How do you like mods to be balanced?

What is the best method for getting powerful and expensive items?

• Huge number of resources to craft it

• Many crafting steps so it takes ages with the materials

• A research or discovery system before you can craft the item

• Easy once you have a lot of infra-structure

• Other (Put in forum post)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
I had an idea for a pack that removed the ability to fly easily. (I codenamed it "Grounded") But making a pack without flying is difficult as so many major mods add flying items.
If you want something for the pack so you can make it so its not completely no flying, theres a mod I have just for myself that allows me to "blacklist" flight on certain dimensions similar to how Thaumcraft does it with the Outerlands. I currently have mine setup so their is no flight in the Twilight Forest.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not a fan of flight (except for when I'm filling out a map, then I just go to creative mode), since I do think it discourages infrastructure a bit. In an Extreme Hills biome near a giant cliff between you and a village? Better tunnel through it and build a road or a rail line too, if you don't want to go through half of your food every trip. Or, make a jetpack.

What I find helps me is carrying a satchel/knapsack/backpack (depending on what mod) full of cobblestone and a crafting table. This way I have materials to mark out a path as I go and to make stairs or slabs when I need. Then later on I can actually make the road out of whatever I want and replace the cobble.

Oh I NEED flight, it makes building epic structures do-able in survival. Besides, after playing modded for so long, jetpack-style flight is something I am accustomed to. Doing without would suck as bad as mining one block at a time or having to pillar up to chop down tall trees.

RamblinWreckGT

Jul 29, 2019
Oh I NEED flight, it makes building epic structures do-able in survival. Besides, after playing modded for so long, jetpack-style flight is something I am accustomed to. Doing without would suck as bad as mining one block at a time or having to pillar up to chop down tall trees.
Okay, yeah, flight is pretty fantastic for building. And it does have its moments for me; I'll go through phases where I want the "I AM A GOD NOW" feeling I got when I made my first quantum suit back in Ultimate and phases where I want stuff closer to vanilla (love the Traveler's Gear from TiC for those times).

I definitely get the not being able to live without something, though. I'm that way with chopping down trees (always Treecapitator or TiC and fast leaf decay), inventory sorting, and redstone (red alloy wire has me spoiled).

Reactions: RedBoss

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
What do you recon could help building if flying hypothetically wasn't an option though?
If I had things like quick setup mobile scissor lifts, hanging cages or even absail rope that allowed for suspended block placement I think I could live without flight. Maybe even remote viewing cameras, maybe drone mounted surveyors.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, while scaffolding resolves the lost reach flight provides, flights real appeal is the ability to asses what you have done to see whether it looks cool as a whole. You can kind of do it with scaffolds but that requires you to treck back 50 blocks and then to build an equally tall scaffold tower. You'd have to do this for every angle you want to look from too.
That's way too cumbersome, whacking on a jetpack and giving the build a circle is much more convenient.

You could make the drone like EIO, too bad we don't have spectator mode code in 1.7.

I would actually like to see a scissor lift in MC though.

Reactions: RedBoss