I know it gets asked a lot... but

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Douxo

Jul 29, 2019
I have read through a lot of threads regarding power gen.
90% of replies are people saying "use bigreactors" "my bigreactor does XRF/t" etc.
I hate big reactors, i feel like its cheating, its really a big cop out.

My question is, i need a closed circuit power gen, that is self sufficient, regardless material requirement or setup time.

Not chasing after Reactorcraft Fusion reactor style setup, just something smaller that puts out more than the avrg 80rf/t.

Currently i am using 2 High pressure steam boilers, which are fed by Jungle wood MFR farm. Although this is a nice method, its spewing a huge amount of jungle saplings out. Non-jungle trees arn't fast enough. Plus it takes a big line of 80rf/t steam dynamos to make the power anyway.

TLDR
Need a self sufficient high output power source that isnt a mass produced 80rf/t engine, that ISNT bigreactors.

knn03

Jul 29, 2019
In my last Infinity world I had an ethanol powered system until midgame then I slowly shifted towards solar power. I had a huge MFR farm and used the apples and saplings to make biomass then ethanol and fed about a dozen beefed up compression engines. Eventually I created an ethanol ocean world, which is super cheaty. But even without the ethanol world I managed to get decent power production from the farm alone, though I did breed some trees to get the good traits, mainly high sappiness from blue mahoe. The dynamos aren't really bad at 640 RF/t each.

Douxo

Jul 29, 2019
Whats the name of the engine that puts out 640rf/t? (Currently playing FTB Monster)

knn03

Jul 29, 2019
You're out of luck in Monster but in later versions of Thermal Expansions there are augments you can insert into dynamos for increased power generation at the cost of fuel economy.

Douxo

Jul 29, 2019
the only mod that keeps me playing in monster instead of moving into the newer ones, is Modular Power Suits. Is it updated for the new packs?

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I have read through a lot of threads regarding power gen.
90% of replies are people saying "use bigreactors" "my bigreactor does XRF/t" etc.
I hate big reactors, i feel like its cheating, its really a big cop out.

My question is, i need a closed circuit power gen, that is self sufficient, regardless material requirement or setup time.

Not chasing after Reactorcraft Fusion reactor style setup, just something smaller that puts out more than the avrg 80rf/t.

Currently i am using 2 High pressure steam boilers, which are fed by Jungle wood MFR farm. Although this is a nice method, its spewing a huge amount of jungle saplings out. Non-jungle trees arn't fast enough. Plus it takes a big line of 80rf/t steam dynamos to make the power anyway.

TLDR
Need a self sufficient high output power source that isnt a mass produced 80rf/t engine, that ISNT bigreactors.

So then, put the saplings into fermenters to produce biofuel, which you can then use to run additional liquid fueled steam boilers.

This uses your sapling excess.

Then, build a big reactors steam turbine - I'm pretty sure it runs off Railcraft steam - to convert the steam into energy.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
In Monster , I used a Magnetostatic Engine (Rotarycraft) to power a Igneous Extruder (TE) fed Rock Melter (Rotarycraft) to generate Lava. This Lava was looped to a bank of TE Magmatic Dynamos which fed power to the original engine. This generates a metric shitton of Lava which can then be used to power your RF or EU needs.

Note that this will not work if you update Rotarycraft at all, as Reika put the nerf hammer down hard on that shortly after. Monster never updated RoC though, so unless you did it manually, this works. Unfortunately, it does still leave you feeding a large number of Dynamos, as BR is one of the few mods there to generate that kind of power without spam.