How would I slow game progression down?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Latest gregtech imo is you best answer. in 1.6 it takes 300 bronze to get a single drop of EU. All armor and tools require plates which takes 2 ingots to make by hand with a hammer. The difference between 1.6 gregtech and 1.4.7 gregtech is vast. They hardly are the same mod. He has made it so much harder its not even funny. All regular ic2 machines require steel to make. You need steel to get into the nether.. etc... Also AE has configs to make its power use be way more expensive.

Reactions: zorn

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Well unhinged is 1.5 I would wait for the 1.6 version. But yes unhinged would be a good stepping stone. Because the jump is insane. For instance I understand a fusion reactor is vastly more difficult then it was in 1.4.7

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
hmm, maybe unhinged is where I need to go then. Thanks.

I don't think Unhinged is the way to go. At least not till 1.6. That's when Gregtech truly taxes you. Have a look at the recipe for an iron pick and see how long a stone one lasts for. It's horribly difficult/grindy. It was like an hour mining and sitting infront of a crafting table before I got an iron pick. Imagine The Walls with Gregtech...

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Well, that sounds "fun" :D

One other idea is to use custom ore generation, and really lower the spawn rates. With the resources being so rare, you'll be more careful as to what you'd use them on.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Well, that sounds "fun" :D

One other idea is to use custom ore generation, and really lower the spawn rates. With the resources being so rare, you'll be more careful as to what you'd use them on.

I thought about this but then thought it would make hand mining frustrating. But it is definitely worth investigating.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
I thought about this but then thought it would make hand mining frustrating. But it is definitely worth investigating.

For this specifically it would be nice to have a mod that could add ore generation that instead of replacing stone replaces ores in vanilla generation. For example copper & tin replacing some iron; silver, lead, and ferrous replacing gold, redstone, and lapis(not respectively just 3v3). Thought that could be too low. Maybe it could just work after initial generation that way you could boost TE generation of vanilla ores slightly to make it a little better. That way mining by hand would be able the same as vanilla.

TheAbstractHippo

Jul 29, 2019
You could make stupidly complex builds! Make things WAYYY more complicated then they should be.

Like, hey, that tree farm? It goes from, say, the MultiFarm to furnaces and fermenters to engines and boilers. Add 2-3 more steps in between. For example, make the saplings into IC2 plant balls with a BC auto crafting table.

Xris

Jul 29, 2019
How about this:

A) "One of a kind": You limit yourself to a single instance of each energy producing machine (different variants are OK, as long as there is no identical ones).

B) "Equilibrium overload": Each power producing machine or group of machines have to be connected to a power storage unit. If it becomes full, it should trigger a small explosion at your power producers.

IOh I like this idea a lot. Thanks I might just use them in my next world. ;)

Bgraywolf

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting Ideas here..

I have been thinking about the following to help extend gameplay:

1. Remove the ability for water source block to create new source blocks (greg had one on his website I believe) . Boilers would be interesting if you had to source the water first.

2. Only using oil and fuel to power everything. Makes bees a priority but it would be an interesting gate to pass.

3. No autominers, you want it, you need to get it.

4. Installing a couple of the different zombie behavior mods to make the world more dangerous. Might be a different game if I have to worry about survival a bit more

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
You could make stupidly complex builds! Make things WAYYY more complicated then they should be.

Like, hey, that tree farm? It goes from, say, the MultiFarm to furnaces and fermenters to engines and boilers. Add 2-3 more steps in between. For example, make the saplings into IC2 plant balls with a BC auto crafting table.

I think this is where I run into frustration with mods that simplify things. I like very complex builds... but I like to take something complicated and figure it out, and automate it and simplify it as much as possible. "hey look i figured out how to power all the machines in this building in a way that saved resources and simplified all the wiring!"

I don't enjoy taking simple mods and trying to make them more complex. It seems a lot do though.

Reactions: TheAbstractHippo

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
On point 4, on my omega dawn server we have Zombie Awareness, Primitive Mobs, Infernal Mobs, a heavily configured hunger overhaul and play on hard mode.

First few days is like vanilla on drugs. You really need to get yourself somewhere safe and establish a good source of food (otherwise it's zombie flesh for breakfast, and that does less for your hunger). Plus definitely don't go out at night (at first).
After that, we've found the big challenge is actually Rocket and Festive Creepers. Rocket Creepers take off and land and explode, while Festive Creepers actually launch TNT at you while keeping their distance.

All combined, you need to change your game style to deal with better AI zombies and mobs that can turn your base into a large hole in the ground.
It does slow you down at the start, and does cause some extra slowdown throughout the game as you need to think defenses and lighting. It's a pure survival change. Once past that, you'll still get the situation of amassing a lot of resources quickly.

Another thing we do is that the server has Twilight Forest, but you can only access that via Stargate mod (as server admin I place a stargate in the Twilight Forest and the diamond in pool portal is disabled for non-OP). So players have to build or find a stargate and fuel it first before able to go rape TF for its resources.

Reactions: glepet1962 and zorn

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
On point 4, on my omega dawn server we have Zombie Awareness, Primitive Mobs, Infernal Mobs, a heavily configured hunger overhaul and play on hard mode.

First few days is like vanilla on drugs. You really need to get yourself somewhere safe and establish a good source of food (otherwise it's zombie flesh for breakfast, and that does less for your hunger). Plus definitely don't go out at night (at first).
After that, we've found the big challenge is actually Rocket and Festive Creepers. Rocket Creepers take off and land and explode, while Festive Creepers actually launch TNT at you while keeping their distance.

All combined, you need to change your game style to deal with better AI zombies and mobs that can turn your base into a large hole in the ground.
It does slow you down at the start, and does cause some extra slowdown throughout the game as you need to think defenses and lighting. It's a pure survival change. Once past that, you'll still get the situation of amassing a lot of resources quickly.

Another thing we do is that the server has Twilight Forest, but you can only access that via Stargate mod (as server admin I place a stargate in the Twilight Forest and the diamond in pool portal is disabled for non-OP). So players have to build or find a stargate and fuel it first before able to go rape TF for its resources.

Im going to check out the mods that make mobs harder thanks.

On twilight forest, do you mean the hollow hills or just that 'sea level' is at level 34 instead of 64, so quarrying down to where the rarer resources are is easier? Ive never heard of twilight changes ore generation or not.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Im going to check out the mods that make mobs harder thanks.

On twilight forest, do you mean the hollow hills or just that 'sea level' is at level 34 instead of 64, so quarrying down to where the rarer resources are is easier? Ive never heard of twilight changes ore generation or not.

Probably a bit of both. In my experience a medium hollow hill(fairly common) can hold 2-6k iron & coal, half stack of diamonds, 1-3k redstone, 500-1k lapis & glowstone, and 500~2k gold. Larger hills can easily double those values and sometimes triple.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
You want Gregtech for 1.6.4, but you also want your configs adjusted. Disable all other mods' copper/tin/silver/lead gen, and use Gregtech's Galena, Bauxite, Cassiterite, and Tetrahedrite.

Also, enable GT's automatic adventure mode. It changes the game a lot, and also prevents acquisition of Bees until you have a mining laser (or Thaumcraft 4's mining focus).

edit: Also, yeah, I think GT has a feature to disable infinite water.

Last edited: