I do not have a good enough CPU for minecraft.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
I have a i5 and everything else checks out, but the i5 is 650. recommended is around i5 7000 series or something. Pretty sure thats the problem. New computer nothing on it. I can't run even van mc but a 3-5 f/s.

Anything I can do, say video card or something to right the ship?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I have a i5 and everything else checks out, but the i5 is 650. recommended is around i5 7000 series or something. Pretty sure thats the problem. New computer nothing on it. I can't run even van mc but a 3-5 f/s.

Anything I can do, say video card or something to right the ship?

We need more details on your setup before we can answer. You've told us your CPU but:

What is it's clock speed?
Is this a Desktop or a laptop system?
How much ram do you have?
What is your current graphics situation?
What OS are you running?
What version of Java?
Are both OS and Java 32 or 64 bit?

If, as you say, you only see 3-5 fps running vanilla, any one or combination of the above situations could have an effect.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
We need more details on your setup before we can answer. You've told us your CPU but:

What is it's clock speed?
Is this a Desktop or a laptop system?
How much ram do you have?
What is your current graphics situation?
What OS are you running?
What version of Java?
Are both OS and Java 32 or 64 bit?

If, as you say, you only see 3-5 fps running vanilla, any one or combination of the above situations could have an effect.
3.3 ghz i5 650
Desktop
8 ram
Integrated graphic cpu
Win10 pro
Latest Java 8
OS 64. Not sure about java.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Your CPU should be ok since Minecraft only uses a single core.

I'm using a Ryzen 5 1600 that has a base clock of 3.2MHz right now and seeing at least 120fps
! also have 16GB Ram and a GTX 1060 w/6GB

Beyond that I'd say we have fairly equivalent systems.

If your Java allows you to allocate 4GB or more then it's a 64-bit version... 32 bit Java uses an absolute maximum of 4GB due to the 32-bit size of the address bus, I.E Hardware limited.

Here are some suggestions for you to consider.

In order of importance:

1) Integrated Graphics are generally bad for gaming, especially AAA Games... First off they need to use part of the total installed ram for Video, reducing what's available for OS and Apps. Second, since the graphics have to share the same memory bus with the CPU neither can operate at full efficiency. Any separate GPU card will help, even a $70 cheapie.
1) Ram. If you're trying to run a MC v1.12.x pack then you will want to have 6-8GB ram allocated for Java. With 1.7.10 packs you can get away with 4GB... I'm not sure where the requirement changed in between. Your Integrated graphics is staling a chunk of that ram and you still need up to a couple of Gb for the OS and anything you try to run in a separate window.

Adding a GPU card will allow you to disable the Internal GPU, releasing the memory it was using for use by the rest of the system as well as allowing the CPU to work on application tasks full time. Now is a good time for that since GPUs are back to normal prices, although if Nvidia announces new cards tomorrow (8/20) the current prices may drop even further.

Ram is still a bit expensive. Depending on your motherboard config (2 or 4 ram sockets) You may have several options:

1) If you have 2 sockets with 1 8GB part installed you can add another 8GB part for under $100

2) If you have 2 sockets with 2 4GB parts you'll have to replace then with 8GB parts to upgrade to 16GB (less than $200).

3) If you have 4 sockets and 2 4GB parts you can add another 2 4GB also for under $100.

4) As another option with 4 sockets and 2 4GB parts you could add 2 8GB parts for less that $200 and have a total of 24GB, assuming your board allows that configuration (check the manual).

You'll also want to make sure all the memory parts are rated for same clock speed.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
looking at that GPU. to free up the cpu, is 2gb good enough or should it be a 4gb? the difference is like a 100$

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Vanilla minecraft should run perfectly fine on your system. And even modded 1.12 could run with 4 GB assigned, assuming your instance is light-weight enough.

The current vanilla launcher comes with its own java install. Check the settings for your minecraft instance in the launcher, if set to default it will use the build-in java.

As for the graphics card; I've run minecraft on a 512 MB VRAM card in the past, the VRAM is used to store textures, and minecraft textures are famous for being very low res. So the 2GB option is perfectly fine, as long as you don't plan to install an extremely high res texture pack.

Though, that said, are you planning to buy a card only for minecraft?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
looking at that GPU. to free up the cpu, is 2gb good enough or should it be a 4gb? the difference is like a 100$

It all boils down to your motherboard implementation.

Ram can be implemented several ways, referred to as "channels".

Single channel refers to ram accessed one stick at a time. If you have 2 ram sticks, the CPU will start at stick one and fill that before putting anything in stick two.

Dual channel refers to accessing memory 2 sticks at a time, to get by having to wait on ram. The first datum will be stored in stick 1, the second in stick 2, then back to stick one, etc. This used to be called "Memory Interleaving".

Quad channel is the same idea, but using 4 sticks in the "round Robin"

The latest intel board released for the next CPU coming supports "Hex channel"

Each of these improves system performance over the previous method. Most systems these days support dual channel, hence having 2 ram sticks installed. You must use matched ram sticks as a pair but each pair may not need to be the same... Again, consult your manual to see what is supported.

Adding a 2GB pair should work, I just didn't think of that option... I usually look to optimize my slots :D If I upgrade this motherboard I'll probably add a 32GB pair and move my 16GB pair to the second bank, for example.

Reactions: Drbretto

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
FYI, if you haven't heard, today (8/20) Nvidia announced the RTX 2000 series of cards...
RTX 2070 - $499
RTX 2080 - $699
RTX 2080ti - $999

I imagine GTX cards will be dropping in price soon :D

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
It all boils down to your motherboard implementation.

Ram can be implemented several ways, referred to as "channels".

Single channel refers to ram accessed one stick at a time. If you have 2 ram sticks, the CPU will start at stick one and fill that before putting anything in stick two.

Dual channel refers to accessing memory 2 sticks at a time, to get by having to wait on ram. The first datum will be stored in stick 1, the second in stick 2, then back to stick one, etc. This used to be called "Memory Interleaving".

Quad channel is the same idea, but using 4 sticks in the "round Robin"

The latest intel board released for the next CPU coming supports "Hex channel"

Each of these improves system performance over the previous method. Most systems these days support dual channel, hence having 2 ram sticks installed. You must use matched ram sticks as a pair but each pair may not need to be the same... Again, consult your manual to see what is supported.

Adding a 2GB pair should work, I just didn't think of that option... I usually look to optimize my slots :D If I upgrade this motherboard I'll probably add a 32GB pair and move my 16GB pair to the second bank, for example.
I could be wrong, but I think you went down the road of system RAM... I was referring to video card ram.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Sorry :oops:

The amount of video ram you need will depend on if Minecraft is the only game you play, and also if you intend to use shaders in Minecraft. I read in these forums a couple of years ago that 2GB video ram was becoming problematic as textures pushed into 32 and 64 bit territory.

If you want to play other AAA games Id get no less than 4GB or you'll be looking at another replacement perhaps sooner than you want.

Also, judging by the MSRPs for the RTX 2000 cards announced today (see my post above) I expect to see the GTX cards to drop, perhaps by the $100 you mentioned or more.

C

crate

I stopped playing when unleashed fell into disarray, my old laptop couldnt hack any newer packs. now im back and trying out inifity beyond but credentials are going stupid on me...