How to only fill items when necessary?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
I have a Forestry Multifarm setup, but a problem I've run into is figuring out how to make it only refill the Saplings and Fertilizer and items when needed. I want the items to be able to go to a collection chest, and then have them only pumped out when the farm actually has room to accept them.

As you probably know they just get wasted if the farm doesn't have room, because they get thrown all over the ground. I tried to create a loop system using Obsidian Pipes on the areas where they fall to put the items back in the chest, but it's so many pipes and is just a mess. And then there's also entities everywhere, because the pipes don't always catch all the items, which creates lag if I plan to have many of these farms running.

There's got to be a simpler way, for it only to pull an item when it can take it. I saw nothing in the Turtle API though that could check available inventory spaces in a block, such as a farm. And I don't know of any way to do it with Buildcraft pipes.

I have a feeling the answer is going to be Redpower, but unfortunately I really know nothing about it other than it's computers, since they're interesting. I know some Redpower device can pull only certain items from a chest, which would be nice since then I wouldn't need separate barrels to collect items from, but I don't know what it is.

If anyone can tell me whether or not this is possible and how to do it that'd be nice.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Check out buildcraft Gates, or read one of the many threads on these very forums on the subject.

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
Check out buildcraft Gates, or read one of the many threads on these very forums on the subject.

I knew about those but logically I thought since the Multifarm has more than one inventory, whenever one has room, it could send a redpipe signal and not know which item to pull, so if it pulls the wrong item then it just pops out and you've got the same problem.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
There are additional conditions on gates to detect soil/fertilizer/sapling/etc. separately.

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
There are additional conditions on gates to detect soil/fertilizer/sapling/etc. separately.

Did not know that. I'll see about it. However I can still imagine a problem of it sending multiple pulses and pulling more than one item when it only needs one. So if anyone else knows of a way that doesn't do that, that'd be nice. Meanwhile I'll check out if it's possible to do this method with gates in a mostly flawless way.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Clay Golems from thaumcraft or manager from redpower 2 can stock inventories to a target level.

One advanced clay golem can probably manage the entire farm inputs unless there are sided inventory issues. Then you might need a golem for each side you interact with. I havn't played around with the new farms much, but i thought it was mostly 'any side' input, so it should work well with a golem.

silenos

Jul 29, 2019
Did not know that. I'll see about it. However I can still imagine a problem of it sending multiple pulses and pulling more than one item when it only needs one. So if anyone else knows of a way that doesn't do that, that'd be nice. Meanwhile I'll check out if it's possible to do this method with gates in a mostly flawless way.

The conditions actually allow for a big buffer, you can set them to e.g. soil<32 (or was it 64?) which leaves you with plenty of buffer space.

superriku11

Jul 29, 2019
The conditions actually allow for a big buffer, you can set them to e.g. soil<32 (or was it 64?) which leaves you with plenty of buffer space.

I didn't know that either. That makes me really want to try it out. I'll see how well that works. :)

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that you could do this with the smart wooden golems from thaumcraft, or the manager from redpower if you're using tubes.

Vtecem

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like you might want a diamond OR gate which could set multiple conditions independent of each other.

FavoriteFox

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use pneumatic tubes to fill up the inventories without using gates but you have to connect the humus to the narrow side and the fertilizer to the long side (if you use a 3x5). After some derping around I got it to work with item tesseracts: