How far do Redstone Conduits carry energy?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MortalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
I have 18 industrial steam engines powered by a big boiler. I'm trying to power some forestry stuff about 60 blocks away, as the crow flies, but they aren't getting energy at that distance. Is there some cut off like redstone?

Ewokz750

Jul 29, 2019
It could be that chunks are unloading so the power can't get to those blocks.

Perhaps add red stone batteries to the conduit line in the event chunks unloading isn't the issue?

MortalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
I added a world anchor to the boiler to check if it was chunks, it's definitely not enough power, then.

60 blocks means that 60 conduits need to store 1k energy each.
It'll take 60,000 MJ's before you'll see power on the other side.

Okay, now, will that result in 60k MJ's being used, as in being taken away from other things? Or it just requires that to run at all? Thanks.

okaayha

Jul 29, 2019
the conduits have internal storage so that means that they have to charge up 1ce before letting trough power

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure I can hook up a fresh conduit between an engine and a consumer and immediately see throughput...

INCSlayer

Nov 17, 2012
I'm pretty sure I can hook up a fresh conduit between an engine and a consumer and immediately see throughput...
as am, I i understood it that they conduits would fill up with the extra energy over timebut use

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
60 blocks means that 60 conduits need to store 1k energy each.
It'll take 60,000 MJ's before you'll see power on the other side.

Actually, no.

Only the last conduit stores any energy, and it always tries to pass it off first.

I have successfully hooked up over 100 conduit between 2 redstone cells and the second one immediately started receiving power from the first. This is at 10 MJ/T.

OP: Try using a wrench to align the arrows to make sure you aren't blocking the energy. At the engine, the arrow should point away, and at the end it should point into the forestry machine.

EDIT: Just tested, and worked fine.

High Pressure Steam Boiler ( 3x3x3 ). 1 Industrial steam engine. The conduit was 65 blocks long, ending in a redstone cell.

I flipped the lever, and waited a few seconds for steam to reach the engine. ( I had the engine window open. ) Once the engine began producing 0.1 MJ/T, I ran full speed using quantum armor and reached the cell in around 3 seconds. I opened it, and there was already 16 MJs in the cell.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
This would be a prudent thread to also point out that in an upgraded version of TE the in-out-nodirection of conduit was altered. The nodirection option was removed leaving just in or out, people were not aware of this and had engines exploding on themselves as the nodirection conduit pipe was altered to point back at itself, thus overloading the engine with nowhere for the power to go.

If for some reason you keep your world going from the beta pack to the 1.4.5 pack be very wary of this.