How do you organize your bases?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I have a slight problem... I'm kinda anal about building a base where my rooms have a purpose (whilst feebly trying to make the thing look good), and it's rapidly burning away my enjoyment for playing. I've had this problem before, and what usually happens is I ragequit and stop playing for a few months :(

My current setup (would've taken pictures, but currently there's not much to see, really. Just a jumbled mess from me trying something, then regretting the decision and do it all over again.) is basically a modular setup, with a huge central powerplant witha machineroom in front, with tunnels leading off to the left and right for forestry areas and storage area respectively. The concept is kinda Balamb Garden (FFVIII) - ish, obviously without the fancy finish.

Of course, now I'm having second thoughts about the whole thing (mainly because the machine room seems to become a giant mess of different machines), and want to tear it all down and start over (que subsequent ragequit).

Am I crazy? Anyone else feel the same way? How do you set up your bases? Any tips for a slightly OCD gentleman? :p Feel free to post anything!

ManaaniWanderer

Jul 29, 2019
Before my server got hungry and decided to eat some but not all instances of several blocks when updating my modpack my base was a long hallway with a tower power plant at the end and rooms leading off of it for various purposes with those that would need power or support the power plant closer to the tower. On this new on I'm going to modify the desgin with a larger central tower and four smaller towers at the cardinal direction along the perimeter of a large circle. The current plan is for one the perimeter towers is one for villagers, one for power generation, one as the grandiose main entrance, and one with my Mystcraft/Thaumcraft/other magicy stuffs in it. The main central tower will have the sorting system in its basement, along with auto smelting and pulverizing equipment with the second floor containing my storage and work rooms.

lzzvq

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I just put all my stuff in the same room. I have a roughly square room with one corner that has thermal expansion machines along with a blast furnace and coke oven, and opposite that is my twilight forest portal, Iblast furnace, Igrinder, and storage, with thaumcraft items in the middle of the wall. in the opposite corner of the same wall as TE stuff i have solar panels and mfsu's powering IC2 machines

CapturetheBomb

Jul 29, 2019
Modular rooms (9x9 inside) with a basement power room. This time I opted to build into a mountain. Power runs under the floors. Easy to set up. Storage room is set up like direwolf's.

If you couldn't tell, I like his set up.

Zmaster27

Jul 29, 2019
I just have different floors/buildings in rare cases for different things
Basement Machines and processing
Main level Living facilities
Top floor Magic room

shanebassist

Jul 29, 2019
I make it as difficult as possible by building practically a different building for each set of things I'm doing. IE mage tower with a huge jar room at the bottom for golem sorting, big grandiose factory for all my thermal expansion/buildcraft. Small workshed for little bits of ic2 and another factory for gregtech. I went with etho's honeycomb setup for the bees. Gives me something to build with all those resources I keep getting.

ItharianEngineering

Jul 29, 2019
I have rooms that vary in size. Each one I setup for a specific need. I have a core power room under my base, a storage room that is in the heart of the main floor, a machine room that is divided into small sections for the different types of mods (TE, Forestry, IC2), and a sorting room under my storage room that moves things where they need to be. There is also a liquid area that is placed dependent on the world I am in, currently I have it as part of the power room. Thaumcraft/magic is in a dedicated age to to prevent flux gathering in my overworld, and I like the effect. Agriculture is also in a dedicated age with accelerated for more random ticks to speed the processes up. Most other things get there own module-type area as needed. The hardest part is deciding on the amount of room to use for each area. So far I have learned that a bigger room is almost always better, with exception to sizes that creates a lot of floor space that is awkward to use in most situations.

Pretty much whenever I create a mess of my base I just dismantle it and move. I have done it 3 times now and it has been good. I think this setup might be working for me, so I might keep it for a while. A lot of my problem was that I would try to fix my old base but it just wasn't setup how I needed it to be and salvaging it would have just been a mess, so moving was simpler.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I pick a theme and run with it. But normaly I like to have clusters of rooms. Storage needs to be next to machines and that needs to be next to power. But over I like to plan things out frist in most cases and build around my theme.

Also yeah your not crazy. I get tied of a base I move take all my stuff or not and just go build new base elsewhere with a new theme.

Azhrael

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to let mine grow organically, carving out rooms as I need them and following natural spaces in the rock (sections of cave, void left behind by clearing out a pocket of gravel, underground lakes, and so forth). Every time I try and actually plan out a layout, I get so caught up in designing that I never get around to actually building it, and I find they actually turn out a lot more asthetically pleasing this way, if sometimes cramped and labyrinthine.

And yes, I tend to build down and in rather than up and out. :D I've never been able to shake my dwarf fortress roots.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
I greatly enjoy the tower approach. radius 10 or so circular rooms (square is probably more space efficient, but I like round rooms) stacked on each other with a headspace of 6 or 7 blocks. Ladders connecting all floors. If a room requires auxiliary space for machines, windmills, outdoor bees, nuke plants, farms, then I will build a smaller, separate room that shoots off the side.
currently looks like this:
20130131041930.jpg

meh... just realized I need to make another wind turbine. Ah well, the mini tower coming off the side is agriculture and has tons of flax in addition to the flax outside

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Nice Tower.

So far my current design approach is a house, and then carve into the landscape with everything hidden away, with perhaps some mini buildings surrounding the house if required.

At the moment I a house poking out the side of the mountain, and I'm slowly hollowing out that mountain for everything I build. From the outside, all you can see is the house, and a tree farm on the top of the mountain.