How to get Extra Irridium for GregTec

With This In Mind Will You Give GregTech Another Chance?

• Total voters

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It's a bit finicky for my tastes. Too many extra machines are involved, you need an induction smelter for the hardened glass (which forces me to mine obsidian too, no) to make the frame. Then you need to melt the redstone in a magma crucible and transfer that liquid to a liquid transposer to fill the cube. You also already need a decent MJ setup to begin with to do this.
Wait, mine obsidian? With the Igneous Extruder, since when do you ever have to MINE obsidian anymore? Feed it a supply of water and lava. Then have it automatically be sent to the Pulverizer, no tubes or pipes necessary, when then sends the pulverized obsidian straight to the Induction Smelter, again no tubes or pipes necessary. I fail to see where this is complicated.

You also need an IC2 infrastructure to make an MFE, or heck even a BatBox. I fail to see how this argument applies.

The only finicky thing about making an MFE is rubber production. Which requires a extractor well not really you can just cook the resin in a furnace. But once you have the mats you can make it all in a crafting table.
Which is a problem I have with IC2. Too simplistic. Extra steps does not equal bad. Particularly when you have in-house means of trivializing the automation.

I find MJ's a little too difficult to store early game to be as reliable as I want it to be. If they added an MJ version of a bat box that can be made with nothing but a crafting table mebby I'd use it more. As it is now TE machines feel like mid level stuff.
I would strongly disagree. TE can be set up with fewer resources, in particular you aren't screwed if you are in the wrong biome to find rubber. With ExtraBiomes, this is a non-trivial concern.

I could also just be too used to EU.
Either that, or you could simply be unaware of the advances that have been going on. You might get some use out of my Thermal expansion guide. It explains how to get yourself started.

That being said I do tend to use TE stuff when a server uses the hard mode macerator becasue TE becomes a hell of a lot less finicky in comparison and much more viable. But I do hate how difficult it is to store MJ without that cube, that and redstone pipes always blow up on me... I have a tendency to leave my engines on to come back to a nasty crater apparently stirlings explode... I get this problem with Forestry too, I've come home sometimes to find my lumber mill is now a crater.
Whoa, wait... Stirling engines?

Okay, first, I think you might get a lot of use out of my guide for MJ Energy Production. Because Sterling engines? Are about the worst of your early game option. An Aqueous Accumulator makes TE Steam Engines and RC Hobbyist Steam Engines perfectly safe to use.

As far as your conductive pipes exploding? Simple solution: TURN THEM OFF when not in use. Use a Lever to apply or remove redstone signal. You can use Red Alloy Wire to do so as well, which is very easily obtainable even at the very beginning (just need some clay for the alloy furnace) so that all of your engines are on the same circuit. Of course, once you get a Magmatic Crucible, Redstone Conduits are simply superior, as they will never explode.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Ohh I do all that stuff with the lever, it's just my brain's all manky and I forget to turn off the machine (that has the alloy wires and junk). If it can explode without supervision I tend not to use it.
I realize that if you just plonk the engine next to the machine you avoid this exploding energy pipe problem (Because you don't need to use them) but you end up needing more engines, one for each machine.

I also forgot one step for the energy cube. Ofter you fill the frame there's an extra crafting step... spent 5 mins going "why wont this freaking thing not place!" Then was like "dammit there's another step...".