How to get started with FTB?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

LonelyBeef

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorta new to the whole modded minecraft scene and I don't really know where to start. I don't really know anything about any of the mods and it seems like a lot of effort to go through and learn how each one works in creative. All I've ended up doing is building a house. Do you recommend watching youtube videos about it or something like that? Thanks, a beef that is lonely.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Watching youtube videos is really helpful. Just be careful that you either find one that is up to date or watch an old one while being aware of potential changes.
Also, what you do depends on which mods you want to learn. There are three branches, really: Tech, Magic, and Other (with other being divided into Exploration, Utilities, and Miscellaneous).
I would recommend Direwolf20 as a starting point. I advise you to watch his Let's Play series (I've linked to the most recent series, which is still actively being played). The videos might be a little long, but there's a lot of information and it's (mostly) done in tutorial format. He specializes in tech, but he also covers magic fairly well and uses stuff from "Other" fairly often. His modpack is available on the FTB Launcher under public packs; it's a kitchen sink pack with a little bit of everything. If you get bored watching his Let's Play, you can switch over to his Forgecraft series, which is just him playing MP. It's a lot more interesting, but he doesn't hold back in terms of information flow and he cuts out whenever he needs to, so it isn't as good for tutorial use.

Modded MC is infinitely better than vanilla. Nobody here will tell you differently. :)

//Shameless Self Promotion
I have made a modpack called Colony which is specifically meant to be easy, geared more towards sandbox play (not creative; survival sandbox - the challenge is in BUILDING, not GATHERING). It has no magic mods, as I enforce strict theming rules on everything I make. ;)
You'll get up and running much quicker than usual - that should be helpful for a beginner. You wouldn't want your experience to just be one giant mining session. :p
If you do decide to both watch DW20 AND play Colony, be aware that there might be a *few* mods that are not shared between both. Due to the "kitchen sink" aspect of DW20's pack/playthrough, most of what's missing from my pack are magic mods, and the extra stuff you'll get with Colony are mods that don't have a large name for themselves, stuff few people use or know about, but which is really cool - hipster mods, if you will. ;)

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I started watching Direwolf20's Let's Plays on YouTube... That's about the best way to go since he has the Direwolf20 pack both on FtB and the newer Curse Voice launcher (Curse will eventually replace FtB as the two have partnered) and his YouTube series uses his pack.

The good news is that you can watch his videos and play along... He also makes his world available for download every 10th episode, if you want to play with his actual builds.

The bad news is that his current series just aired episode 108 today, and each episode is about 30 minutes long... :D

[Edit] Darn! Ninja'd by, well, @Type1Ninja! :D

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
[Edit] Darn! Ninja'd by, well, @Type1Ninja! :D
I can't believe you made that joke XD
Yeah, like you said, the episodes are a little long, but a lot of the really late game stuff is sort of "really cool stuff you can do by combining a bunch of mods into an advanced but intuitive method." So a lot of the crucial information will be in the first few episodes, especially from a "getting started" perspective. :)

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
Watching youtube videos is really helpful. Just be careful that you either find one that is up to date or watch an old one while being aware of potential changes.
Also, what you do depends on which mods you want to learn. There are three branches, really: Tech, Magic, and Other (with other being divided into Exploration, Utilities, and Miscellaneous).
I would recommend Direwolf20 as a starting point. I advise you to watch his Let's Play series (I've linked to the most recent series, which is still actively being played). The videos might be a little long, but there's a lot of information and it's (mostly) done in tutorial format. He specializes in tech, but he also covers magic fairly well and uses stuff from "Other" fairly often. His modpack is available on the FTB Launcher under public packs; it's a kitchen sink pack with a little bit of everything. If you get bored watching his Let's Play, you can switch over to his Forgecraft series, which is just him playing MP. It's a lot more interesting, but he doesn't hold back in terms of information flow and he cuts out whenever he needs to, so it isn't as good for tutorial use.

Modded MC is infinitely better than vanilla. Nobody here will tell you differently. :)

//Shameless Self Promotion
I have made a modpack called Colony which is specifically meant to be easy, geared more towards sandbox play (not creative; survival sandbox - the challenge is in BUILDING, not GATHERING). It has no magic mods, as I enforce strict theming rules on everything I make. ;)
You'll get up and running much quicker than usual - that should be helpful for a beginner. You wouldn't want your experience to just be one giant mining session.
If you do decide to both watch DW20 AND play Colony, be aware that there might be a *few* mods that are not shared between both. Due to the "kitchen sink" aspect of DW20's pack/playthrough, most of what's missing from my pack are magic mods, and the extra stuff you'll get with Colony are mods that don't have a large name for themselves, stuff few people use or know about, but which is really cool - hipster mods, if you will. ;)
You should not reccomend His spotlights to 1.7.10 beginners since 80% are highly outdated

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
This thread has seriously made me wonder how I "got started" in modded minecraft.
I guess you just do your usual MC thing untill you get to a point where you ask yourself "is there a better way to X" or "I wonder if I can X".

I will say tinkering In creative take way less time then learning it all live. But it is less fun.

Just watch any Youtubers it will give you ideas.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
All I've ended up doing is building a house.
It's usually a good idea to start looking at some basic (coal / charcoal) power production, an automated tree farm, and ore doubling at that point. Unless your mod pack is designed to prevent those things (initially), I'd say it's a good start.

MineFactory Reloaded and Thermal Expansion both have machines that are very useful / affordable in the early game (as an example). They are present in most (?) mod packs.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
You should not reccomend His spotlights to 1.7.10 beginners since 80% are highly outdated

This is false.
We did not recommend his spotlights, we recommended his Let's Play, which is the pinnacle of relevant.
And even if we HAD recommended his spotlights, it would have been better than recommending someone else's, since all spotlights age at the same rate and Dire's are very high quality. Besides, he makes a new spotlight whenever some huge change comes out for the mod.

As for how I got started... I watched the Yogscast's Tekkit series. It was great. I tried to play Technic myself, but it was basically just "Mine a bunch. Smelt ALL the ores - which I later learned was a mistake due to ore doubling. Make myself a full set of Thaumium armor and Boots of the Traveller (because Thaumcraft 2 was very different and you didn't need to do any research to get basic stuff). Stop playing Technic."

I played with IC2 and Thaumcraft in FTB Ultimate with a bunch of friends. I went to RF when I tried to make my own modpack all throughout versions 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6, but only in 1.7 has RF achieved a universal enough status for a pack WITHOUT any other mods to have variety in tech. This was especially true in terms of tools; before 1.7.10, if you wanted a jetpack, or a hand drill, you had to go to IC2. Now, though, we have full early game --> mid game --> end game "personal upgrades," through mods like RF Drills and Simply Jetpacks. So, yeah - that's a bit of a shameless plug, I guess; check my sig if you're curious as to what my pack is. :)

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
There are many youtube tutorials out there, I've watched several, but I would put Direwolf20 at the top of the list simply because he does such a good job explaining things clearly. Until you get deeper into some of the mods, any of his beginning episodes of Lets Play will give you the basic overview and familiarize you with the main early and mid game mods, hardly anything has changed with those. And really overall not much has changed over several versions. A few mods omitted, a few added, a few altered a bit. I envy the adventure the OP is about to embark on. So much fun learning how to play modded.

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
This is false.
We did not recommend his spotlights, we recommended his Let's Play, which is the pinnacle of relevant.
And even if we HAD recommended his spotlights, it would have been better than recommending someone else's, since all spotlights age at the same rate and Dire's are very high quality. Besides, he makes a new spotlight whenever some huge change comes out for the mod.

As for how I got started... I watched the Yogscast's Tekkit series. It was great. I tried to play Technic myself, but it was basically just "Mine a bunch. Smelt ALL the ores - which I later learned was a mistake due to ore doubling. Make myself a full set of Thaumium armor and Boots of the Traveller (because Thaumcraft 2 was very different and you didn't need to do any research to get basic stuff). Stop playing Technic."

I played with IC2 and Thaumcraft in FTB Ultimate with a bunch of friends. I went to RF when I tried to make my own modpack all throughout versions 1.4, 1.5, and 1.6, but only in 1.7 has RF achieved a universal enough status for a pack WITHOUT any other mods to have variety in tech. This was especially true in terms of tools; before 1.7.10, if you wanted a jetpack, or a hand drill, you had to go to IC2. Now, though, we have full early game --> mid game --> end game "personal upgrades," through mods like RF Drills and Simply Jetpacks. So, yeah - that's a bit of a shameless plug, I guess; check my sig if you're curious as to what my pack is. :)
Sweet time that was back to ftb ultimate

LonelyBeef

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the replies, I started watching Direwolf20 and it is really helpful, but sometimes I feel like I'm just copying everything he does. I'm slowly learning though haha, I really like ic2 and tinkers constructs. I'm just a little lost now though, I've got ore doubling and some nice tools, but I can't think of anything else to do.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Thanks for the replies, I started watching Direwolf20 and it is really helpful, but sometimes I feel like I'm just copying everything he does. I'm slowly learning though haha, I really like ic2 and tinkers constructs. I'm just a little lost now though, I've got ore doubling and some nice tools, but I can't think of anything else to do.

Welcome to my current state. :D

I like watching DW20's videos anyway, as I can always learn something new. Every time a new version of a pack comes out I delete the worlds built in the older version to avoid problems that used to occur with MC 1.6 packs, like Block ID issues. As a result I don't get too far into my worlds but I'm faster at getting there :D

This gives me a chance to play with different ways to do things... One version I use coal as a fuel for machines, the next I may use Culinary Generators and grow extra food to use a s fuel (I usually do this in Infinity because Agricraft).

Watching DW, I have a general idea where to go from here and how to get there, I just may not have the time :D

Dylz101

Jul 29, 2019
It is very overwhelming to begin with, and it takes time to really point out what you enjoy and how you want to progress through the packs you are playing.
Although one thing I must point out is that you should try avoid packs that totally overhaul progression (such as Regrowth etc) to early on as they can distort your view on mods rather easily. Crash Landing did this to me and I found myself wondering how to play the mods without this totally different progression line.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019

automate everything.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019

Doubling? How about fully automated Thermal Expansion machines connected to AE quadrupling ores.

How about a reactor and turbines putting ut over 100K rf/t.

How about Draconic Evolution summoning ender dragons, fighting Chaos Dragons that you have to travel 10K blocks to find and can kill you with one shot in conventional armor, a staff that can deal 80 attack points in a 8x8 radius and doubles as a pick that can mine 5x5.

Tinkers Construct. How about an enderium sword that can be upgraded to deal over 30 attack. An enderium cleaver with Beheading 5 to get wither skulls. A crossbow that deals 99.5 attack.

Botania with sash that gives you speed and step up and a magnet ring made using mana from flowers.

Ender quarry with silk touch that passes power and items through a Tesserac from anywhere in any dimension.

I'm leaving out a lot.

Lets just say, you haven't even scratched the surface of modded minecraft. :)