Written by: Icanhazripper Original post: http://tekkify.com/forum/topic/410-ic2-crops-everything-you-should-know/ Copied here for fear of that forum going down (it is a server forum, so the chances of that are very real) There are several guides available on some forums. However, these guides are like snapshots of different phases of the entire process, and do not give an accurate picture. What I'm posting here is the result of over 300 hours of data collection and personal experience, plus some tips I think are useful. This doesn't mean you don't have to read up on what's already available, as they still provide good basic information. Disclaimer: some of the things I say will assume that you know certain basics about IC2 crops. If not, they can easily be googled. Also, this information is accurate as of present IC2 version. So lets start with the basics. Equipment Cropnalyzer 2 Energy crystals, one to power cropnalyzer, one being charged. You can use a Lappack to power the cropnalyzer too, but not Lapatron crystal. LV array and some windmills MFE (to charge energy crystals) Electric hoe Recycler (to clear all the unwanted shit into scrap, which can be used as fertilizers, which is bonemeal + scrap) Couple crop-matrons Lots and lots of wood logs for cropsticks. Not like 1 stack "lots", but more like 50 stacks "lot". Yes 50 stacks of logs. You don't need to get them all to start obviously, I'm just letting you know how much wood you'll be using, it's crazy. --- Intermittent tip #1: Macerating bones will give 5 bonemeals instead of 3 Intermittent tip #2: A fully analyzed crop will show all stats. To fully analyze a crop, use the cropnalyzer on the same seedbag over and over again. I came across a couple of players that stopped after 1 cycle and didn't know how to obtain the stats, so I thought I should add this here. Intermittent tip #3: You can save time by analyzing 2 seedbags at once. Place one seedbag at the top left corner. It will shift to the second slot. Place another seed bag at the top left corner. Now, click to pick up the first seed. The second seed will then shift to the second slot. Place the first seed back in the first slot to prepare it for it's 2nd analysis, then pick up the 2nd seed from the 2nd slot. Keep repeating the cycle. I know this sounds confusing, so if you get it, congratulations you will be saving hundreds of minutes analyzing new seedbags. If you don't, I don't know how else I can help you. --- Location Level 245 and above, swamp biome, NO EXCEPTIONS. Growing the same crop below level 240 shows a SIGNIFICANT difference in "growability" (not to be confused with growth rate). "Growability" is a complicated theory that I will discuss later. Basic Theory You start with low stats seeds, so you build a nursery to "build them up" until they are the levels you desire, then you mass plant them in fields. 3 plants I find useful: Ferru (for unlimited iron), Redwheat (for unlimited redstone), and Stickreeds (for unlimited rubber which is a good source of money income as well) Crop Types and Special Conditions http://forum.industr...d&threadID=4004 I just need to add 1 more special condition. All crops that drop dyes (flowers and cocoa) need at least light level 14 to be planted, meaning daylight or a torch right next to it. Also, Redwheat grows with light levels 5-10, not "redstone level" Starting Crops Highest tier crops you can get from natural means (ie non-crossbreeding) Terrawart, Netherwart, Cocoa. Don't bother with flowers or wheat. You may also wish to use melons and pumpkins since they grow faster than terra/netherwarts, though I wouldn't recommend that, it's just wasting time. Placement The best way to place your crops in your nursery is as follow: OX - XO XO - OX - - W - - XO - OX OX - XO O is the original seed you're using to crossbreed with X is the double cropsticks you're going to W is the water, above which you can place a crop-matron or a half block to stand on So basically, it's 4 sub-plots of 2x2, making a single what I like to call "nursery plot". I know people are going to argue with this, claiming a 3x3 or 9x9 is a better use of land etc. I will unequivocally tell you now that is all wrong and this is why. 1) Most effective use of seeds for crossbreeding. In this method, 2 seeds can crossbreed 2 crops (the 2 O's in a subsquare will crossbreed the 2 X's), giving it a 1-to-1 ratio 2) The 8 original seeds form an "X" with you standing in the center "W". Always keep to this pattern so you don't get confused with multiple nursery plots (and believe me, you WILL have multiple nursery plots) 3) Each plot is for one type of crop, so keeping them small reduces confusion and saves space 4) Standing on W lets you view and more importantly reach all 16 crops without moving, because even BREATHING on your crops is going to f**kin DESTROY THEM. 5) You can place a crop-matron on top of W and it will affect all 16 crops, the maximum range of a crop matron --- Intermittent tip #3: it is important to be able to reach all 16 crops without moving because moving WILL destroy your crops. They used to not destroy them like conventional crops, but after upgrading to 3.1.1 it changed. Your crops will be destroyed EVEN IF you crouch while moving on them, or just f**king TOUCH them, so be warned! (This gives more importance to Resistance somewhat, which will be elaborated more later) Intermittent tip #4: Place a glass panel (RP2 microblock. NOT COVER because cover will still allow you to walk under) 2 blocks above the crop. This will stop you from accidentally trampling on them, which give you maximum space below to interact with the crop. MUST be glass. I should take some screenshots but I'm too lazy, so ask a mod to do that or something. Facts About Tiers Many people say many things about tiers and how you can crossbreed. Here are the facts: Assuming you crossbreed crop A and crop B, there is a 45% chance you'll get A, 45% chance you'll get B, and 10% chance it'll be something else. So if you crossbreed 2 same plants, the chance to get the same plant again is 90%. What type of crop C will you get? There is a probability condition for both upside and bottomside. The range of tiers of crops you will most likely get is 1 tier above the higher tier crop and 1 tier below the lower tier crop. Meaning if you crossbreed a Tier V crop with a Tier III crop, you are most probably going to get a crop between Tier II and Tier VI (assuming this is the 10% chance of obtaining a new crop). However, this does not mean it is impossible to "jump tiers" This is very important because people keep arguing about this. I got my Aurelia (Tier VIII) by crossbreeding a netherwart and a reed (YES REED, not stickreed), a Tier V and a Tier II, which is why I was planting Aurelia waaayyy before I got my Ferru. This is just a fact tidbit though, and should not be relied for common practice, since the probability of the range I explained earlier is MUCH higher. [edit 21 Dec 2012] Click here for a rough guide on the fastest way to crossbreed a specific plant. Spoiler alert: it's cheating (results are gained from checking the source code)! So don't click if you want to do it yourself. Facts About Crossbreeding Crops become "ready" to crossbreed 2 stages before maturity (both original crops need to be at that stage). This means crops can crossbreed in the last 3 stages, including maturity, so you don't have to wait till when it's mature to place the double cropsticks. Ferru and Aurelia can still be successfully planted or crossbred even if the block under the dirt is not iron or gold ore. Having iron/gold ore does NOT increase the chance of crossbreeding ferru or aurelia, it merely allows the crop to mature. So if you see a crop that looks like the second last stage of ferru or aurelia (take a look at your texturepack or google to see what they look like), and that the crop doesn't mature in forever (coffee looks the same but has no such special conditions), then it's either ferru or aurelia. Simply place an iron ore below, then add fertilizers and hydration, and wait for 5 minutes. If it doesn't mature, replace iron ore with gold ore and repeat. One thing I have noticed but cannot replicate enough to confirm, is that Ferru/Aurelia in the 2nd last stage will drop seedbags only if they're on an iron/gold ore. The same crops "stuck" at their 2nd last stage without the ores will not drop seedbags when destroyed.