How To: Manually remove Java from windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
First and foremost, I would like to say that in most cases, you should NOT attempt to do this if you are not confident with what you are doing. It is a simple process, yet if you accidentally delete something you are not supposed to, it can have detrimental effects on your system. Always try removing java from the "Uninstall Programs" section of the Control Panel before attempting manual removal of any program.

If you do this, you do so at your own risk. I, nor anyone on this site, take any responsibility for your actions.

What you will need:

the most up to date version of Java JRE from http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

a registry cleaner (I use ccleaner)

an account with ADMINISTRATOR privileges.

Step 1: what to delete

the follow directories should be removed first if they exist

C:\Program Files\Java
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java

after deleting these folders you must navigate to your %appdata% folder

in the search under the start menu, type in %appdata% or appdata depending on your version of windows.

the following directory should be removed from appdata

AppData/LocalLow/Sun

now there a few other java files located in the system32 and the sysWOW64 that are not required to be removed nor will i list them here. if they really need to be removed, then you are very much doing something wrong or are a programmer and know when/if they need to be removed. just know removing anything from these two directories can cause your system to be unstable so as i advise against it as installing a newer version of java actually overwrites these files instead of making a new instance of the JRE as it does with the above three locations.

step 2: restart your computer

nuff said

step 3: edit your registry (optional-ish)

editing the registry is not for an inexperienced user. modifying the registry in any way can severely muck up your system if you do it wrong. If you choose to do this: i advise using a professional registry cleaner like ccleaner. simply run the cleaner, making sure you create a system restore point when asked.

step 4: repeating steps 2 and 3 (if you did step 3)

typically, registry cleaners do not find all registry errors until they have been run 3 to 4 times. repeat steps 2 and 3 until there are no registry errors found.

step 5: installing java

if you have not already, download the newest java jre from the link above. be sure you are downloading the version needed for your processor. x86 for 32 bit systems and x64 for 64 bit systems. run the file.

step 6: restart your computer

yup, again. this is the last one though.

Congrats! You've manually removed and updated your java! This should solve any problems with the occasional "leftovers" from updating java a lot. hopefully you didn't accidentally delete anything else.

~Eyamaz

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
:)
Though you really don't have to do the registry cleaner, as long as you turn your computer off and on again after the uninstall.

Reactions: Eyamaz

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
i prefer to be a little safer, as registry errors creep up, and can slow down your computer and (in the case of some .NET applications, not sure about java) cause errors.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
i prefer to be a little safer, as registry errors creep up, and can slow down your computer and (in the case of some .NET applications, not sure about java) cause errors.
But, as with every form of how-to and tech support, you're going to have people who have NO idea what they're doing, but insist "it can't be that hard", then they'll screw up and blame you.

'Cover thy ass' :p

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
Hence...

If you do this, you do so at your own risk. I, nor anyone on this site, take any responsibility for your actions.
though i should probably bold that...

edit: bolded and stand out-able

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Hence...

though i should probably bold that...
In my experience, no matter how many times you tell someone "at own risk", "not for inexperienced users", etc. they'll always find a way to blame you. And that's a pretty shitty feeling. More so the "Damn I could have avoided this idiot effing up by simply dumbing it down more" rather than "Oh he thinks I broke it"

;)

Eyamaz

Jul 29, 2019
In my experience, no matter how many times you tell someone "at own risk", "not for inexperienced users", etc. they'll always find a way to blame you. And that's a pretty shitty feeling. More so the "Damn I could have avoided this idiot effing up by simply dumbing it down more" rather than "Oh he thinks I broke it"

;)

ermagerd, don't i know this. I originally had all the system files listed to be deleted also, then said, "No, someone is just going to completely eff there computer up, and its rare that these files need to be deleted anyway." I already pictured some 8 year old kid accidentally deleting the entire system32 directory. so i deleted that section.

then i realized someone would search for these particular files, and try to delete them anyway, so i had to add the section about not touching those files and why not too.

:confused:

ugh..

Reactions: Ashzification
Status
Not open for further replies.