How to Automate Big Reactors.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Lordlundar

Jul 29, 2019
To elaborate on what I'm talking about, here's the setup with 3 redstone ports on the side of a standard 7x7x7
restonecontrol4.jpg

The left port settings:
restonecontrol2.jpg

The center port:
restonecontrolpower.jpg

The right port:
restonecontrol1.jpg

The order of these do not matter as long as you have the settings right.

Start it up and let it run. When the internal capacitor hits above the "active while below" limit, the redstone signal shuts off and the reactor keeps going. When it hits the "active while above" limit, that port is turned on. The middle port will turn on and off whenever it receives a new signal so it turns on when it gets low and turns off when it fills up.

Reactions: MCBozo and rhn

Gladi099

Jul 29, 2019
Please do, I would like to see your set up.

Ok here you go

First RedNet Port of the Reactor
WPYsVaH.png
Second RedNet Port of the Reactor
6bTGfE9.png
Both RedNet Ports next to each other and then connected with RedNet cable
T8bi2SI.png

i1bgUEp.png

Last edited:

joshuad156

Jul 29, 2019
If you are going to automate a big reactor, you're goal shouldn't be to turn it on and off. Reactors are most efficient when built big and run cool. If you run it at 100% when it's low, and shut it off when it's full, you are losing out a great deal on efficiency.

Instead, you should use automation to regulate the control rods and keep them inserted as much as possible while maintaining your power levels.

I can't see the pics from gladi099 so I'm not sure what his suggestion is, but the description is identical to what I use on passively cooled reactors.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

kittle

Jul 29, 2019
Ive used this same setup on a big reactor, and it works great.

But when you run your base off a set of mekanism energy cells, The problem is how to get it to turn on only when the last energy cell is empty, and then shut off only after the first energy cell is full. I managed to get a setup working based off BC pipes and gates, and IC2, it was FUGLY and WAY over-complicated.

Other than mucking about with CC... any ideas?

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
I got the big reactors to work with PRC
here's my setup
//
these series of functions and commands is only ideal if your not fine tuning every single control rod your reactor has if you want to fine tune your reactor with every single control rod you will need at least 3 red net ports there 1 color s taken by each control rod
//
Control Rods
by default if you flick a lever it will out put 15% because levers just pull out 15 redstone signal with this in mind you need to turn analog signal to digital to do that you need to use the scaler function
control rod white output depends on where you placed the cable
minimum input 0 = 0 strength
maximum input 1/15 = depending on your setup if you use lever making use of 15 ensures that it receives that signal
output minimum X = X height of the rod if the setup isnt receiving any signal this will be the default height of the rods
output maximum X = X height of the rods if signal has been met in this case if you want 50% for your control rods

next power
depending on your setup if we say going to use TE route so you need comparators remember energy cells at max will output 15 signal strength
so here's what I did
declare a variable
equals function
input = side and color
constant 15 = 15 is the signal received
variable X = depending on your setup it is yours to declare
do this per energycell "multiblock"
reactor
[still under equals
constant X = where X = (1-100) this range declares the buffer]

then we need to combine all
for this I used and (X input)
depending on your setup I used 4 inputs this includes the buffer inside the reactor
using
and function
var X where X = to variables set 1-4 for me
output to reactor power switch

if you need and override to activate the reactor
you need to use
Nand (2 input) function
why Nand this is because there are 2 required flags that is needed to operate the reactor first being that the energycell bank itself already acted a switch and either of them are needed to activate the reactor
so just throw in a lever and say
input 1 Variable X where X = the ending variable in the and function
input 2 lever
http://imgur.com/a/MPBBT
here's the album
lm6KX2w.png

jFgveO7.png

with this concept to throttle your reactor you can still used this idea
instead of declaring the lever as the switch you can used the energy buffer
Scaler function
input (Input Energy)
//
note that using the reactor's buffer your minimum and maximum range is 0-100% not 0-15
//
minimum input X where X is the starting range to start throttling
maximum input X where X is the final range to finally start throttling you can say 70 for 70%
minimum output X where X = the initial level of the control rods should be
maximum output X where X = level of control rods when throttling 90-95 would be a good idea
output back to the reactor color and side

Last edited:

Sir Gallus

Jul 29, 2019
I just use a computercraft computer to manage mine in the early game
Basic startup code would be:

reactor = peripheral.wrap("back")

while true do
bat = reactor.getEnergyStored()

if bat < 500000 then
reactor.setActive(true)
elseif bat > 9500000 then
reactor.setActive(false)
end
sleep(5.0)
end

same result as the restone setup posted already but in a nice compact box

Senseidragon

May 26, 2013
I usually use a computercraft setup to do this, but I am still impressed by the PRC setups people come up with to do much of that very efficiently.

Algester

Jul 29, 2019
the only reason I posted this was because I felt that the PRC is an often ignored redstone block that actually has some thinking to use but I'm still finding out how to use the PRC to automate the runic altar to mass produce runes... I just need to find a way to have an inventory checker on the runic altar that would produce a redstone signal but I dont know what mod has it and maybe one day people will start to appreciate the redstone under dog

Reactions: glepet1962

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
the only reason I posted this was because I felt that the PRC is an often ignored redstone block that actually has some thinking to use but I'm still finding out how to use the PRC to automate the runic altar to mass produce runes... I just need to find a way to have an inventory checker on the runic altar that would produce a redstone signal but I dont know what mod has it and maybe one day people will start to appreciate the redstone under dog

Buildcraft. The buildcraft laser table can create structure pipe, (red) pipe wire and simple gates. The BC gate has a truly astounding array of sensors which it can be configured to either emit a redstone signal for, or a pipe wire signal that can be used to carry the condition over a distance to another gate that can use the pipe wire signal as its condition to emit redstone.

glepet1962

Nov 15, 2012
I'm happy this was resurrected. I just built my first Big Reactor and, right now, I'm switching on and off as needed to fill storage cells. So, this is really helpful.

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
Thread revive time.

I stumbled into the setup @Lordlunder talks about above with the 3 redstone ports, and my reactor keeps toggling off eventually. I'm thinking it happens when I have a bump back up over 5% full, then I have a sudden power drain that takes the battery back below 5%, effectively sending the shutoff signal because my storage is depleted. While occasional checks for a deactivated reactor helps keep my machines from completely draining, it kinda defeats the purpose of the whole setup.

Does anyone have a simple way to deplete-proof this design?

***EDIT***
I've never gotten into computers, but I guess I could look into it. It's just not in my wheelhouse.
***/EDIT***

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
Come to think of it, I would bet that the times this becomes a problem coincide with when I start up my Mass Fabricator from IC2--which is fed by 3 MFSUs (which hold a crap ton of EU/RF)--and my reactor is currently filling its own buffer. That would cycle the bug quite easily.

I'm thinking through what sort of process would be needed to check AND before sending the shutoff pulse, With the AND based off of a set capacity above my minimum threshold. That would mean my activate pulse (mine are set like Lordlunder above, using 5% and 95% for the min/max thresholds) would only reach the toggle port if the previous signal was a deactivate pulse, and it would do that by using the capacity measurement to determine if the capacity matches what the system would expect from a reactor that's been filling up the buffer for a while.

Not sure exactly how to do that in a compact and pretty system though.

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
I decided to try out the Programmable RedNet Controller like had been previously mentioned here and see if it had a simple way to do what I need, and despite the apparent lack of documentation/generic tutorials on the PRC mechanics that I found, I think I've found a solution.

This requires 6 circuits and 5 variables, so it is doable with no upgrades. I used just one rednet port, one PRC, and one cable to connect the two. PRC sat against the face of the reactor, so the cable connected to the top of the PRC (U, for Up).

Port setup:
-White = Output: Energy Amount (%)
-Lime = Input: Toggle Reactor On/Off; Activates On: Level

Any colors will do, but I set white as output bc it's the default in the PRC and lime as the input bc power light.

Circuits setup:
1) Greater Than Or Equal (Reactor buffer target max on deactivate)
A: I/O U White
B: CNST 51 (kept narrow percentages for quick testing; would normally set to 95)
Q: VARS 0

2) Less Than Or Equal (Reactor buffer target min on activate)
B: CNST 44 (would normally set to 5)
Q: VARS 1

3) Greater Than (For JK-FlipFlop K input to allow reactor shutdown)
B: CNST 50 (would normally set to 94
Q: VARS 2

4) Less Than (For JK-FlipFlop J input to allow reactor startup)
B: CNST 45 (would normally set to 6)
Q: VARS 3

5) Or (2-Input) (for JK-FlipFlop CLK input)
I0: VARS 0
I1: VARS 1
O: VARS 4

6) JK-FlipFlop (provides on/off signal to reactor port)
J: VARS 3
K: VARS 2
CLK: VARS 4
Q: I/O U Lime
Q#: NULL

How this works:
The first and second circuits are the controls that output a variable based on the chosen max and min buffer storage amounts. In my test setup, the first sends a signal as long as the buffer is above 51% , which can then be routed to shut down the reactor. The second provides the same but for the low end: As long as the buffer is below 44%, a signal is turned on and can be used to start up the reactor.

The third and fourth circuits tell the JK-FlipFlop whether to ready the reactor shutdown command (circuit 3, K) or the reactor startup command (circuit 4, J).

The fifth circuit combines the signals from the first and second circuits to send a command to toggle the reactor's state--either activating it if the buffer is low or deactivating it if the buffer is almost full.

The sixth and final circuit is the JK-FlipFlop, which reads the buffer level and decides which control commands to let through accordingly. The JK-FlipFlop is basically a flipflop that can be manually set up with two switches. One switch allows the flipflop to initiate a signal (used for reactor startup) while the other allows the flipflop to kill the signal (to shut down the reactor). If both switches are activated, the whole thing just becomes a simple T-FlipFlop and toggles every time a rising edge signal comes in (the "on" stage of a redstone on/off cycle; the falling edge is the "off" stage of a redstone cycle). If neither switch is activated, the flipflop cannot change the signal's state. If the J switch is activated but the K switch is deactivated, then the flipflop is allowed to activate the signal but not deactivate; if they're reversed, then the flipflop is only allowed to deactivate the signal and not to activate it. This is the real brain of this setup, because it looks at whether the reactor buffer is high or low and then decides to either 1) only allow the reactor to be turned on or 2) only allow the reactor to turn off. This is the critical stage missing from my redstone port setup right now, as the reactor toggle has no discriminatory process to determine whether it needs to go one way or the other--it just cycles if there's a change in buffer state into whatever run state it's currently not.

So there you have it. I think this is going to fool-proof my reactor setup in my survival world, letting me trust that it will turn on and off as necessary. It's also more compact and pretty, using just one port instead of three, one cable and a PRC instead of 3 conduits. You can, I'm sure, run the buffer check to some energy storage besides the reactor, but this is my first time working with the PRC, so I don't know how it interacts with other mods. I'm sure I could find out, but my energy system just needs this kind of setup right now.

If you were to hook it up to another energy storage option (Ender IO capacitor banks, for instance) external to your reactor so the reactor had longer cycles, then it would likely be a tiny bit more messy, depending on how close your reactor and energy banks are.

Last edited:
Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Brotuulaan

Jan 14, 2018
Cool! The flipflop looks like it works pretty well for feeding the reactor via vanilla circuits! I hadn't heard of a JK flipflop until looking through the PRC operations, but that's a wicked useful circuit!

Did you ever run into any errors with your vanilla setup? I'm not sure how it could go wrong. I wonder how you would set that up in a PRC, since the PRC t flipflop uses just the one gated input rather than two inputs like your t flipflop. That's kind of a quasi-JK.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
That's a good question! I'm not super familiar with the PRC unfortunately; I set that up for demonstration purposes and didn't have any issues at the time but I didn't stress test it thoroughly - it might encounter issues if the power is drained very quickly, as the circuit takes a small amount of time to operate?

I'm pretty sure this was operating as an RS latch rather than a toggle though; the 95% point is effectively the reset, turning it off, and the 5% point is effectively the set, turning it on.