How far could I get in Infinity: Expert mode skyblock.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
That was actually my point. Anything powerful enough to not take ages to do anything requires IC2 backbone. Seriously, any other choice would have been acceptable, but the guiding hand choked ms out on this one. Oh well. On to other things.
I'm actually ok with them using IC2, if for no other reason than to keep a classic mod in the spotlight a tiny bit. Its the only thing that will encourage that team to speed up cleaning up its mess.

That said: You can probably, with a few hours work, rip out IC2 and replace all the dependencies with some clever scripting. OK probably several hours work if you're not super familiar with minetweaker already :p

Reactions: GreenZombie

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Well, there is a reason why it's 'Expert' mode : it means that in every sense of the word. If you're looking to learn a mod and play it the way the mod author intended for it to be played, that might not happen. IC2 is largely untouched, but the magic mods especially have had major recipe changes.

And, this pack is not a GT-style pack that lengthens the early game. This pack lengthens the middle and late game. There's a lot of things gated behind power generation/requirements, plutonium, and iridium. If you don't invest into a substantial IC2 nuclear setup, progress is going to be very difficult.

Mid-to-late game, you're going to have to had progressed very far into:
  • IC2
  • Thaumcraft
  • Botania
  • Witchery
  • Blood Magic
  • Dracon Evolution
Those are the core, gating, "progression" mods that require you to all but "finish" the mod.

You will also need to make at least modest progress in:
  • Forestry
  • TiCo
  • TE
  • Agricraft
  • BC
  • Advanced Solar Panel
  • MFR, ImmersiveEngineering, or both
  • ExUt, Railcraft, or both
And, as in any SkyBlock pack these days, there's of course Ex Nihilo. If you can't stand any of the above mods or you want to learn them exactly as the author intended (TE, Agricraft, ImmersiveEngineering, and IC2 largely aside), this pack is not for you.

For the third tier, here are the mods that are very helpful, and would be difficult (but not impossible) to replace/substitute:
  • SimplyJetpacks
  • LP
  • eIO
  • StorageDrawers
  • RFTools
  • ProjectRed (for the logic)
  • Thaumic Tinkerer
Completely optional (in my experience), that *can* be ignored or substituted, but still very helpful mods are:

• IronChests
  • EnderStorage
  • JABBA
  • All bee mods
  • All other Thaumcraft add-on mods
  • AE2
  • Mystcraft
  • Bibliocraft
  • BigReactors
  • BoP
  • ComputerCraft
  • Steves's {Workshop, FactoryManager, Carts}
  • TwilightForest

Last edited:

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm actually ok with them using IC2, if for no other reason than to keep a classic mod in the spotlight a tiny bit. Its the only thing that will encourage that team to speed up cleaning up its mess.

That said: You can probably, with a few hours work, rip out IC2 and replace all the dependencies with some clever scripting. OK probably several hours work if you're not super familiar with minetweaker already :p

Agree 100%. If you absolutely can't stand IC2, you will need to search/replace all the recipes requiring plutonium, MOX fuel, and RTG. But, if you remove IC2, it guts a good part of the tech. in the pack. Big Reactors, for instance, was designed to come after one had made significant progress in IC2 nuclear. And, getting Uranium is a major gating mechanic. You're supposed to scrounge and scrape for Uranium until you either get super-lucky with an ImmersiveEngineering Uranium vein or else use the MFR Laser. Without the need for Uranium, a lot of the challenge of the early and middle game is gutted.

Closest substitution I can think of is Big Reactors and Yellorium. I recommend making Yellorium much more rare if you want to maintain the balance of the pack.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
Forestry actually does play a part in the tech tree, without it's circuit boards or electron tubes you honestly can't get far in tech. Other than that that list looks fairly accurate.

Reactions: MigukNamja

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry actually does play a part in the tech tree, without it's circuit boards or electron tubes you honestly can't get far in tech. Other than that that list looks fairly accurate.

Thanks for noticing that. I've edited (fixed) the error.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
You can actually make the Immersive Engineering Coke Oven so you don't need the Railcraft one.

Of course, if your goal includes ignoring ExU, the early game power option seems to be the Railcraft hobbyist steam engine, and the only vaguely infinite water supply that can be made at this stage of the game is the Railcraft siding. I would appreciate corrections, as the water siding can't supply a lot of water, and its quite big so its not really going to scale.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
A single RC water tank should be able to keep up with a few Hobbyist's. They're pretty easy on the water.

Short of that, a water bucket into a stack of BC tanks should last a while.

But, I'll promote ExUt up the list. I had forgotten about the Survivalist's Generator.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Agree 100%. If you absolutely can't stand IC2, you will need to search/replace all the recipes requiring plutonium, MOX fuel, and RTG. But, if you remove IC2, it guts a good part of the tech. in the pack. Big Reactors, for instance, was designed to come after one had made significant progress in IC2 nuclear. And, getting Uranium is a major gating mechanic. You're supposed to scrounge and scrape for Uranium until you either get super-lucky with an ImmersiveEngineering Uranium vein or else use the MFR Laser. Without the need for Uranium, a lot of the challenge of the early and middle game is gutted.

Closest substitution I can think of is Big Reactors and Yellorium. I recommend making Yellorium much more rare if you want to maintain the balance of the pack.

I found it easier to search and replace packs. No sense spending my limited free time frustrated. Inventions (with some added mods) is proving to be a better fit for my schedule anyway.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
A single RC water tank should be able to keep up with a few Hobbyist's. They're pretty easy on the water.

Short of that, a water bucket into a stack of BC tanks should last a while.

No pumps tho. Without ExU one needs a water supply that auto ejects into pipes.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
No pumps tho. Without ExU one needs a water supply that auto ejects into pipes.
It's not ideal but you can power a wooden BC fluid pipe with a survivalist engine.

IIRC I just manually filled my hobbiest engines with water and fuel until I got to the point where I could make a bc pump. In skyblock that became a fluid Transfer node as the world interaction upgrade was easier to obtain due to easy resources.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
And that's the only reason it's used, as a time gating mechanic with the non-upgradeable carpenter (the only way to make the circuit boards) and thermionic fabricator.

2 items that could easily have been replaced with something else.

Well that and to allow bees as a secondary path to some of the resources.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
And that's the only reason it's used, as a time gating mechanic with the non-upgradeable carpenter (the only way to make the circuit boards) and thermionic fabricator.

Yes, but very minor time gating mechanic. Early-game, you only need a handful of circuits or tubes at a time. Later game, you can queue up 100's of them at a time and/or make multiple Carpenters and Thermionic Fabricators.

Well that and to allow bees as a secondary path to some of the resources.

There's tons of bees in this pack, yes. You can get Uranium and Yellorium, among many other things, from bees.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Well. The railcraft water siding required slime balls which I got by creating a passive mob spawn area and using bait to get a cow. These things are (still) my principal source of water. I'll have to see ow far they get me before I am forced to resort to infinite water.

The hobbyist steam engine turned out to be a wash however. There are two ref powered sifting tables and I must admit that the models used for both betray a major failure of imagination. Something that is designed to be automated needs a model that reflects that. Solid sides with obvious couplings for power please.

At any rate the fuel used (coke coal) does not come near to recovering enough coal to keep the the thing powered.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You still bloody at it Chris? You really are bored if you are still giving expert mode a try. It's a convoluted mess and you seem to know it.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
You still bloody at it Chris? You really are bored if you are still giving expert mode a try. It's a convoluted mess and you seem to know it.

I tinker with this skyblock on and off :p
I definately don't skyblock "correctly" I built all this and have automated nothing other than a barrel of cobblestone.

vlm1nju.png