How to get rid of Lag (please help!)

MikeBoy123

Jul 29, 2019
I play the Mindcrack pack, and even with half the mods disabled, Optifine on, all of my Optifine settings off (like animations, details, etc.), and playing on Tiny with Peaceful, I'm still only getting about 15-18 FPS. Any tips? Only got a few gigs of RAM, HP 2000 model, laptop.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Try allocating more memory to Java. There's a dozen and a half tutorials on how to do it. Just use google.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Try allocating LESS memory. It allocates a full gig, that's often much more than it needs. Try allocating 512MB and see if it helps.

Yes, I know, it seems counter-intuitive, but my FPS went from around 20 to up over 40 even with a 64 x texture pack by doing it.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
15-18? I'd be quite happy with that, doesn't seem laggy at all when you've had to put up with 8 (with tanks down to 2 once every hour or so)

Reactions: Golrith

MikeBoy123

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, did some testing on a superflat map. Fancy, Tiny, No OpenGL, looking up at the sky, roughly 30 fps on average w/o Optifine (disabled the mod for this test).

MikeBoy123

Jul 29, 2019
Optifine is way better, but playing with my animations off does slightly increase FPS to about 15 (I was wrong before, my FPS is usually hovering around 13). Any ways I can fix it? (ex. Registry Cleaners, Defragmenting, etc)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Part of your problem is likely due to your playing on a Laptop, and how they tend to allocate video resources.

You see, Java usually doesn't require a whole lot of graphics, so laptops tend to just use the onboard graphics card rather than the shiny one you put in. You may need to override that setting in order to get the performance you expect out of your graphics card.

MikeBoy123

Jul 29, 2019
How could I override it? I had a talk with my father, and he told me you cannot upgrade video cards or Processor on my laptop, or that I cannot get more RAM because I already have enough. Is this all true? My birthday came a week ago, and I now have a lot of cash to upgrade parts if necessary.

ewsmith

Jul 29, 2019
If you have an nvidia card just use the nvidia control panel from the actual control panel. Minecraft is called javaw.exe in it.

MikeBoy123

Jul 29, 2019
When you guys all play FTB, what're your preferred settings w/ OptiFine, less-lag wise, not quality-wise?

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
heres a hint:
set render distance to extreme, log in, hit escape and let the world load around you, your lag ay be caused by the fact that your loading new chunks far more often, also, if you expeirence more lag just toggle your render distance from extreme to tine to extreme
I also play on a laptop, and this is what helps me
good luck!

Reactions: MikeBoy123

BallisticMunky

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure about all the praise with Optifine, I have yet to see the benefit of installing it and gaining fps. I usually have to set even lower video quality (turn off settings) with optifine to achieve the same FPS as when I run without optifine on higher quality settings. Maybe others get a boost, but I prefer not to run it.

One setting that seems to help with me, whether using optifine or not, is to turn off / lower the smooth lighting setting. I get a huge boost in fps, especially if im in a fir tree heavy area as the shadows are insane there.

kev12east

Jul 29, 2019
another thing you can try if your on a laptop or any computer, see if its starting to heat up if the computer has internal fans you will here them running try and cool it down