How do YOU choose what world you want to build in?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

ThorinNL

Jul 29, 2019
Do you guys use any sort of teleporting with waypoints with opis or anything like that or keep it to walking etc?

No, not for me at least. Once I've found my place to build, I lose my "creative powers" and become depended on whatever the mod's I chose have to offer for traveling.

I like the journey sometimes more than the destination.

Reactions: MigukNamja

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
i give a nice long complicated seed, cos that helps in my mind, then switch to creative and fly around till i find a nice spot... this time i chose a mountain in a magical forest cos i'm building my first underground base. well it was underground but i've dug to bedrock so now have a tower coming up out of the mountain. 13 diameter shaft from bedrock to 128;]

and yes my shift keys are broken...

Iluvalar

Jul 29, 2019
It has to be flush with the terrain, or at least take advantage of it. For example, a treehouse in a Greatwood. Resources are a good advantage too, but I'd rather look good than have wires and pipes going all over the place and look completely unprofessional.
I beg to differ, I feel professionnal when I actualy have a floor well aligned and flat all made up of machines and pipes in such a way I dont even need an actual floor while still being able to access everything. But hey ! This is a mater of taste.

I build on the border of a magical forest, on a flat ground where 2 biomes meet.

Reactions: Nisteth and Tylor

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
For bees: the meeting place of plains, jungle, desert and a "normal" biome.
For emeralds and general foreboding: extreme hills, then I make a nice hill fort.
Having plains nearby helps for harvesting essence seeds early on.

Magical forests are also a fantastic place to start. In my current world, Bloke towers is on an artificial hill in the middle of a clearing I hacked out of a magical forest with my bare hands lumber axe. It looks GRATE :D

Completely agree. In the overworld, for bees and trees, you're set if your base can chunkload a jungle, desert, and a "normal" at the same time. Bonus points if near Extreme Hills or similar for emeralds. Gathering seeds and bees and Thaumcraft nodes will require lots of wandering anyways, so I don't prioritize trying to have a base near things I need to gather. And, I always have some kind of teleportation mod in the world, so no worries being near a village or not.

For pure aesthetics (bees and trees aside), I try to avoid plains. Sure, it makes base-building easy, but I'm not creative enough to make an awesome-looking base from scratch in that. Rather, I prefer mountainous terrain and build my base into the side of the terrain. This gives me extra incentive to get flying sooner rather than later.[DOUBLEPOST=1408554832][/DOUBLEPOST]
Do you guys use any sort of teleporting with waypoints with opis or anything like that or keep it to walking etc?

Sometimes yes, sometimes, no, depending upon my self-imposed rules.

Reactions: Bigpak

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I just love building so I think as long as it is easy to clear out if needed(not too many caves) and the fog distance also effects where build because well you need to see

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
*sigh* I keep making worlds getting to a certain point and get off for the night and the next day I just want to make a new world. I get to a tinkers construct smeltery and get a steel hammer and pickaxe and I just keep deleting my worlds :c. I haven't been inspired by the world generation much in these last two worlds. Quagmire biomes. Ugh.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
*sigh* I keep making worlds getting to a certain point and get off for the night and the next day I just want to make a new world. I get to a tinkers construct smeltery and get a steel hammer and pickaxe and I just keep deleting my worlds :c. I haven't been inspired by the world generation much in these last two worlds. Quagmire biomes. Ugh.
Yep, I know just how you feel. I'm on 1.6.4 until 1.7 gets it's act together. I haven't been able to find a good map to start again with on 1.6 in about a month now. Last weekend on 1.7 BTP I wandered around for about 20 minutes, found an awesome savanna plateau and started the beginnings of castle scarecrow right on top of and into the plateau.

So, on a game that I have no desire to play, I find a good map. But on my main play pack, noooo o_O

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
I keep on creating new worlds until I find one that has "cool" scenery. Such as a mountain that is perfect for a dwarf fortress.