How long will the new FTB packs last?

DeadlyPeanut

Jul 29, 2019
I know its a hard question to answer but does anyone have any guesses ?

I like my server to have decent longevity meaning its not considered out of date within no time. As we mostly like to build things and having a world scattered with all sorts of crazy crap we thought up go away cause of a mod pack change.

FTB ultimate was released back in March and now its basically obsolete. So 5 months or so.

I would like to get longer out a mod pack then that personally. Already having to consider scraping the world that we built for a new one.

And converting an ultimate world into one of the new packs ( mostly likely unleashed even though i love gregtech his exclusive pack really dosnt have any meat on the bone mod wise ) Is next to impossible if not impossible all together.

So does anyone have any guesses ? Is it going to be another 4 - 5 month thing and unleashed, and my new-new server, gets kicked to the curb or are we going to get any length out of these new packs ?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The more mainstream mods are getting pretty stable. I think Thermal Expansion and MFR are 2 of the big names to not have at least dev stuff available. I really don't see it taking more than a month before the new packs are obsolete at this rate.

But you never know.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
the packs will tend to break whenever Mojang does something big with the base game. so yeah. getting 5 months out of a world (modded or not) is actually pretty decent imho. it's a sad thing really, but tbh. i prefer it this way. I'd be rather quickly bored of the game otherwise.

DeadlyPeanut

Jul 29, 2019
I had my unmodded vanilla world for years and years. Sure they would add new stuff and you would have to find new chunks to get the new ores IE Emeralds, But everything worked and it was compatible with previous version when updated. But really cant ask the same from a modded world , especially an super modded world like FTB packs. But i wish they would last longer it seems the packs just get abandoned with a few months and then replaced all together a few months after they gave up on it. I guess the solution would be to stick with a mod pack and resist the urge to upgrade to the newer better thing all the time and replace the world every other or every 3rd or 4th modpack... but everyone wants new things :(

vodkablue

Jul 29, 2019
I think with mystcraft you would have a better chance of keeping a world for a lot longer as you will just be able to generate new terrain.

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
I think with mystcraft you would have a better chance of keeping a world for a lot longer as you will just be able to generate new terrain.
We're not talking about generating new areas, we're talking about the ID conflicts between packs, the mods added and removed, that kind of thing. For example, if you took an FTB Ultimate world and got it sorted and working in Unleashed, any RP2 stuff would be gone because RP2 doesn't exist for 1.5.2.

Lord Wumbo

Jul 29, 2019
Just stay on Ultimate. I like Unleashed and all, but to me, Ultimate just has a few more mods to add to the tech area like GregTech and Advanced Machines.

Although, if you really want to, you could make a customized Ultimate pack that has all the mods updated to 1.5 or 1.6 and add in all the up-to-date mods and configure the IDs yourself to be the same. But, good luck with that.

TheBaconator

Jul 29, 2019
Just stay on Ultimate. I like Unleashed and all, but to me, Ultimate just has a few more mods to add to the tech area like GregTech and Advanced Machines.

Although, if you really want to, you could make a customized Ultimate pack that has all the mods updated to 1.5 or 1.6 and add in all the up-to-date mods and configure the IDs yourself to be the same. But, good luck with that.

Or you could do the easy thing and just add GregTech to Unleashed like I did...no ID conflicts whatsoever.

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
The short answer is the modpacks last as long as you want them to last. If you're happy with the modpack now, then why wouldn't you be 5 months from now? If you choose/want to always have the most up to date packs, then map resets are something you/your server chooses to live with.

un worry

Jul 29, 2019
I'd say until FTB makes a 1.6 (or later) supported pack and when Eloraam gets her ass into gear with the next RP2 version. (Or someone makes a replacement.)

Eloraam has moved on and so have we. I will miss the simplicity of pneumo tubes and such a huge array of useful blocks, but if the latest comments from devs close to her are to be taken seriously, she won't be back.

It's a shame, but then again Redpower was a great mod for it's time, and time marches on. Thanks Elo.

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
Eloraam has moved on and so have we. I will miss the simplicity of pneumo tubes and such a huge array of useful blocks, but if the latest comments from devs close to her are to be taken seriously, she won't be back.

It's a shame, but then again Redpower was a great mod for it's time, and time marches on. Thanks Elo.

It's funny you say that...

2rzrlgi.png

Doesn't sound like she's moved on. Just busy. Major updates are always slow. She's a busy person, and major updates to Minecraft seem to break a lot of Redpower. Honestly, she can take the time she needs. she always makes redpower really awesome. It's worth the wait. Until then we've got other mod developers generously giving their time to develop mods, which don't replace RP2, but give us another take on a feature RP2 provided and much much more.

Reactions: Shadowzfire

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
It's funny you say that...

2rzrlgi.png

That tweet was two months ago and there hasn't been a peep since then. I don't believe anyone seriously believes there will be another release of Red Power anytime soon, and whether her mod is good or not it shouldn't be included in FTB. She doesn't communicate with anyone, keeps the source closed do cross-mod compatibility is horrible, won't let anyone help her out with coding, won't fix glaring bugs that have been well documented for months, and takes forever between releases.

She doesn't get paid for this and owes us nothing, so if this is how she wants to develop her mod then more power to her. But her approach is incompatible with the needs of a large, popular pack joining together many different mods. I'd be surprised if Red Power is ever included again absent some fairly radical changes in Eloraam's development methods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: Riuga

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
That tweet was two months ago and there hasn't been a peep since then. I don't believe anyone seriously believes there will be another release of Red Power anytime soon, and whether her mod is good or not it shouldn't be included in FTB. She doesn't communicate with anyone, keeps the source closed do cross-mod compatibility is horrible, won't let anyone help her out with coding, won't fix glaring bugs that have been well documented for months, and takes forever between releases.

She doesn't get paid for this and owes us nothing, so if this is how she wants to develop her mod then more power to her. But her approach is incompatible with the needs of a large, popular pack joining together many different mods. I'd be surprised if Red Power is ever included again absent some fairly radical changes in Eloraam's development methods.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

It really doesn't matter if she communicates with anyone or not. When the mod is ready, it'll be included in FTB unless Eloraam asks that it not be included. Other mod developers have chosen to work together because that's what they chose to do. Eloraam chooses to work alone. That's her choice. It's her right to choose it. You said yourself. She doesn't get paid for it and doesn't owe anything to anyone. That's where the conversation begins and ends. You don't like it. Tough.

Jaded's response to people whining about the mistake that happened with the Dw20 pack applies here too. The mod will be ready when it's ready, and will be included in FTB packs at that time. RP2 is her mod. If she doesn't want help or update people about it every two days, that's also her right. People on the FTB team and in this community understand that modders are people too. They have real lives and jobs. Why would anyone on the FTB team punish Eloraam for having a life?

I really don't get how someone can say "Modders don't get paid and owe up nothing," and then in the very next sentence suggest said modders get punished for having a life or not following some imaginary set of rules.

For reference because it applies:

To the community :

If we aren't communicating with you and giving updates its because there is nothing new to add. Frankly its the whole "you owe us your time" thing that is driving mod developers and modpack makers away from the community. Its the 5 year old in the back seat going "are we there yet" every 5 mins. The question was answered in the post. We are testing and will have a version up when its ready. Its in plain English. People are pinging me on teamspeak, irc and the forums almost non-stop and every last questions is "is it done yet" . No. If it was done it would be on the launcher. The fact that its not on the launcher means its not done. And yes I am getting annoyed. This is the reason mod authors vanish. Its the reason mod pack creators give up. We do not owe you anything. Not the modpack team, not the mod devs , not the FTB staff. Most of us do this because its a hobby. The instant it feels like unpaid slave labor is when people quit. You want things done as fast as possible we get that. We aren't sitting here holding completed and tested packs and refusing to give them to you. And no I am not going to spend every waking hour working on modpacks. As a community its not the mod devs and modpack creators that suck at communicating. Its the end user. For every person that says thanks there are a thousand people whining , complaining , attacking and demanding. Its a game people. Its not life or death. Its not a war zone , its a game. You are not going to keel over dead because it takes longer. If you absolutely positively cannot bear to not be able to play, please reassess your priorities in life. Go to the park, read a book, spend some time with family or friends. I will not work myself into a heart attack for people who feel I owe them my time. I am tired of watching mod devs go from friendly and interactive to grumpy, stressed and vanishing because the vocal minority feels they have the right to demand things from a persons hobby.

Reactions: Kik

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
"We're mod makes and better than you, so if you bother us with questions we'll throw a hissy fit"

And if you seriously think Eloraam is working on RP2: that's just wishful thinking. SHe's been fed up with modding for a long time and only pushed out ONE buggy 1.4.7 update. She probably won't be coming back for a long time.

Reactions: Zexks

cynric

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't get how someone can say "Modders don't get paid and owe up nothing," and then in the very next sentence suggest said modders get punished for having a life or not following some imaginary set of rules.

I don't see anything about punishment in that post. Not including a mod that has a history of being buggy, causing lag and crashes and that probably won't get supported in a timely manner is a choice the FTB creators will have to make to provide an enjoyable modpack. I'm sure there are many mods that didn't make it into the pack due to similar issues.

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
"We're mod makes and better than you, so if you bother us with questions we'll throw a hissy fit"

And if you seriously think Eloraam is working on RP2: that's just wishful thinking. SHe's been fed up with modding for a long time and only pushed out ONE buggy 1.4.7 update. She probably won't be coming back for a long time.

It's really the exact opposite. It's people like you, who think moders throw hissy fits when they get annoyed when you constantly demand things of them, that think they're better than everyone else. You are the people that act like something is owed to you and it has to be done when you say it has to be done, or else.

I've seen absolutely nothing from Eloraam to say she's fed up with modding. In fact the post I showed, which is her most recent one, indicates the exact opposite.

I don't see anything about punishment in that post. Not including a mod that has a history of being buggy, causing lag and crashes and that probably won't get supported in a timely manner is a choice the FTB creators will have to make to provide an enjoyable modpack. I'm sure there are many mods that didn't make it into the pack due to similar issues.

That's weird. I've never had RP2 related bugs. The only bugs I've seen where when DW20 was using an alpha or beta build in forgecraft. It's so buggy that they included it in pretty much every modpack. Hell I bet even Tekkit has it in most if not all their 1.4.7 packs too. It causes so much lag that servers DIDN'T disable it. Yeah that makes sense.

It's punishing someone to demand they update their mod according to your schedule or else the mod doesn't get put into any of the mod packs. Luckily you're not in charge here, and the people that are understand that modders have lives too. They have friends and family to spend time with (especially now since it's summer), and jobs.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Let's not make this personal, please. I'm already inclined to close down threads that beat the RP2 dead horse and going into personal territory makes the certainty of that approach 100% rapidly.

Be Nice. Thanks.