I keep crashing my server (Unleashed 1.1.3), help.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
I'm hoping someone can suggest, maybe, what I'm doing wrong because I haven't been able to figure out what combination of stupid I put together that keeps bringing this server to its knees.

I have a small base a bit away from spawn. I have attempted to confirm (via /chunkloaders) that no part of the base is inside the spawn's chunkloaded area, and I believe it to be the case..I think I'm about 2 chunks outside.

I setup an MFR treefarm. The server worked fine.
I setup biofuel generators using the saplings. Again, worked fine.
I setup a boiler, the server worked fine...until I logged off...as soon as I logged off, the server went nuts. You could login, but not do anything. About 1 frame per minute until you were disconnected and the server died.

The server admin eventually brought the world down to a single player instance, logged in fine, and removed a chunk from the boiler and then the server was able to work again.

I was baffled, but decided, 'ok, no boilers'. Tried something else, and the server crashed again in the same fashion (I don't remember what it was this time).

Resolved, 'hell, no automation!' and started playing with bees.

Well, last night I decided to try a squid-powered farm. Setup the ranchers and the squid, ran extra utilities pipe to my biogenerators, everything's running great...I go to the nether, and the server crashes. I'm afraid the same thing's happened again.

I am at a loss. I do not know WHAT I am doing that is so bad. I've run all of these setups (except the squid farm..that was new) on a different server with zero issues. The only thing I can think of is that I'm too close to spawn and one tiny piece of my automation is being loaded and causing problems, but I just don't see how. Anyone have any ideas?

Gimply Goose

Jul 29, 2019
I can't really explain it all right now. I am on my phone. My server was hit with it pretty hard though. Feel free to look it up yourself. Some keywords from the top of my head:
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space
Exception in thread "Server thread"

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
You are going to need to have your server admin come into the thread and give us the server crash logs, not being able to see that kind of thing you aren't going to be able to give us the information we need to track down the issue.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
How much memory does your server have ? I have a small 2GB virtual server setup and I'm usually at around 50% RAM use, even with a pretty large setup that includes 10 boilers, 180 engines, tons of bees, several farms, about 100x other machines of various kinds, a large AE system, several chunkloaders in the overworld and a couple of MystCraft worlds, etc.,.

Here's my server setup:

minecraft@miguknamja:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2011 1937 73 0 72 222
-/+ buffers/cache: 1642 368
Swap: 0 0 0

minecraft@miguknamja:~$ ps -ef | grep ftb
root 1946 1944 0 Sep18 ? 00:00:00 /bin/bash /etc/init.d/ftb start
1000 2055 1 0 Sep18 ? 00:00:00 SCREEN -h 1024 -dmS ftb java -Xmx1500M -Xms512M -XX:permSize=128m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:parallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -jar ftbserver.jar nogui
root 2057 1946 0 Sep18 ? 00:00:00 su - minecraft -c /home/minecraft/ftb/CrashRestart.sh
1000 2058 2057 0 Sep18 ? 00:00:00 /bin/bash /home/minecraft/ftb/CrashRestart.sh
1000 2064 2055 24 Sep18 pts/0 09:43:38 java -Xmx1500M -Xms512M -XX:permSize=128m -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:parallelGCThreads=2 -XX:+AggressiveOpts -jar ftbserver.jar nogui

Hmmm...I may be *at* 128m "PermGen" if that's what "PermSize" is. But, it seems to work. I monitor server memory usage and reset every day when memory leaks slowly consume the RAM. Speaking of which...

*resets server*

There's, that's better:

minecraft@miguknamja:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2011 1164 846 0 37 341
-/+ buffers/cache: 785 1225

Swap: 0 0 0

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks folks. I asked the server admin to up the permgen and it made a pretty big difference on server responsiveness. He made frowny faces about how it wasn't defaulted higher.