How often does the FTB launcher update?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Illmad

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, I mean the mods. Azanor just released another update for Thaumcraft 3, and I'm curious as to how long it will take for either FTB or Direwolf20's mod pack to update to the newest version.
Does it update once for every time a mod releases a new version, or does it have a fixed schedule (like, once or twice a month) and any mod that fails to update before that time, has to wait for the next update to have its newest version included?
I've only played FTB for about a month, so I'm not yet familiar with how the updates work and if there's a system to them at all.

Abdiel

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty much "whenever the authors feel like", which can take weeks. If you're playing singleplayer, I would recommend just updating manually.

(Yes, for servers this kind of defeats the point of having a modpack. But we have to do with what we've got...)

Illmad

Jul 29, 2019
I would update manually, but Adfly keeps screwing me over, preventing me from accessing the downloads page for the mod. It keeps getting stuck on the "Please wait" page. I tried disabling adblock, but the only thing that does is filling the page I'm stuck on with ads.

frederikam

Jul 29, 2019
I heard someone mention "Mondays" but I don't know if that was a reliable source.
Slowpoke said:
From now on we will only be releasing mod pack and launcher updates on a Monday. This does not mean that we will be updating every Monday, just this is when updates will generally be pushed to help admins plan etc. The only exception to this is if a critical update needs to be pushed in an emergency.
Source.
Slowpoke mentioned it.

Illmad

Jul 29, 2019
I managed to download the latest version of Thaumcraft 3, but it requires a version of Forge that is only compatible with Minecraft 1.4.7. However, the FTB launcher still only has 1.4.6. Is there any way I can update to 1.4.7 before the launcher updates? I tried porting the BIN folder from vanilla .Minecraft into FTB .Minecraft. Probably a stupid idea, since the game wouldn't even launch.

Icarus White

Jul 29, 2019
Well, you could switch to the "internal testing" version of the modpacks - those run on 1.4.7, so you should be fine there.
But then again, "internal testing". I would back up my save carefully first.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
The mod packs will only be updated on a Monday (unless there are some special circumstances), but there were some issues with the packs that were meant to be pushed this week, so they will be tested for a few more days. You can still select them in the launcher if you want though :)

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to be on the bleeding edge rather than wait for the FTB launcher to update, MultiMC is a good choice. It's relatively easy to set up a custom instance with whichever version of Minecraft you want it to run along with the mods you want in it (and in fact, it can even import your FTB folder directly as a starting point). I've switched back and forth a few times myself when I wanted something that wasn't yet available in FTB. To switch back from MultiMC to FTB once it updates, all you have to do is copy your world save over.

Illmad

Jul 29, 2019
I play FTB because I'm too lazy and incompetent when it comes to computer stuff to update and maintain my installed mods. What I've done so far today is pretty much the extent of what I'm willing to do. Guess I'll just have to wait for Monday. But if Monday comes without any update, I'll walk on the goddamn walls to get this up and working.

In the mean time I'm just going to watch Forgecraft lets plays in hopes of catching a few glimpses of new TC3 content.

Anyways, thanks for trying to help me.

TomT

Jul 29, 2019
The launcher will update your client mods, but you will have to download and upload the new server jar right? Probably obvious, but I am pretty noob to FTB servers. :)

Illmad

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't know about the server thing. I only play single player. But after the merging of SSP and SMP, I'm no longer sure if that concerns me or not, so I'd like to know more about that too.

OmegaPython

Jul 29, 2019
You have to redownload the server files. Although SP and MP were merged, you still need the updated files for the mods on your server :)

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I play FTB because I'm too lazy and incompetent when it comes to computer stuff to update and maintain my installed mods. What I've done so far today is pretty much the extent of what I'm willing to do. Guess I'll just have to wait for Monday. But if Monday comes without any update, I'll walk on the goddamn walls to get this up and working.

In the mean time I'm just going to watch Forgecraft lets plays in hopes of catching a few glimpses of new TC3 content.

Anyways, thanks for trying to help me.

I'm pretty much the same, but MultiMC is incredibly easy to use. Just download, launch, click the drop down and import from FTB.