tree log.

Compressor

This should not have a use yet but will have one soon in the near future.

Metal Former

Use this instead of a hammer or a cutter because you do not waste any resources and it just takes up power and it is a multi-purpose machine. This comes in handy and will be one of the first machines you will want to upgrade later.

MORE TO COME SOON
[DOUBLEPOST=1400643006][/DOUBLEPOST]-RESERVED[DOUBLEPOST=1400643043][/DOUBLEPOST]-RESERVED[DOUBLEPOST=1400643080][/DOUBLEPOST]-RESERVED[DOUBLEPOST=1400643112][/DOUBLEPOST]-RESERVED[DOUBLEPOST=1400643146][/DOUBLEPOST]-RESERVED​

Last edited:
Reactions: Not_Steve

Sleepyscumbag

Jul 29, 2019
I remember back in the technic days when I first learned crop breeding. T'was awesome when I finally got hops, and into brewing. I actually got some Redpower emeralds from a guy, because I proved to him, that drinking rum would give him a buff (I assume we both were new to brewing at that point).

CarbonBasedGhost

Jul 29, 2019
I remember back in the technic days when I first learned crop breeding. T'was awesome when I finally got hops, and into brewing. I actually got some Redpower emeralds from a guy, because I proved to him, that drinking rum would give him a buff (I assume we both were new to brewing at that point).
Ya I miss the technic days. The game was so much simpler. But I cannot go back seeing all this new stuff.