How do you sort/store your stuff (Monster)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nephrahim

Jul 29, 2019
See, this is why I love FTB. There's always some new mod that makes what I was trying to do before look stupid.

Saw D20 do an overview of logistics pipes and it seemed AMAZING. AE is a little harder to wrap my head around, even if it might ultimately be a better solution.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I prefer chests over a full blown ME network for a few reasons. Mainly being able to scroll items in and out but I also like having my items arranged in a certain way and not having to search all the time. Back in 1.4.7 I used diamond pipes, barrels and iron etc type chests until I had the resources to add storage busses to all of them and arrange them in a prettier fashion since the barrels could then be inputted from any side. One ME chest with a large drive to store the overflow and unsortables, a couple ME terminals here and there. I hardly ever bothered with autocrafting because I do like having a hand in things.

Now on 1.6.4 I have decided to do things differently. I dont even have iron chests installed anymore because TE strongboxes are superior and cheaper. Its especially cool that I can name them on an anvil and see it displayed via Waila. Extra Utilities sorting/mod sorting pipes do a fantastic job and I dont see a need to transition to AE anytime soon. If I do upgrade, it will probably be something very animated involving golems, itemducts and carts.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
It's kind of hard to explain, but I think I've done it enough that I might have a straight answer for once.

There's actually a few reasons.
  • I prefer seeing everything moving around, like carts.
  • I feel it really takes the "sorting" out of it, which is something I enjoy building.
  • It's too easy. I'm not talking balance, I'm talking ease. It's actually fairly balanced in terms of expense, because it is a truly powerful mod. But, being able to plop down a few blocks, shove a few storage discs into one of them, and then having tons of storage space just seems... I dunno, too simple.
  • The autocrafting is, um, boring. I don't even autocraft very often, it's usually something that requires a ton of steps, but I have to do it a ton (1.5 and before I would always autocraft Carbon Plates and Advanced Alloys from IC2). Like I said before, I prefer seeing everything moving around and doing things.
Mostly, it's just boring. I find everything about it to be dull.

E: And I understand that it is very powerful, and quite cool. It's just not my thing.
Well said. AE is very strong, and not cheap at all. It's easy not in terms of how much it costs but in terms of use. It's not a fun to sort with since you can't actually see things move around, and the autocrafting, while advanced, is boring.
My only counterpoint I can offer is when things are moving around in a way you can see it's harder on the system. So LP is not as light on the system, even though it's more interesting to see everything being crafted bit by bit, piece by piece, block by block... it's more intensive on the system. Moving things around via RC is actually a great choice since it looks pretty cool, works great, and is hell of a lot more creative then using AE or LP, but the downside to that is you can't see what's being moved unless you're moving liquids.

And sometimes, the coolness doesn't win out, as sometimes we have to be careful on our usage. I've seen uncounted people using RP2 to sort everything, and it was visually awesome and yet could kill a system if done incorrectly.
I've even seen a Youtube Video of some people on a server finding why their server was dying because of lag, and it was a duping glitch with a self-feeding set of RP2 pipes, causing an infinite amount of charcoal to appear in a small section of pipes when you feed it one.

So while it's more fun to see everything working, sometimes it's not really an option. Which sucks.

Reactions: Wagon153

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
For the most part I just have things stored near where I am likely to need them, in chests and/or Jabba barrels. On the rare occasion I do some sort of sorting 'system' I like to do it with carts (I like the look and sound) or with Buildcraft pipes.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the thing about that is, the only problem I've ever had is graphical problems, not related to performance. What I mean is that the cart would appear to be three blocks to a side of the track, and would appear to be floating. Or, it would just stop, and then teleport further along the track. Though, that's probably my internet rather than my computer.

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
Factorization is on my shortlist of mods that I may add, along with mekanism and minefactory reloaded. I need to watch some spotlights.

Reactions: kaovalin

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Whaaaaaaat? How!?
I absolutely hate the upgrade system.
Tier 1 = create a tier 1 upgrade, use on barrel
Tier 2 = create tier 2 upgrade out of a tier 1 upgrade, use on barrel
Tier 3 = create tier 3 upgrade out of tier 2 upgrade out of tier 1 upgrade, use on barrel
And so forth. It gets ridiculously expensive, and tedious, and annoying.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I absolutely hate the upgrade system.
Tier 1 = create a tier 1 upgrade, use on barrel
Tier 2 = create tier 2 upgrade out of a tier 1 upgrade, use on barrel
Tier 3 = create tier 3 upgrade out of tier 2 upgrade out of tier 1 upgrade, use on barrel
And so forth. It gets ridiculously expensive, and tedious, and annoying.
You might want to check the changes that were made. This is no longer the case(and hasn't been for a while IIRC).

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
You might want to check the changes that were made. This is no longer the case(and hasn't been for a while IIRC).
Last time I tried it, it was.

Regardless, I like how Fact. barrels look over JABBA, esp. how they adapt the wood texture. And also, JABBA just seems like bloatware. I already have Mek Bins, Factorization barrels, DSUs, etc.

Reactions: kaovalin

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Last time I tried it, it was.

Regardless, I like how Fact. barrels look over JABBA, esp. how they adapt the wood texture. And also, JABBA just seems like bloatware. I already have Mek Bins, Factorization barrels, DSUs, etc.
You must have tried them a while ago. Each JABBA barrel tier can even be changed in appearance now(in a config mind you). They have tons more uses then almost everything else on he market, and upgrades cost a shit ton less, upgrades have been split into "structural upgrades" and "function upgrades", and the latter includes storage upgrades. Every tier of structural upgrade allows for more "functional upgrades" then the previous tiers(wood adds 1, stone 2, next IIRC added 5, etc etc), and no "structural upgrade" costs more then some fences and the material of that tier, so stone costs stone, iron some iron, endstone some endstone, and all of this is just 4 of that and 4 fences.

It's one thing to have well formed opinions on a subject, it's another to have well formed opinions on a subject that do not reflect actual knowledge on the subject.

Reactions: Not_Steve

BunnyVulture

Jul 29, 2019
Back in 1.4.7 I used a big wall of Barrels with diamond sorting pipes and Project tables for crafting high repeat items. Now i'm a heavy AE user just to make things easier storage wise. I use storage monitors to see what my stock is on certain items. I like how I can link into almost all of my machines/items with it.

thekolo

Jul 29, 2019
I am a big fan of barrels and routers. Routers will rout items that enter into it into any applicable inventory. It will also treat all attached inventories as one. This way you can have a wall of barrels that display everything you have. Priviously getting the router to work right was a bit of a pain because it could only hold one item at a time. BC pipes just spit extra things out on the floor while logistic pipes, pneumatic tubes, and item ducts send them back through the system. However, pipes from extra utilities are just right for a router system. It is cheap to set up and it looks pretty cool in action.

budge

Jul 29, 2019
I really prefer to see things in pipes as well, but every time I go with a pipes or tubes setup my base ends up becoming a video-card-eating lag monster. I tend to stick with AE now just for playability. The portability is nice for moving bases, too. Shove everything into 10 disks and carry your entire collection in one trip.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
You must have tried them a while ago. Each JABBA barrel tier can even be changed in appearance now(in a config mind you). They have tons more uses then almost everything else on he market, and upgrades cost a shit ton less, upgrades have been split into "structural upgrades" and "function upgrades", and the latter includes storage upgrades. Every tier of structural upgrade allows for more "functional upgrades" then the previous tiers(wood adds 1, stone 2, next IIRC added 5, etc etc), and no "structural upgrade" costs more then some fences and the material of that tier, so stone costs stone, iron some iron, endstone some endstone, and all of this is just 4 of that and 4 fences.

It's one thing to have well formed opinions on a subject, it's another to have well formed opinions on a subject that do not reflect actual knowledge on the subject.
I believe I last tried them in a test version of Monster from Feb. so yeah, I bet they have changed. I still don't really care for them. Barrels don't need to be complicated, just plop em down and put stuff in them.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
From order of Early to Late game, here are my sorting/storage choices:
Vanilla Double Chests
Upgrade to Iron Chests
Hook up to ExtraUtils sorting
Get started with AE
Hook up storage buses to all my chests
Get many 4-16k Drives
Move out of chests

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I believe I last tried them in a test version of Monster from Feb. so yeah, I bet they have changed. I still don't really care for them. Barrels don't need to be complicated, just plop em down and put stuff in them.
I hold a similar opinion, they don't need to be complicated. I however realize that adding functionality that was not present is always nice and often better then simplicity, and that things shouldn't be too cheap or too expensive for the benefits, even if these two factors are not defined beyond a personal level.

Reactions: Not_Steve

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Only two things tempted me to get JABBA, the unifing aspect wherein oredict enabled stuff will join into a barrel and become that type. And you can I/O from all sides. Though stuff I generally end up keeping in barrels once I go to AE will become a DSU or potentially a Mek bin (have not played with those yet). I just cant see adding redundancy to my modpack in that fashion.

Reactions: YX33A