How much memory should FTB Monster take?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Trond007

Jul 29, 2019
It takes 9GB when I start up Monster, and another GB with texturepack 128x. What's up with the memory eating?

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Java is a memory hungry monster. Lower the amount of memory dedicated to 3 gigs(4 max). Otherwise, it'll use all the memory you give it.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Answer: A shit ton. Metric of course.

Real Answer: I have seen as low as 3 gigs for a client and as high as 12.

SaintLucifer

Jul 29, 2019
Is a issue with 1.1, some mod combinations seem to make the ram usage go to the roof, while on older versions like 1.0.10 it would never go above 3gb.

Putzaroo

Jul 29, 2019
I would like to know how much you SHOULD give monster... I have 16g available and use sphax64. How much is overdoing it?

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
It takes 9GB when I start up Monster, and another GB with texturepack 128x. What's up with the memory eating?
It's called modded minecraft, what do you expect?
Use a 64x texture pack, not much difference in textures but a lot of difference in FPS!
*sigh* Some people really aren't friends with common sense.[DOUBLEPOST=1395946733][/DOUBLEPOST]
I would like to know how much you SHOULD give monster... I have 16g available and use sphax64. How much is overdoing it?
More than 7.
Also, refer to my answer above.

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Use a 64x texture pack, not much difference in textures but a lot of difference in FPS!
*sigh* Some people really aren't friends with common sense.[DOUBLEPOST=1395946733][/DOUBLEPOST]
More than 7.

Depends on your specs man. I'm pretty sure the texture packs aren't stored in ram, only in Vram. Though they might be swapped into ram if for some reason the CPU needs access to them for whatever reason, or if you simply don't have enough vram.

That "should" be how it works... But minecraft does some strange things at times.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
More than 7.
Um, no 7 is a TERRIBLE idea. Usually 2-3 gigs, sometimes more is perfect. An extra gig if using texturepacks

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
In general texture packs are a meh idea at most. If I ever use a texture pack, I use 32x32 at most. But ThatOneSlowKing's right, 7 gig is a really bad idea. Monster never used more than 2-3 gig in Omicron's testing way back. Ofc with a texture pack you'll have to invest a bit more so I'd say 3 gig at first. If you experience FPS lag you can bump it to 4 gig but I wouldn't recommend more than that.

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
using 64 bit java and default textures I get annoying lagspikes with maximum memory set to 1GB but it runs fine if I up it to 1.5.

I tried using sphax and it's pretty laggy even if I up the memory to 2GB.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
using 64 bit java and default textures I get annoying lagspikes with maximum memory set to 1GB but it runs fine if I up it to 1.5.

I tried using sphax and it's pretty laggy even if I up the memory to 2GB.
With a texture pack, 3 GB or 4 GB is best. I personally don't use texture packs because they eat so much memory.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
With a texture pack, 3 GB or 4 GB is best. I personally don't use texture packs because they eat so much memory.

Mine is a fairly old machine and only has 4GB of RAM in total, never thought i'd need to consider upgrading my PC to run minecraft lol.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Mine is a fairly old machine and only has 4GB of RAM in total, never thought i'd need to consider upgrading my PC to run minecraft lol.
Yeah, you should definitely consider upgrading your PC. Minecraft has become a more and more resource intensive game since the developers keep on adding things, but don't optimize the code already made. Hence some garbage code here and there. It also uses Java which, by itself, is very resource hungry. Considering that with the 100 or so mods we're trying to add, it's not surprising that Minecraft will take so much memory.

How can you stand vanilla?
Sphax makes me feel warm inside.
The Sphax mobs always freaked me out a bit too much, and everything is changed way too much for my tastes. :p Of course I'm not like everyone out there.