Request How to make players scream? (And cry)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Iquana Tweaks for vanilla MC has the configs for weight mechanics.
It can do a couple of other neat things like disable certain exp sources, change the despawn of dropped items based on source, disable bed respawning and/or nightskip, randomise the respawn point on death and/or login. (be careful with the last one- unless your early/start game is a tonne of fun with a lot of variety don't use it).

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
  • Grindy is double compressed cobble for a furnace.
  • Hard is that a furnace requires 8 different types of cobblestone to make.
Disagree here actually, that's not Hard, that's just a different kind of grind. Exploration based grind is totally and completely a real thing, Chromaticraft and GT5 are the most notable sufferers of it. Having to find eight different kinds of cobble? That's just a go out and sink mine shafts randomly until you get lucky grind, not that much different than looking for specific GT ore veins.

To say nothing of the hell it'd add to crafting having to make sure you put all eight in the right slots every time.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Use the Colored Cobble, from XU? Or Open blocks. That way it's finding dyes that's the issue. Then it's all a matter of working out how to find the right dyes.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
So 8 different dyes, 8 sub crafts and as they're different blocks/items they won't stack together? ...yeah I'll take the compressed cobble option please.
Shifting stuff around in the crafting grid isn't fun.
(actually neither is breaking out a tonne of cobble, but if you're digging in for a starter base you tend to have a lot of cobble anyway so its a grind that works with the player)

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
What kind of weirdo digs IN for a starting base? I'm a big fan of the starter on a stick. Which is a pillar of planks with a little platform on top. Keeps the zombies out and means the skellies can't see me to shoot me.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Assuming no flying monsters [thank you Lyncanite's] or massive tornadoes [thank you weather mod]

The logical weirdo digs in. Digging my hole gains me materials. Building your tower costs materials you first have to collect.
Since I'm underground, I already have the cobblestone for a furnace. I can continue to collect stone and be productive during the night- even lucking out with mineral deposits/breaking into a cave.
Up a tower all you have is what you got during the day. Very little to do until the sun rises again.
The precious daylight needed for hunter-gatherer activities. If you want a furnace you''ll need to invest a chunk of that daylight in mining cobble.

However the tower does give a good view of the surroundings. I have a small patch of sky [normally facing east or west for timekeeping]
You're safe from the monsters but in a poor position to dispatch them without a ranged weapon. And assuming you don't get shot off the ladder you'll have a horde at the base. With the hole I can stab their feet when they get close, or use the narrow entrance to fight the horde one at a time.
You're platform is perfectly safe from creepers- ladder/column is an easy repair job. My front door is slightly more expensive, but unless I'm in a very flat area the layers of rock and stone offer enough protection. (I often dig into the side of a hill).

Tower is ok for normal mode, or difficult to a point. The hardmode i'm used to: a few logs, stone axe, and a bit of food is a very good day 1. If I'm very lucky I might have a lump of coal for a torch.
(if there were something to make sitting through the night engaging- a hardmode when digging in is inadvisable/impossible and surface shelter is a must would be rather interesting)

Reactions: Booker The Geek

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Naturally, the trick is to be up the tower before they start spawning, because if you're already up fifteen to twenty blocks, ground mobs won't start tracking you. Though I can also stand on the ladder block and break those around to let the sun shine if there is a mob. (Unless they're armored. Which is it's own problem.) I also try and set up near the water, so I can use my longsword for a flying leap off the platform.

Hard mode should have the first couple days with wooden tools, while you work up to being able to really mine something useful. Of course, I also skip ahead to stone via creeper. No point mining stone myself when I have mobile TNT to do it for me.

There's a thought. Creeper explosions can't destroy stone.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
And edit creepers' AI to mimic zombies?

Are you referring to the recent behavior where the Zombies call all their buddies? within 30 or so blocks? :D

Also how about "Angry Creepers"? They have more HP than normal and grow with each hit. The larger they are the bigger the destruction diameter :D

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I actually like Dark Souls. Muahahaha

• Make sure you have Lycanites mobs
    • Mob Properties gives me more control
  • make smelting of ores only give 3 nuggets
    • Furnaces return 1 nugget, you must use the foundry to return a full ingot.
  • wood logs only give 2 planks
    • That seems generous
  • 2 planks only give 2 sticks
    • Of course
  • vanilla tools disabled - have to use TiC/other tools
    • No Tinkers, But a good Idea nonetheless.
  • Gregtech
    • OreGen will kill me. Otherwise I would.
  • Blood moon
    • Specific mod, or part of a mod?
  • Spice of Life; people can only eat food once before it becomes useless - and 10+ different types of food before you are able to use the original again
    • Already Their, along with hunger overhaul and iguana tweaks
  • Mariculture (just because it makes getting clay a pain, as your oxygen bar drops so fast)
    • Hydrolicraft is better, instant death on drowning effect.

The Blood Moon is from Random Things. Every once in a while, there will be a night when the mobs that spawn on the surface are stronger than normal (and you also get a fancy reddish shader effect).

As for my own suggestion, there was some mod showcased a while back that allowed zombies to spawn with pickaxes and cobblestone and be able to mine and pillar through/around your defenses. Zombie Awareness, I think?

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
New Ideas:
  • Poor ores; only spawn in the overworld. Smelt to 1 ingot
  • Ore spawn in overworld reduced to 25%
    • Smelting in furnaces produces Nuggets
    • Smeltery produces 1 ingot
  • Nether Ores
    • Only smeltable from Rotary Craft
    • Produces 2 ingots
  • Dense Ores, Nether and End Only
  • Only smeltable from Rotary Craft
  • Produces 2 Ingots
  • Draconium Ore is not world gen, but made with Ender Dragon Essence.
  • No Flight, at all, ever.
  • Crop sticks also require string.
  • Mobs gain 10% strength/damage from base levels every chunk from 0,0
  • All nether mobs are 50% stronger, all special or Infernal.
  • All end Mobs are 100%, all are special and Infernal.
  • Netherrack turns into flowing lava when mined
  • Soul sand applies wither when mined
  • All Silverfish are buffed 250% in overworld and are all Special or Infernal, all biomes have silverfish
  • AE2 requires Draconium Nuggets for storage. Channels are turned off, No P2P, No quantum chamber
  • You loose 10% health every time a boss mob kills you. Can get it back by eating Ender Dragon Essence.
  • Their is a weight from Iguanas tinker Tweaks

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Disagree here actually, that's not Hard, that's just a different kind of grind. Exploration based grind is totally and completely a real thing, Chromaticraft and GT5 are the most notable sufferers of it. Having to find eight different kinds of cobble? That's just a go out and sink mine shafts randomly until you get lucky grind, not that much different than looking for specific GT ore veins.

To say nothing of the hell it'd add to crafting having to make sure you put all eight in the right slots every time.
I like exploration hard.

And of course you die alot hard.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I like exploration hard.

And of course you die alot hard.
Grind != Hard, having to sink repeatedly mineshafts until you get lucky? That's grind, not luck. Like GT ores, while an interesting mod looking for specific veins is one of the grindiest parts of the mod. Really don't see how this would be much different, except for higher chances to spawn hopefully.

On an unrelated note, what's the point of dense ores spawning in the nether if they're no better than normal nether ores?

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
A fairly decent solution is biome-specific ore gen. Player still have to explore every biome to find out whats there**- when they've found a deposit, they'll be able to recognise the surface features and locate more without digging (similar to Greg's bauxite deposits in FTB Ultimate). You're replacing a lot of the repeated grind with learning and understanding.

**bonus points if you find a way to randomise the biome-ore combinations so its different in every world.

Booker The Geek

Feb 26, 2013
Pacific North West, USA
Grind != Hard, having to sink repeatedly mineshafts until you get lucky? That's grind, not luck. Like GT ores, while an interesting mod looking for specific veins is one of the grindiest parts of the mod. Really don't see how this would be much different, except for higher chances to spawn hopefully.

On an unrelated note, what's the point of dense ores spawning in the nether if they're no better than normal nether ores?
Good point, and while their will be grind, I am not wanting to make grind for the sake of grind. And I will work on the idea of the nether ores.

A fairly decent solution is biome-specific ore gen. Player still have to explore every biome to find out whats there**- when they've found a deposit, they'll be able to recognise the surface features and locate more without digging (similar to Greg's bauxite deposits in FTB Ultimate). You're replacing a lot of the repeated grind with learning and understanding.

**bonus points if you find a way to randomise the biome-ore combinations so its different in every world.
Biomedical specific, can do. Random power world, not unless any ore gen mod can base it off the seed of the world. Maybe COFH could add that feature? #TeamCOFH

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I think you've done enough by removing flight and teleportation items.

I know folks that drop packs outright if the flight is hard to get let alone removed. If a server banns or gates flight behind a paywall they leave instantly (to be frank I would to out oc principal).

So you have a lot of scream already.

It sounds like you are making a spiritual successor to BnB only more on meth.

If I wanted to make a challenging pack I'd just remove some of those things that players have been accustomed to.
Remove flight, tesseracts and compact storage mods.

Actually that's a suggestion; no AE2. Maybe not even LP. You would either run around to craft like a plebe or create mechaniams to send you items on demand.
But that would just be considered grindy for those not technically inclined.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Note: Railcraft has it's own poor ores, so you might want to ensure it and Poor Ores aren't generating in the world.

No Hunger Overhaul and Spice of Life on Etho Settings? Maybe swap to Crafting Guide instead of NEI, just to irritate people.

I find, that except for the difficulty getting the components to make it, I like EnderIO's remote awareness thing. It requires that extra effort of producing nutrient distillation, which can naturally have it's recipe and results tweaked.

Also consider using Reika's Cave Control to adjust the kinds of caves you get. Combined with No More Nerd Poles and a gravity mod, you could see players building structures to get up to the roofs of caverns to get at the valuable stuff up there. It also gives a simple frame work to alter village/mineshaft/dungeon spawning.