How far could I get in Infinity: Expert mode skyblock.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Lol I rage quit infinity skyblock after some skyhook buggerups claimed me.

Pro tip; Don't anchor your skyhook end point to the ground. You will clip through the ground which you can assume does not end well in a skyblock.

Another pro tip; if you insist on using a sky hook, don't do it over the void. If you crash or server restarts and you are hanging over the void you will not be attached to the cable when you log back in.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
My friend and I are nearing the end of IE:E Overworld, i.e. non-Skyblock. It's been months of fun and time spent. Very, very long pack.

I can maybe barely imagine doing IE:E Skyblock.

And, nice base, @Chris Becke :)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Some ... ah, Observations re starting in 'don't use all the same old lame mods mode':

* Immersive Engineering pipes seem to have trouble inserting fluids into Forestry or Railcraft devices if the water is being auto inserted via a (e.g.) Railcraft Water Siding. Perhaps they need to be pumped? But the IE pump is ... somewhat unobtainable at the start.
* The Hobbyiest's Steam Engine is a trap. It burns a piece of coke coal for 4800 ticks (not the 3200 the tooltip says!?) - assuming it is producing the proper 20RF/t that is 96000RF per unit of fuel. The automatic sifting table takes 8000 RF per operation, so each piece of coke coal yields a whopping 12 sieve operations. Of course, it takes a long time for the Steam Engine to reach full speed, so it mostly does about 16RF/t, - which means each piece of coke coal generates enough RF to do ~9 operations. And, when Sifting Gravel, you can expect 1 piece of plain coal per 9 operations. So you can probably break even on coal as long as you turn it all into coke coal, only operate the Steam Engine at peak speed, and never use the RF for doing anything other than sifting Gravel.
* The Railcraft Rock Crusher is also a trap. 24 diamonds get sunk into a device that uses 16,000 RF to crush a piece of rock. It also has not been taught how to produce Ex Nihilo dust. By contrast, the other "crushing" machines use 3,200 to 1,600 RF per operation (I'm not sure what RF equivalent the Macerator uses as, given the tech tree, that is probably the most accessible of the lot). It also maxes out at 160RF/t, so at full speed you are looking at 100 ticks per crush operation so it can, with sufficient power, outpace an unaugmented auto sieve (which takes 200 ticks per operation).

Last edited:
Reactions: MigukNamja

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Some ... ah, Observations re starting in 'don't use all the same old lame mods mode':

* Immersive Engineering pipes seem to have trouble inserting fluids into Forestry or Railcraft devices if the water is being auto inserted via a (e.g.) Railcraft Water Siding. Perhaps they need to be pumped? But the IE pump is ... somewhat unobtainable at the start.
* The Hobbyiest's Steam Engine is a trap. It burns a piece of coke coal for 4800 ticks (not the 3200 the tooltip says!?) - assuming it is producing the proper 20RF/t that is 96000RF per unit of fuel. The automatic sifting table takes 8000 RF per operation, so each piece of coke coal yields a whopping 12 sieve operations. Of course, it takes a long time for the Steam Engine to reach full speed, so it mostly does about 16RF/t, - which means each piece of coke coal generates enough RF to do ~9 operations. And, when Sifting Gravel, you can expect 1 piece of plain coal per 9 operations. So you can probably break even on coal as long as you turn it all into coke coal, only operate the Steam Engine at peak speed, and never use the RF for doing anything other than sifting Gravel.
* The Railcraft Rock Crusher is also a trap. 24 diamonds get sunk into a device that uses 16,000 RF to crush a piece of rock. It also has not been taught how to produce Ex Nihilo dust. By contrast, the other "crushing" machines use 3,200 to 1,600 RF per operation (I'm not sure what RF equivalent the Macerator uses as, given the tech tree, that is probably the most accessible of the lot). It also maxes out at 160RF/t, so at full speed you are looking at 100 ticks per crush operation so it can, with sufficient power, outpace an unaugmented auto sieve (which takes 200 ticks per operation).

Not played with Skyblock, but as most of the recipes carry over unchanged...

I agree that the Hobbyist's Steam Engine isn't worth your time. Even in a non-skyblock setting, the only thing that makes them even somewhat attractive is the ability to find them for free in villages. Spending resources to build them for such a pitiful return is a waste.

I recall the Rock Crusher as a needed stepping stone, due mainly to the need for Crushed Obsidian (TE Machine Frames). There may be another way to obtain that, but I remember the Rock Crusher being the first/email easiest way to get it. It offers itself as an ore doubler, but I didn't really use it for that more than a few times after building it.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Some ... ah, Observations re starting in 'don't use all the same old lame mods mode'

With most packs, that would be a decent and entertaining challenge. With IE:E overworld, that would be extremely difficult - IE:E is already tedious/long enough as-is. With IE:E Skyblock (with a very specific balance built-in WRT ExNihilo processing built on said "old lame mods"), that is a Herculean task, sir.

My hats to you, your fortitude, and your patience. I don't think I'd have the stomach for what you're doing, but am learning a lot from your reports.

Even in IE:E overworld with no self-imposed limits, I didn't use the Rock Crusher beyond Crushed Obsidian and didn't use Hobbyist's at all. I mostly made liberal use of "same old lame mods", specifically TE3 Pulverizer, IC2 Macerator, and eIO SAG Mill. Possible exception was Immersive Engineering Crusher. Very cool machine that looks and sounds like exactly what it does.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
The Immersive Engineering Crusher is cool, but it's so slow. I had one world where I was using it for nothing more than processing coal ore (because it had the best return), and it ended up with multiple thousands of blocks of ore backlogged in the machine. It kept running for literal days after I stopped quarrying.

Reactions: MigukNamja
E

eneKusho

I said the same when I tried this pack for the first time, "oh my god, industrialcraft?!, BUILDCRAFT!?, IMMERSIVE ENGINEERING?!, heck no"
But I've been playing with them and they're so cool.
And yeah, this pack is a little bit "grindy" (even tho you can easily afk for the materials)
Took me like 1 hour of crafting to get my molecular transformer >_>

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I recall the Rock Crusher as a needed stepping stone, due mainly to the need for Crushed Obsidian (TE Machine Frames). There may be another way to obtain that, but I remember the Rock Crusher being the first/email easiest way to get it. It offers itself as an ore doubler, but I didn't really use it for that more than a few times after building it.

I see this. I'm ... well I guess my investment is not wasted then. So I have used it to make the crushed obsidian I need to make the IE Crusher - which is the crusher that uses a mere 1600 RF per operation - taking 80RF/t it should be taking 20 ticks (or 1 second) per operation.