How often do you visit other people's bases?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Usually for trading or running supplies for a bigger projects.

And when you inevitably get killed doing something stupid then respawn in a random location with no food and the sun setting- seeing lights in the distance is a welcome sight.

Do you use iguana tweaks that makes you respawn randomly instead of back in your bed?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
That's a road I don't want to go down, it never ends well. I'm just basing my statement off of previous posts of his.
Well, I can't really see it going any way. This is FTB, a forge based modpack, and Better Than Wolves isn't a Forge compatible mod. Not much else to say about it.

Reactions: Padfoote

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
There was no fight.

So hows about the weather in our local region lately? Man it has sure been very that temprature that it has been. If this keeps up my mood will definitely continue.

In other news, how do other people manage building communal towns? Is it more like a bunch of plots zoned off per person or do you communualize all aspects of your builds? I am thinking about making a centralized processing facility that allows us to reduce redundant factories and power plants. I tend to be the one who goes full on into that anyways.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
SIn other news, how do other people manage building communal towns? Is it more like a bunch of plots zoned off per person or do you communualize all aspects of your builds? I am thinking about making a centralized processing facility that allows us to reduce redundant factories and power plants. I tend to be the one who goes full on into that anyways.

We all have our individual towns/bases in the overworld with a lot of wilderness between then.
Anything communal is signed (like mobtrap output), and crop farms are considered public as long as you replant.

Remember the nether is 8x smaller- my closest neighbour is over 800 blocks away and our portals still merged (separating them was fairly easy). It takes about a minute to go and visit his place.
The remaining places are further out*, but its all a few minutes walk/cart ride away, so the community still feels close. We all have our own tunnel sections/designs to look after as a communal project.

*further out- 1000s of blocks apart. Yet so close.
Building together is ok as long as you agree on who's doing what and where- no rigid plots as such as different builds have different footprints.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
On a server I and a friend of mine co-own, theres about 4 or five of us on there. We all have our separate bases of course, but we all use my place as a workshop since I'm the most techy guy on there. But yeah, we all work closely together and feel no need to keep things to ourselves. :)

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
Everytime I log on. I always visit.

I never steal anything. I've been stolen from so many time though that I just open my chests up to anybody. I keep some crucial things in a strongbox, but mostly open chests.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Everytime I log on. I always visit.

I never steal anything. I've been stolen from so many time though that I just open my chests up to anybody. I keep some crucial things in a strongbox, but mostly open chests.

Thanks to MFFS and CC I am going to setup a theft field that only effects people who go snooping and stealing from my chests.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
I've been stolen from so many time though that I just open my chests up to anybody. I keep some crucial things in a strongbox, but mostly open chests.
I don't understand how people can play on a server when they lose their work constantly.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
I don't understand how people can play on a server when they lose their work constantly.

There is quite a difference between friends taking some resources from you, and strangers pillaging your home of everything of value. Especially if your friends pay you back or you have such abundance that it doesnt really impact you.

Reactions: Padfoote

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
There is quite a difference between friends taking some resources from you, and strangers pillaging your home of everything of value. Especially if your friends pay you back or you have such abundance that it doesnt really impact you.
"Stealing" implies that it is without permission. Regardless of if you think it is valuable, one mans trash is another mans treasure. For instance, if you need some rotten flesh and you take it from your friends base and think "Oh it's just rotten flesh", and it turns out that they really need it for a mega build involving lots of Blood Stone. Value is temporary in Minecraft.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
True, but in FTB, if one wants lots of rotten flesh for a build they tend not to go out and collect it like they would in regular MineCraft - they build something that'll generate so much of the stuff that they suddenly feel the need to build more disk drives or whatever to store it all.

That is to say, people tend to have insignificant amounts of items they don't care about, or more then they could ever use if they do. Middle ground's getting rarer, and so are items that even qualify as "rare" - MystCraft + Quarries + AE systems = everyone has everything accessible via one block within the first week.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
True, but in FTB, if one wants lots of rotten flesh for a build they tend not to go out and collect it like they would in regular MineCraft - they build something that'll generate so much of the stuff that they suddenly feel the need to build more disk drives or whatever to store it all.

That is to say, people tend to have insignificant amounts of items they don't care about, or more then they could ever use if they do. Middle ground's getting rarer, and so are items that even qualify as "rare" - MystCraft + Quarries + AE systems = everyone has everything accessible via one block within the first week.
Erm, no. I rarely ever build mob farms. I tend to spend the majority of my time building cool buildings, not making things efficient.

Also, don't assume everyone uses AE. Actually, a lot of people don't.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
"Stealing" implies that it is without permission. Regardless of if you think it is valuable, one mans trash is another mans treasure. For instance, if you need some rotten flesh and you take it from your friends base and think "Oh it's just rotten flesh", and it turns out that they really need it for a mega build involving lots of Blood Stone. Value is temporary in Minecraft.

When I said everything of value, I meant being ransacked. I was painting a picture of a spectrum of theivery. One end being acceptable, the other end being I would track down their base and place some anitmatter explosives in it (I do backups). Everyone draws their lines differently in that regard. If we were on the same server, I'm sure we would develop our own understanding of where that line was drawn. You could be sure I would reimburse what I took, if not double the value when it was returned. I only ever play with friends though, so its never really been an issue.

Reactions: SatanicSanta