How do you sort/store your stuff (Monster)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Nephrahim

Jul 29, 2019
Inspired by this topic: http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/how-do-you-gather-resources-monster.42789/

There's a variety of different methods of storing things, both in the early and late games. I think the most advanced I ever managed was some diamond pipes sorting to a few diamond chests, but I assume everyone has much neater set ups then that.

I'm especially interested if there are any early sorting set ups people use before they have access to things like item tesseracts and routers.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
I got a taste of AE once, and that's all I ever needed from a sorting system.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
AE is great, don't get me wrong, but I don't count it as a "sorting system" per se. It's designed to give you access to all your items from one block, as well as autocrafting capabilities. Logistics pipes is the way you go if you want sorting.

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
AE is great, don't get me wrong, but I don't count it as a "sorting system" per se. It's designed to give you access to all your items from one block, as well as autocrafting capabilities. Logistics pipes is the way you go if you want sorting.

You can format drives to take specific items, set priorities so items go to specific places, have all other items go to a few AE chests so you can figure out where they should be sorted, send certain items to other subnetworks, etc, etc, etc.

AE is very much a sorting system if you choose (like me) to use it as one.

vertagen

Jul 29, 2019
Nobody mentioned Early Te3, it requires only few piece of redstone iron, glass and lead.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Walls full of Better Barrels from JABBA, maybe piped in from behind. Match this with walls full of Drums, maybe pumped in from behind.

Maybe one day replace all this with AE and replace those walls of barrels with storage monitors upgraded with that thingy, and some way of checking my fluid levels in my AE Network.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I don't sort - I search.
i_hug_that_feel.png

What I described is what I end up doing once I'm invested in a map. Otherwise it's walls of chest(or strongboxes, or iron chests) with little or no rhyme or reason what goes where.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Hand sorted diamond chests and itemDuct sorted barrels.

If I decide to get far enough along in tech: LP sorting Diamond chests/barrels/DSUs and an AE default route for things that are full/don't have a home.

kaovalin

Jul 29, 2019
Vanilla chests burried in my floor checkboard style like a vanilla boss! Seriously though, AE is more of a storage system than sorting unless you take the time to format drives. I shouldve given Logistics pipes a chance before I started on AE because now I dont think I'll transition to it ever.

In the short run you can start with a simple TE3 item duct network as mentioned. Its easy to get into, especially if you make opaque pipes.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I think I might be alone on this one, but uh, Railcraft...

I like having a big room filled with Diamond Chests and Factorization Barrels (I don't like JABBA). The barrels are for things like Dirt, Cobblestone, and other things I get in the masses. The Diamond Chests are for general storage.

Now onto sorting, and Railcraft. You can use Item Unloaders to sort items, and then if the sorting room is also not the storage room, I'll use pipes to route everything. Usually, though, I have the unloaders and chests adjacent, so I don't have to deal with pipes.

I am probably the 0.0002% here, but I strongly dislike AE.

Reactions: Padfoote

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Now I must ask...why?
For me, it's too easy. It completely and comprehensively solves the storage problem with no options for creativity, and no challenge whatsoever apart from gathering the resources and making four or five little machines. I'm a little less averse to it than I was at first, as there are some tools in the box for doing creative and sophisticated stuff, but even those basically boil down to various configurations of level emitters.

In my current world (MF2 plus a few extra mods), I might go with a "No MAC" solution, an do all my autocrafting with Cyclic Assemblers and put the patterns in ME Interfaces. Currently I'm using Steve's Factory Manager for a small amount of auto-crafting. I have a pressure plate that fills a specific slot on my action bar with torches whenever I step on it, which is a great time-saver.

Last edited:

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Now I must ask...why?
It's kind of hard to explain, but I think I've done it enough that I might have a straight answer for once.

There's actually a few reasons.
  • I prefer seeing everything moving around, like carts.
  • I feel it really takes the "sorting" out of it, which is something I enjoy building.
  • It's too easy. I'm not talking balance, I'm talking ease. It's actually fairly balanced in terms of expense, because it is a truly powerful mod. But, being able to plop down a few blocks, shove a few storage discs into one of them, and then having tons of storage space just seems... I dunno, too simple.
  • The autocrafting is, um, boring. I don't even autocraft very often, it's usually something that requires a ton of steps, but I have to do it a ton (1.5 and before I would always autocraft Carbon Plates and Advanced Alloys from IC2). Like I said before, I prefer seeing everything moving around and doing things.
Mostly, it's just boring. I find everything about it to be dull.

E: And I understand that it is very powerful, and quite cool. It's just not my thing.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I use chests until I have 3 or more stacks od something, then it goes into a barrel... This is cheap when you live in a Natura Redwood :D

Staxed

Jul 29, 2019
For me, it's too easy. It completely and comprehensively solves the storage problem with no options for creativity, and no challenge whatsoever apart from gathering the resources and making four or five little machines. I'm a little less averse to it than I was at first, as there are some tools in the box for doing creative and sophisticated stuff, but even those basically boil down to various configurations of level emitters.

In my current world (MF2 plus a few extra mods), I might go with a "No MAC" solution, an do all my autocrafting with Cyclic Assemblers and put the patterns in ME Interfaces. Currently I'm using Steve's Factory Manager for a small amount of auto-crafting. I have a pressure plate that fills a specific slot on my action bar with torches whenever I step on it, which is a great time-saver.
It's kind of hard to explain, but I think I've done it enough that I might have a straight answer for once.

There's actually a few reasons.
  • I prefer seeing everything moving around, like carts.
  • I feel it really takes the "sorting" out of it, which is something I enjoy building.
  • It's too easy. I'm not talking balance, I'm talking ease. It's actually fairly balanced in terms of expense, because it is a truly powerful mod. But, being able to plop down a few blocks, shove a few storage discs into one of them, and then having tons of storage space just seems... I dunno, too simple.
  • The autocrafting is, um, boring. I don't even autocraft very often, it's usually something that requires a ton of steps, but I have to do it a ton (1.5 and before I would always autocraft Carbon Plates and Advanced Alloys from IC2). Like I said before, I prefer seeing everything moving around and doing things.
Mostly, it's just boring. I find everything about it to be dull.

E: And I understand that it is very powerful, and quite cool. It's just not my thing.

Guess to each their own here :). Totally understand where you are coming from with your play styles, as the reasons you've said are pretty much the exact reasons I love it.

I like to see how much I actually CAN do with it, specially when you have to figure out the most efficient way of setting up long autocrafting recipes that require extra machines, other than just a MAC recipe, subnetworks to process specific things while still connecting to the main network, etc.

I also force myself to use sorting, drive priority, etc. If you put enough thought into, it can turn into a really awesome sorting system, granted...I guess the majority of people choose not to do that :).