How Do You Find the Will to Keep Going?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dezz

Jul 13, 2013
Sometimes I will open this game and realize that I am simply working towards larger and larger numbers that don't really mean anything, or working towards the end-game of a mod to realize that once I get there, there is nothing left to do.

How do you guys keep playing after realizing this? I am curious because it happens on all of my play throughs at some point. I am surprised it hasn't happened to me yet on my current world, probably because I am not taking the easiest routes to progress (i.e, not doing lava energy even though it would be far more efficient than my steam setup right now).

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
The same way people keep going in vanilla minecraft. The best way to keep playing minecraft, modded or vanilla, is to work on a fancy project. Play the role of an artist who is trying to create a work of art, like a painting or a statue, except, the work of art can be a giant castle, a temple complex, or even something functional in game, like an ideal manual crafting room or a mobfarm. But make it fancy, with unique functions that you thought of yourself.

Indeed, if all you do is try to reach the endgame, then once you reach it, there is nothing left to do. But that's OK too, Some people just complete all the quest in a quest based modpack, and then move to the next modpack, or play through it again from the start.

That said, If you are getting bored with a modpack, or even minecraft in general, there is nothing wrong with doing something else for a while.
I've been playing Factorio recently. Then when I get bored with that game, I go back to minecraft.

Reactions: rhn and PierceSG

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I just delete my world and start over if I get a new idea to try... I still have the End to look forward to after 3 years :D

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
my method is :
create tons and tons of modpacks using the curse client and test and play around create pretty stuff and leavd to make another pack

sent from a phone using tapatalk.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
You've discovered the real frustration of Modded Minecraft. You get the numbers ticking up, and eventually realize you're stuck in the base, watching numbers. That's one of the reasons I've abandoned teleportation solutions. Trains continually mess up, and so I continually have to fix them, and so I never get a chance to become stuck in the base. Plus as I'm laying rail, both the actual crafting and putting it into place, and the construction of the railbed, I'm using the materials I've generated, which gives me reason to go out and try to acquire more.

Reactions: Inaeo

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Always a new mod pack to try :) that and it's good mind numbing entertainment after a day of getting your ass kicked at work (and I mean literally)

T

TheDeviantOne

It's hard to say, since everyone is playing for another reason. I myself like to build both a nice residence and an efficient machine setup. It takes a lot of time getting it to look fancy. So I never really get bored. Even when I do I just take a break and do some other things for a while.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
How do you guys keep playing after realizing this? I am curious because it happens on all of my play throughs at some point.
Early on with modded Minecraft, I just started a new world. Now I tend to take longer breaks, and play other games. A time or two I thought I finally was burned out on Minecraft, but eventually started a new world and got hooked again, for a while.

A problem for me with MC that seems to get worse as time passes, is that there is typically not much skill involved, only knowledge and time.

It's not like (for example) a racing game, where you more can perform better or worse. Things feel much more binary for me in MC (I'm not an aesthetic builder). Once I get passed the stage of getting the systems up and running (which is fun), and perhaps finishing some bigger goal (large reactor, getting a specific bee, etc), it's basically over for that run.

Reactions: asb3pe

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
How do you guys keep playing after realizing this?
I don't. I'm a tech player, not a builder, so techers will recognize the bind I'm in at this point. Once I've run out of bigger numbers to achieve, or ways to achieve them, I give up. I play another pack or start from scratch with (hopefully) new technical objectives.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
I'm with pyure. Between new objectives, finding ways to change circumstances of where/how to transport things in either simpler methods or in my current world more convoluted and just pure downright "why the hell not" tech builds.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I've never quite been able to be a pure tech player. After a while, being trapped in my base, watching numbers tick up starts to annoy me. I always have to go out and build something or I go stir crazy. I'm not a terribly creative builder, but I don't have an issue with that. I just enjoy the process of building things.

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I tend to have that kind of problems too, ending up loosing the motivation to play a pack.

In general, what keeps me going before this eventually happens is trying to automate all kinds of things, using as many different mods as possible !

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Seeing as my life is generally chaotic and thus free time is always just out of reach and my attention span rivals that of a meth'd up gerbil, I find myself always with literally dozens of projects in progress at any given time in any world I play. Without fail, I bite off more than I can actually accomplish, but I spend the entirety of my play-through working to achieve the impossible until either a server reset or irretrievable save corruption. Then, it's usually a small break where inspiration tugs at me until I boot MC back up and start over.

In the end, Minecraft is the one positive creative outlet I consistently have available to me, and I need that. So I carry on...

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Sometimes I will open this game and realize that I am simply working towards larger and larger numbers that don't really mean anything, or working towards the end-game of a mod to realize that once I get there, there is nothing left to do.

How do you guys keep playing after realizing this? I am curious because it happens on all of my play throughs at some point. I am surprised it hasn't happened to me yet on my current world, probably because I am not taking the easiest routes to progress (i.e, not doing lava energy even though it would be far more efficient than my steam setup right now).

I'm having trouble keeping my interest in this game. Nothing seems "new and interesting" to me anymore. I guess its "game burnout" or something. I've played thousands upon thousands of hours of modded Minecraft in the past few years since I bought the game, and while those were perhaps the best gaming hours of my entire long life, the game just seems dull and uninteresting to me nowadays. It's as if I've seen it all and done it all, even tho I haven't. But every time I try out a new modpack, it seems like the same old thing all over again, even tho there are plenty of new mods coming out all the time.

I dunno how that helps in response to your post, but I figure I might as well chime in with my own experience. I open the game to play, only to find I really don't have the interest to play a new modpack and begin the whole grind again. After you've gone thru the Thaumcraft "tech tree" yet again (is this the 9th time, or the 12th?), how can it NOT get boring?

Reactions: SolManX

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
After awhile, I tend to set Thaumcraft to easy mode and just buy the things I want, because I often don't want all the things.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having trouble keeping my interest in this game. Nothing seems "new and interesting" to me anymore. I guess its "game burnout" or something. I've played thousands upon thousands of hours of modded Minecraft in the past few years since I bought the game, and while those were perhaps the best gaming hours of my entire long life, the game just seems dull and uninteresting to me nowadays. It's as if I've seen it all and done it all, even tho I haven't. But every time I try out a new modpack, it seems like the same old thing all over again, even tho there are plenty of new mods coming out all the time.

I dunno how that helps in response to your post, but I figure I might as well chime in with my own experience. I open the game to play, only to find I really don't have the interest to play a new modpack and begin the whole grind again. After you've gone thru the Thaumcraft "tech tree" yet again (is this the 9th time, or the 12th?), how can it NOT get boring?

Yeah know what you mean about Thaumcraft - I only ever want the boots anyway (and maybe a couple of other things).

Have you tried Terrafirmacraft? It's such a different experience, it's definitely worth a try.

pAznik

Jul 29, 2019
I usually play packs that have quests, so when time come that i don't know what to do, i start to work on quests, this also give me opportunity to try and learn different mods, because to be honest i usually play and do the same thing over and over again. But the pack must be made in a way so that quests are not the only way to play Minecraft.