How do you light your base?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
I use square grid (every 64 blocks) of magnum torches at level 45 around my main areas, which allows me not to worry too much about lighting up to level 90 and make really efficient mob farms. It could be cheaper in a triangle grid, but I would probably mess it up.
What is the range on those magnum torches exactly? is it a radius of 64, making the diameter of the no-spawn zone 128 ish, or is it a 64x64 area around the torch?

Also, what about the shape? is it square? There are so little information about this thing...

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
What is the range on those magnum torches exactly? is it a radius of 64, making the diameter of the no-spawn zone 128 ish, or is it a 64x64 area around the torch?

Also, what about the shape? is it square? There are so little information about this thing...

It is sphere with radius of 64 blocks, so a square grid every 64 blocks prevents spawning in every block which is closer on Y axis then sqrt(2)*32 = 45 blocks from it.

Dmyster

Jul 29, 2019
I really enjoy wraith lamps !! They may not be the best in terms of lag and invisible block lag but I like the look of them and the range they have! Besides they have a cool effect inside!

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
I really enjoy wraith lamps !! They may not be the best in terms of lag and invisible block lag but I like the look of them and the range they have! Besides they have a cool effect inside!
Just watch out when you want to build tanks and have the same area lit by WLs already. Its invisible lightblocks can cause problems with the "Am I a working multiblock structure, yet?" functions of RailCraft/XyCraft tanks.

FMan_0000

Jul 29, 2019
I light up my base with netherrack. Too bad my base is made out of wood
2013_07_29_15_11_43.png

Someguy

Jul 29, 2019
I miss the RP2 inverted lamps. They were smooth, had a tech-y look to them, and you could have any colour you wanted. I'm surprised no other mod has anything comparable... Anyone know of anything like that?

As for the IC2 illuminators, the one time I tried them, which was a few months ago, they flickered constantly... drove me nuts and I got rid of them. Either I was doing something wrong, or it was a problem that has since been fixed. Maybe I'll retry.

As for the floodlights from Gregs lighting, do those suffer from the same problem as wrath lamps, ie: invisible air blocks that mess with Xycraft tanks, crops, and who knows what else?

apemanzilla

Jul 29, 2019
I miss the RP2 inverted lamps. They were smooth, had a tech-y look to them, and you could have any colour you wanted. I'm surprised no other mod has anything comparable... Anyone know of anything like that?

As for the IC2 illuminators, the one time I tried them, which was a few months ago, they flickered constantly... drove me nuts and I got rid of them. Either I was doing something wrong, or it was a problem that has since been fixed. Maybe I'll retry.

As for the floodlights from Gregs lighting, do those suffer from the same problem as wrath lamps, ie: invisible air blocks that mess with Xycraft tanks, crops, and who knows what else?
You probably needed more power, maybe the energy loss was too high.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I made all the ceilings in my base out of glowstone bricks. They have the maximum light level and they look nice. Pretty easy to make, used quite a bit of glowstone, though.

FMan_0000

Jul 29, 2019
I feel retard for not using lux capacitors. Why they're so awesome? They're just squares of light