I live here now

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I'm not even 100% sure how I'm gonna do this. The only plan we have is that is the dividing line. Everything south of that mountain belongs to Tim and Rebecca. I will be King in the North :p

So, the goal is that I want to build a kick ass castle with room to explore mods, surrounding a minecolonies village representing my people. They are going to do the same, except mine will be much better :p.

I am not intending to be in a rush on anything. Gonna set up a basic home point to get started, and I want to avoid things like the quantum quarry for as long as I can stand it.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Sorry for the delay! I had to switch server providers. Shockbyte is the WORST.

Should be uploading everything tonight, then can start this world for realz over the weekend. Hopefully, will have something worth showing by the end of the long weekend. I might do more screenshots than video this time around. I'm not sure. Though, I did figure out how to jam optifine in there afterall, so I might not be able to resist the shader cinematics that I'm so addicted to. We'll see!

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Lame update: I didn't bother recording a video but I do finally have the server up and last night I got a chance to sit down and play for real for the first time in a while! I got into a trance and am almost totally set up with a base camp and a mine, with a speed boosted 3x3 AA drill, coffee maker, auto farmer, auto feeder. All the essentials!

I have yet to die, and I don't want to lose the bag enchantment for my starter bag that it comes with (a one-time use soulbound attachment) so I'm playing it like I'm playing on hardcore. We'll see how long that one lasts, lol.

Should have some good stuff by this weekend, though. Not only do I not have any plans, but I've been so busy for the last like 8 weekends, this one is specifically bookmarked for nothing but this. I live in a touristy area and will be basically landlocked, and I'm broke, so I ain't going NOWHERE. Nowhere but Minecraftlandville. For three glorious days.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

Here's the new seed. This pack has some real nice world generation. ATG has never looked better, now mixed with grass slabs and lots of structures. It's just beautiful. There's a lot of places I could set up shop and it'd still be this pretty.

But, I'm pissed because I picked too soon and Rebecca got the better looking plot I'm jealous! There's a reason I start with my plot. It's so its not a letdown, lol.

This is just the beginning of what will be a large minecolony. Double the default radius, and this will eventually be enclosed in castle walls. I wanted to be King in the North, bit it'll look more like Kings Landing. I have some really, really cool ideas on my head for this one. I kinda can't wait to see how it goes. It's still a pretty plot, too.

But damn what I couldn't do with that other plot if I found it first. Ugh. Maybe it's for the best. I'd get overwhelmed with ideas. These colonies are going to take up almost the whole view. Each spot that I'm circling around will be fully populated with pathways and fountains and who knows what else yet (im making a list and taking suggestions). That's a 200 block radius from the town hall, then the castle to look over it all. Gonna feature a lot of immerse engineering. I have some really neat ideas I don't want to share yet.

Most of this series will look like the above video in terms of graphics. That is exactly as it looks when I play and it's so much easier to work with. And still looks great. It's kinda what Minecraft should kinda look like, really. Again, this speaks to the solid mix atmospheric mods in this pack. I am rendering a 'before' clip and will probably break the shaders out after substantial progress, but most of them will just be with normal graphics.

Weekend's just gettin started! Can't wait to see what happens.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Well, no visual update because it doesn't look like much yet, but much progress and planning has gone on.

And I have to admit, much flinging around by motorized grappling hook from the clouds. Holy crap is that the best way to get around ever, lol. This will be included in every single modpack I ever do.

My other observations aren't as exciting so far, though. I'm running into two issues:

1) There is no ender storage. I tried making a vanilla ender chest but it's just not the same, and it doesn't have the pouch or the tank. I'm debating with myself whether to proceed with the proper progression or to add this mod in. Being that I've already sullied the experience by adding in OpenBlocks, it's not like I'm breaking some sacred vow by putting them in there. But, that will depend on whether or not there's a viable alternative. I'm here to play the pack, but I'm here to have fun, too. And having a partner with me (who is having a blast) means I can' just jump ship to, say, age of engineering, all willy nilly. But if I do that, where does it end? Do I go ahead and add in mob grinding utils as well, just out of convenience? I will have to ponder on this.

2) Minecolonies is, so far, and I could totally be missing some key stuff, but it's lamer than I was expecting. It's the cornerstone of my whole Idea here, though, so I have to work with it, but it's sooo much slower than I thought it would be. And much more cumbersome. I wasn't expecting to have to provide each an every piece of oak fence and spruce door and whatever. I thought I would build an item that lets them build a lumber mill, and that that lumber mill would then provide me with all the wood I would need for the next thing, etc. But they work soooo damn slooow, what they provide is nothing. Now, once I have a solid inventory management system in place, it's not so bad. I will be able to just pump in whatever I need to keep the chain moving, but it's just not how I thought it'd be so far.

And the part that is starting to concern me is that I can't figure out how to build any of the other stuff, like pathways, bridges and fountains and whatnot that I've seen in videos. Maybe I just need to read more into it, but I'm hoping that I wasn't watching some videos where someone else added in those other buildings or something, I don't know.

There's some good stuff, too, though. Not going to just be a negative nancy up in this. Openblocks is looking better than ever. Their new version of the liquid tanks works like one big multi-block liquid storage tank that you can build into whatever shape you want and it will hold and display whatever liquid you want. I'm using is to store a big tank full of XP even though I could make a barrel and store much much more in the same amount of space. I think that will look cool if I made a sort of mad scientist laboratory in the yet to be started main castle. I can have all kinds of potions and whatnot in there with some big tanks of different colored liquids to make everything look all mad sciency.

I am pretty well set up in the survivability department. I'm just out of room in my original little hut and it's time to build some serious storage and ore processing. This is one of my favorite parts of any modpack but I'm trying not to get too hung up on it all this time. I just need something functional.

I did find out just how awesome iron backpacks can be, though! For now, all mine does is pick up anything I mine, then condense redstone, lapis and coal into blocks for easier storage, as well as automatically converts my cobblestone into quadracobble on the fly! I can take my drill and mine for DAYS between the 3x3 drill, and the AA ring of magnetism. I don't even need to stop and pick stuff up. I just run right through with a full 2m battery in my inventory and everything gets gobbled up like it's nothin.

I'll post videos again when I have something to show. I don't want to stop and record every three hours again, lol.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Well, no visual update because it doesn't look like much yet, but much progress and planning has gone on.

And I have to admit, much flinging around by motorized grappling hook from the clouds. Holy crap is that the best way to get around ever, lol. This will be included in every single modpack I ever do.

My other observations aren't as exciting so far, though. I'm running into two issues:

1) There is no ender storage. I tried making a vanilla ender chest but it's just not the same, and it doesn't have the pouch or the tank. I'm debating with myself whether to proceed with the proper progression or to add this mod in. Being that I've already sullied the experience by adding in OpenBlocks, it's not like I'm breaking some sacred vow by putting them in there. But, that will depend on whether or not there's a viable alternative. I'm here to play the pack, but I'm here to have fun, too. And having a partner with me (who is having a blast) means I can' just jump ship to, say, age of engineering, all willy nilly. But if I do that, where does it end? Do I go ahead and add in mob grinding utils as well, just out of convenience? I will have to ponder on this.

2) Minecolonies is, so far, and I could totally be missing some key stuff, but it's lamer than I was expecting. It's the cornerstone of my whole Idea here, though, so I have to work with it, but it's sooo much slower than I thought it would be. And much more cumbersome. I wasn't expecting to have to provide each an every piece of oak fence and spruce door and whatever. I thought I would build an item that lets them build a lumber mill, and that that lumber mill would then provide me with all the wood I would need for the next thing, etc. But they work soooo damn slooow, what they provide is nothing. Now, once I have a solid inventory management system in place, it's not so bad. I will be able to just pump in whatever I need to keep the chain moving, but it's just not how I thought it'd be so far.

And the part that is starting to concern me is that I can't figure out how to build any of the other stuff, like pathways, bridges and fountains and whatnot that I've seen in videos. Maybe I just need to read more into it, but I'm hoping that I wasn't watching some videos where someone else added in those other buildings or something, I don't know.

There's some good stuff, too, though. Not going to just be a negative nancy up in this. Openblocks is looking better than ever. Their new version of the liquid tanks works like one big multi-block liquid storage tank that you can build into whatever shape you want and it will hold and display whatever liquid you want. I'm using is to store a big tank full of XP even though I could make a barrel and store much much more in the same amount of space. I think that will look cool if I made a sort of mad scientist laboratory in the yet to be started main castle. I can have all kinds of potions and whatnot in there with some big tanks of different colored liquids to make everything look all mad sciency.

I am pretty well set up in the survivability department. I'm just out of room in my original little hut and it's time to build some serious storage and ore processing. This is one of my favorite parts of any modpack but I'm trying not to get too hung up on it all this time. I just need something functional.

I did find out just how awesome iron backpacks can be, though! For now, all mine does is pick up anything I mine, then condense redstone, lapis and coal into blocks for easier storage, as well as automatically converts my cobblestone into quadracobble on the fly! I can take my drill and mine for DAYS between the 3x3 drill, and the AA ring of magnetism. I don't even need to stop and pick stuff up. I just run right through with a full 2m battery in my inventory and everything gets gobbled up like it's nothin.

I'll post videos again when I have something to show. I don't want to stop and record every three hours again, lol.

1) I love that there is no Ender Storage. Ender Storage is the reason why I've never needed a RailCraft setup to move things around. If you need interdimentional item travel, Botania (or one of it's add-ons) has a way of making the Vanilla Enderchest accessable to automation. Once you get into EnderIO, Dimensional Transceiver becomes an option as well. If nothing else, take a look at RFTools Storage Monitor and systems - it's quite powerful, if occasionally a touch unwieldy.

2) MineColonies starts off slow because all the workers are low level and only use crappy tools. Once you build higher level buildings, the tools you can give them can be more powerful, which speeds them up considerably. As they level, they also become faster at tasks, meaning a Lumberjack or two can quickly deforest a considerable area. Hang in there.

I answered the AASQ post, but I'll drop it here too. The Builder's Wand has decorations, but they are locked behind the level of your Builder's Hut (possibly Town Hall, now that I think of it, but I'm pretty sure it's the Builder). You can make your own decorations and use the Scan Tool as well. I know it can be done, but I've never done it, but you can create a building in creative mode, scan it, then import the scan into your current instance for survival builds. Might have to poke about on the MineColonies forum to find the answer if it's not straightforward, but you could potentially make them build your entire castle for you.

The Warehouse and Delivery Man are your best friends once you start getting set up. The delivery man will take overstock from the mines, sawmill, fishing hut, and bakery and deliver it to the Warehouse. He will also take supplies from the Warehouse to those places when they need them, allowing you to explore and do other projects while they mind their own. Higher level Delivery buildings can more more material per trip and tend to work more efficiently. Make sure to keep a stock of axes, picks, torches, fences, and the like in storage and you're on Easy Street.

Reactions: Drbretto and Pyure

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yeah, it turns out I hadn't read enough of the Wiki. I hadn't realized the potential of the warehouse and deliverymen. I will definitely be patient and see how this goes. I'm thinking it's the town hall that gives you the decorations at this point, though, because my builder's hut is already up a level and there's no difference. But either way, I'll keep going and see what happens! I'm just gonna let this whole thing develop itself over time, basically.

As for ender storage, I'm still on the fence. I do kind of like the idea of using a rail system to transport stuff. I like the idea of it moving around manually like that. And I think enderIO has a way to teleport the carts as well.

For now, I will continue to progress without it. It has kinda been my binkie and I should learn to persevere without it. Worst case, I still have my handy dandy grappling hook to get around pretty quickly, so it might not be so bad. And now I get to imagine designing a complicated system to move stuff around, so there's that.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't know about this. Do you have any details?

ToAsgaard uses it in conjunction with the Corperea system. I think it's this episode, but I'm at work and can't double check.

@Drbretto I know it's hard to let go of the convenience, but if you don't, you're going to miss out on new ways to tackle old problems. It's simple, reliable, and easy, but isn't it more fun to challenge yourself? If nothing else, it makes you appreciate the mods you love that much more.

Last edited:

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
@Drbretto I know it's hard to let go of the convenience, but if you don't, you're going to miss out on new ways to tackle old problems. It's simple, reliable, and easy, but isn't it more fun to challenge yourself? If nothing else, it makes you appreciate the mods you love that much more.

Yeah. I prefer to think of it more like, I GET to design a whole railcraft-based inventory management system.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Come to the train side. *whistle blows* We have amusing death messages.

Seriously, not to *ahem* toot my own horn but I've got an entire series dedicated to doing stuff with trains. Of course I've got the dual advantages of being in 1.7.10, and Logistic's Pipes for the short distance stuff and the autocrafting. (Of course I also have the nightmare headache of trying to get LP and Storage Drawers to work together intelligently, but that's my own fault.)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
What I need to do is watch literally any Minecraft video, lol. I have a hard time doing it. It feels like cheating almost. It's weird. So far, just like I have done life, lol, I just go from one thing that catches my eye to the next. I have generally only looked up what the components do, generally just as a solution to a problem. If I get any idea from someone else, I feel guilty using it. I still feel like I need to cite the random youtuber that demonstrated the basic concept that I used as a base for my vanilla autofarm. And that was literally the first redstone thing I ever built, lol

Which is stupid. I'll never know the full potential of any mod that way. I should watch some videos.

KingTriaxx, requisition me a link.

Edit: which I may or may not get to, lol. It's hard to watch videos at work, but I can read and write all day.

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Okay, so here's my latest video: E86 Modded Minecraft with Triaxx2

And, should you get stuck while Railcrafting, here's the tutorials I did: Railcraft Tutorials

Also, about ninety percent of the minecraft videos consist of people doing absolutely everything they can to avoid Railcraft for no reason I can fathom. Bevo is probably the next person I'd point to as really willing to use it.

Reactions: Pyure and Drbretto

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016

Quick update. Unfortunately, the pack, or my configuration, is a little buggy. Could be that I need to upgrade the server. Whatever it is, it's hard to record contiguous playthroughs. The exploration aspects of the pack make recording difficult as well.

So, instead of a time lapse, we have a demonstration of the only way to get around in minecraft. Oh grappling hook mod, where have you been all my life? The double hook doesn't have durability and it can go in the offhand slot. The moment I put it there, my life as I knew it would change forever.

It's like if Spider Man was Batman. Using it to run through relatively flat land feels like I'm galloping with big, stretchy gorilla arms. When I'm flying through the forest, like I do in the video here, I feel like a monkey flying through the set of a Naruto travel scene. And, not pictured here, I can also just shoot the clouds in the sky, get pulled up and jump over the clouds and switch to the open blocks hang glider.

I don't even want an angel ring.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Yeah, it's a pretty plot. I always spend hours and hours resetting until I find a pretty spot. I scout it out for a few minutes, them fall in love with it it delete it.

This pack has a really nice mix of worldgen mods that combine for some real pretty scenery. ATG, of course, is the biggest one. It makes plains into sweeping Highlands. Another mod, I forget which, adds that really nice touch of using grass slabs to smooth out the hills. It's the biggest thing that works here. And of course, all of the structures that can spawn.

The big Mayan temple made a nice background for my first camp, won't lie, lol. I leveled another building and it had left behind an outline. I used that to erect a fort in the middle of my colony as my second home. You can see the foundation in the last video.

This isn't the huge, sprawling castle I had envisioned, but that's probably wise. I can always go big later. This is just big enough to set up a significant inventory management system and enough room to setup some machines. This has developed quite a bit. I might get a time lapse up later.

I'm doing all this while trying to tend to my colony, which I'm only now realizing I messed up and made everything out of sandstone instead of wood. I don't know where to switch it or if I can, but with everything up to level 3 or so, I'm afraid of what that would take to catch back up. I might have to live with it.

And, I'm only just now realizing the potential for iron backpacks. I barely even need an actual place to store stuff. With the right upgrades, this can really do a lot. I just today found out how to equip it instead of leaving it on the bar. I run everything off an Xbox controller and I had to remap a thing it two, but having this and my glider off the bar, and the grappling hook on the off hand slot is more convenient than it sounds on paper. I'm working on designing a nesting group of bags with automatic pickups and as much processing as possible. I am stuck, out of all things, on eggs. It looks like I have to figure out how to tame some chickens.

Anyone know if there's any way to determine the priorities for bags picking things up? I wanted to pull the silent's gems out of the mining bag with the mod filter, but the mining bag picked it up anyway.

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015

Quick update. Unfortunately, the pack, or my configuration, is a little buggy. Could be that I need to upgrade the server. Whatever it is, it's hard to record contiguous playthroughs. The exploration aspects of the pack make recording difficult as well.

So, instead of a time lapse, we have a demonstration of the only way to get around in minecraft. Oh grappling hook mod, where have you been all my life? The double hook doesn't have durability and it can go in the offhand slot. The moment I put it there, my life as I knew it would change forever.

It's like if Spider Man was Batman. Using it to run through relatively flat land feels like I'm galloping with big, stretchy gorilla arms. When I'm flying through the forest, like I do in the video here, I feel like a monkey flying through the set of a Naruto travel scene. And, not pictured here, I can also just shoot the clouds in the sky, get pulled up and jump over the clouds and switch to the open blocks hang glider.

I don't even want an angel ring.
Fun fact: there's actually been grappling hooks a few times before - most prominent in my mind are the ones that cropped up in Hexxit (basically one of my first ever forays into playing modded minecraft so it really sticks in my brain!), added by Better Dungeons. You could do similar things with practice, though it looks like the one you're using is very user friendly, and a bit more straightforward to get the hang of!

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I remember Etho playing with one in his modded 1.7 series, and the final version of Thaumcraft had a wand focus with that function. Plus the Zelda mod had a hookshot.

This one looks a bit more easy to use though.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
Well, I was up about 2 hours later than I would like to have been trying to make a neat little timelapse for you all, but this modpack, for all its awesomeness, is a bit on the buggy side. Randomly, I will get a little pause in-game, which is not a big deal while playing at all, but when I go to record something, the game cold crashes at that point every time. Sadface, because I spent a decent amount of time and effort getting a perfect camera path and all that, but nope. This is especially unfortunate because Minecolonies is a perfect mod for a timelapse, especially now that everything is flowing smoothly. I can still record, but it'll end up having to be more real-time updates or whatever, which just isn't as interesting as watching it get made in the first place.

If it was just me, I'd have restarted with a brand new custom modpack already. But, it's not, so we're sticking with it. I'm having a blast with it, it's just the recording that's got me bummed. I do need to do more of the questing. I'm not sure how far that even goes. I've gotten the invite to the Slayer's Guild and my first Slayers Guild quest, but I can't find either of the two things I need to kill to proceed.