How much water does a boiler need?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
So, I want to build a RC 36HP boiler and as it is pretty expensive I don't want it to blow up on me.
Thus I'd like to know how much water such a boiler would use up as well as how much water a TE AA generates in comparison (more/less/exactly the amount needed).

CTMiner

Jul 29, 2019
One TE AA with two water source blocks touching two of its faces and outputting directly into the machine or using gold pipes should work, but don't quote me on that.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Boilers take a while to heat up, they boil water at a constant rate after 100C, and explosion temperature is around 200-250C.

Set up, and get it warming, set up your AA and dont connect it until you hit 100C, then see if the water tank fills.
(if it doesnt, you have plenty of time to make a second AA)

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Many people can fuel a max size HP boiler on just 1 AA, so it will be plenty. Just make sure they are in the same chunk/are both loaded with chunk loaders so the boiler will always have water.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
I have just been burying an aqueous accumulator right under the boiler. Gets a direct connection, is hidden, no pipes, obviously same chunk, and keeps any size boiler full.

AA used to keep pipes full almost instantly, but it seems that was tweaked with liquiducts. I would not count on BC pipes for a boiler and would avoid using a water source outside of the boiler chunk.

Another trick is solid boilers will draw fuel from any chests touching the fireboxes. Not sure if the liquid boilers will draw from tanks directly, anyone know?

I like to use an iron 'or' gate on steam engines attached to the boiler. Redstone signal if the engine is green or blue. Runs the engines 100% of the time, unless the engine has a problem -- like no where to send power. Then it prevents an engine explosion.

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
yeah that was exactly what I am going to do with the AA since I do not trust gold pipes :D
and I don't think I will need the gates since I am going to use conduits and energy cells to store the energy so they will not overheat afaik.