How to dedicate more RAM with 32 bit operating system

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Jul 29, 2019
I have a 32 bit operating system and I want to play some bigger packs like TPPI or monster. I'm not a coding wizard or anything but if you could help me i would like that.

P.S. I can't get a 64 bit operating system computer so don't say that

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Unless I am mistaken the max amount of RAM you can allocate with 32bit OS is 3gb. Dunno how to do it with the FTB launcher though as I believe that caps it at 1gb

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
If you are on Windows, you can run msconfig and remove extra programs from running to leave as much memory free as possible.

Jul 29, 2019
I have 70 gigs free on my disk and i want to dedicate about 4 of that to FTB,
and what do you mean buy windows 7 x64? wouldn't i have to get a new computer with a 64 bit operating system?[DOUBLEPOST=1413160713][/DOUBLEPOST]wait, my task manager says i have like 1.37 GB

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Ram and hard drive space are two different things. A 32 bit OS (at least with windows) cannot use more than 3/4 gigs. So you probably only have 2-3 gigs of RAM available

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
there's only way that I know of that a 32 bit OS can utilize more RAM than is physically possible, since you're limited by address

1. install linux.
2. ensure your kernel is PAE enabled.
3. ?
5. Profit
E. I believe individual processes are still limited to the 3gb addressing limit. also, even if allocate more (up to 64gb I believe? could be wrong), only one process can access the extension memory.

in all seriousness, yeah it's possible, but I don't think it's the solution you're looking for. I'd be looking for a student copy of x64 windows, if it were me, because ain't nobody got time for that.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I have 70 gigs free on my disk and i want to dedicate about 4 of that to FTB,
and what do you mean buy windows 7 x64? wouldn't i have to get a new computer with a 64 bit operating system?[DOUBLEPOST=1413160713][/DOUBLEPOST]wait, my task manager says i have like 1.37 GB

32-bit Windows cannot access more that 4GB of RAM (3GB by default unless specially configured) to run programs in because of address space limitations built into the CPU... Keep in mind that although 32-bit Windows can run on a 64-Bit CPU, the limit is programmatically enforced.

Windows itself can require up to 1.5GB by itself to run efficiently depending on the version. Vista and newer versions have gotten less demanding of memory, but still require over 1GB, leaving the rest for programs such as Java and Minecraft to share.

64-bit Windows, written for newer CPUs with bigger address space available, supports larger amounts of memory but still has a set limit (it simplifies and optimizes the programming) primarily driven by current available memory module sizes and prices, thus older versions support less ram than newer ones.

Code:
Windows 8
Version               32 Bit      64 Bit
Enterprise             4 GB      512 GB
Professional           4 GB      512 GB
Windows 8              4 GB      128 GB

Windows 7
Ultimate               4 GB      192 GB
Enterprise             4 GB      192 GB
Professional           4 GB      192 GB
Home Premium           4 GB       16 GB
Home Basic             4 GB        8 GB
Starter                2 GB        N/A

Windows Vista
Ultimate               4 GB      128 GB
Enterprise             4 GB      128 GB
Business               4 GB      128 GB
Home Premium           4 GB       16 GB
Home Basic             4 GB        8 GB
Starter                1 GB        N/A

Windows XP
XP                     4 GB      128 GB
XP Starter Edition   512 MB        N/A

Note that all 32-bit versions have 4GB limits, except the "Starter" versions... These were sold bundled with minimal hardware, usually to 3rd world countries.

The 64-bit versions show how ram limits have grown as larger devices have become available, making it possible to actually add that much memory :D
Newer 64-bit Windows support up to 2 CPUs since before multicore CPUs became available... I don't know how that impacts multicore CPUs, however.

The various Server versions of Windows use varying limitations on memory (up to 4TB with Server 2012) and support up to 16 CPUs the last time I looked, but that kind of support needs special hardware to run, well beyond your average home system, and the server OS versions cost substantially more than the client software does.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I have a 32 bit operating system and I want to play some bigger packs like TPPI or monster. I'm not a coding wizard or anything but if you could help me i would like that.

You cannot play "a bigger pack" with a 32bit OS.
You cannot, frankly, play vanilla with a 32bit OS.

The memory space available to a 32bit CPU is 4GB. Windows reserves half the potential space for itself, so user mode processes have 2Gb to work with (There is a rather obscure boot mode switch that changes the partitioning such that 3Gb of address space is available to user mode, and 1Gb to kernel mode).

Now that 2G needs to have the various "native" dll's loaded that provide (the user mode parts) of system services as well as the sound and graphics (OpenGL.dll OpenAL.dll and satellite dlls) systems in addition to java.exe.

This leaves about 1.5Gb that java can use via -Xmx on a 32bit OS.

But wait - those native mode dlls require memory themselves, and Minecraft is written in OpenGL, and while a lot of textures can (and are) stored on your video card, OpenGL requires a lot of usermode memory as well as a staging area for textures that don't fit on your card. This needs to be at least twice the size of your video cards memory (usually 256Mb on older hardware), so another 512Mb needs to go to OpenGL - i.e. you MUST NOT reserve it to Java.

Which means the largest -Xmx you can ever get away with, without actually making things worse, is about 1g on a 32bit OS. Going bigger than that, ESPECIALLY if you go modded as mods add textures (especially biome adding mods), might give the appearance initially of things "working better" but the resulting OpenGL failures will cause stalls and a catastrophic drop in FPS as soon as you start to explore a little.

On Linux (which has a 3Gb / 1Gb partition by default) or windows XP with the /3GB switch in boot.ini you might be able to push -Xmx to 1.5g or 2g.

Last edited:

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
Go buy Windows 7 x64 Windows 8 and 8.1 suck so do not get them.
No, linux is betger than either one.

Why exactly? Isit limited by hardware? What are your specs?

I think they meant Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.
U wot m8. Mac is the computer, not the OS. OSX is the OS.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
No, linux is betger than either one.

Why exactly? Isit limited by hardware? What are your specs?

U wot m8. Mac is the computer, not the OS. OSX is the OS.
for some reason, linux(ubuntu at least) makes my internet connection slow down to unusable levels. windows 8.1 for me, i guess!