How do YOU choose what world you want to build in?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
How do you yourself choose what world you want to build and start in? What affects it? What biomes? What type of landscape/terrain generation do you prefer (Not actual terrain generators but the way it is formed.) Is there a certain type of layout you would want for certain builds?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
All I need is a 13 block diameter Natura Redwood tree... Structures (village, temples, etc,) nearby are a plus but unnecessary.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Do you have any screenshots of what your base usually looks like in a redwood tree? :3

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
It will depend on what I've done and lived in recently. I normally pick an area that's a bit different than the last area I occupied. It also depends on the mod pack. In packs like Magic Farm, I will settle somewhere that is relatively close to multiple biomes and to a nice foraging food supply as it will take some time to get your first farms going. I like bees, so will normally look for areas that have plains/forests near desert and tiaga. Occasionally, I can find a spot that all 3 meet up to build my bee habitat. Sometimes I just kinda wander around until I stumble upon a nice area that has a nice view, and build my house there.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
For bees: the meeting place of plains, jungle, desert and a "normal" biome.
For emeralds and general foreboding: extreme hills, then I make a nice hill fort.
Having plains nearby helps for harvesting essence seeds early on.

Magical forests are also a fantastic place to start. In my current world, Bloke towers is on an artificial hill in the middle of a clearing I hacked out of a magical forest with my bare hands lumber axe. It looks GRATE :D

ThorinNL

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to go in creative, for flying, and fly a rough circle around my spawn point. Just to see if there are any interesting views (like a beach with a mountain close by or a river/sea front) or a plain with multiple other biomes close together.

But I can say that Jungle, desert or anything snow related is not the place where I will build in.
And preferable not having any village too close by, otherwise they end up empty because of zombies.

eliandarkbrood

Jul 29, 2019
Depends on what i am wanting to build as a base. My latest project is a giant wooden cabin like template, so i am in the middle of the jungle. Most of the time, i find something i like and go.from there. Last time i found a beautiful view from an icy mountain top. Desert on one side, plains on another and ocean on a third. I made a HUGE ice castle on top of the mountain. A lot of oil in desert, farmland floating on the ocean, and was in the process of a magic workshop in the plains... when my desktop motherboard went bad...

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
If Thaumracft is on, somewhere with lots of nodes. If Forestry is on and you plan to bee, on the edge of biomes. Otherwise, just anything flat , preferrably with a cow herd nearby.
And avoid jungles - they are laggy.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
For me I usually start in the ground, or a small shack just to keep safe in the night.

As always I try and get wood, food, iron, and coal as fast as possible. I try not to over burden myself to much, but always do lol.

Once I get enough to safely travel I usually try to find a mountain with a good view. Any other type of area that stimulates my creative side will work to. Then I build an epic towering base from hell. Then I put lava in the biomes all around me and burn it. Just kidding ^-^

psp

Jul 29, 2019
I usually just place chests and random stuff that has to do what ever im working on all over the ground until im spread out over a couple hundred blocks with no lighting.
Smart ha!

Nisteth

Jul 29, 2019
It has to be flush with the terrain, or at least take advantage of it. For example, a treehouse in a Greatwood. Resources are a good advantage too, but I'd rather look good than have wires and pipes going all over the place and look completely unprofessional.

pizzawolf14

Jul 29, 2019
My latest quirk with new worlds (servers, giving SMP another chance) is politely requesting that I get teleported to a random place and build there, no matter what it is. I'm trying to get away from my traditional styles that get a tad boring after a while.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Some options I like:
1. (In SSP) Settle at exactly 0:0. Helps with navigation.
2. (In SMP) Pick a direction and travel until I collect all the necessary early game stuff - cacti, sugarcane, saplings, etc. Then I settle down wherever I come to.

Last edited:
Reactions: asb3pe

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Do you have any screenshots of what your base usually looks like in a redwood tree? :3

I just started a new "Unstable" world with my current standard tree build. I'll get a few screenies and edit this post to add them.

Screenshots:
Outside view: The door is open because it's bade of Redwood bark, which is described as "camouflaged", meaning mobs don't see it as a door. No midnight knocking here.
Open-door-policy.png

Ground floor view... Just the bare necessities. I hollow out 3 blocks high, and also remove extra bark on each side of the long walls. This gets me about 2 1/2 stacks of redwood and 26 barks, including the doorway. I usually half-slab the ceiling to keep Endermen away on rainy nights :D
Ground%20floor.png

I built my basement at level 50, hollowing around the roots to create an antechamber. I have room for a couple of floors between here and ground level if needed. I can also build up from Ground if I need extra room or wood. You can see the Smeltery straight ahead. There's a garden to the left, storage to the right. My mining hall is to the rear.
Level%2050.png

Garden
Garden.png

Storage
Storage.png

Left side of mining hall. Openings under torches are for stairway shafts.
Mining%20hall%20left.png

Right side of hall. The opening at the far end on the right was for a Turtle quarry, until I found that Turtles aren't in Unstable (yet) :D
Mining%20hall%20right.png

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
In FTB, I really don't worry about where I start out in the world, with one exception - I must have clay, because my play style requires Tinkers Construct to be the very first thing I do. TiCo grout requires clay, can't do anything without it. So all I really do is scout around the swamps and shallows for clay, or better yet, that nice Badlands Biomes O'Plenty with the colored clay blocks.

The reason it doesn't matter in FTB is because my early base is always a temporary base - once I get my ModularPowerSuit built, I can pack all my stuff onto my AE hard drives and fly off to create a permanent home in a scenic spot. There's no need to "find the perfect place" during those first few minutes in a new world. By the time I *AM* ready to find that perfect place, I've generally done enough exploring to give me a very large selection of places to choose from.

Bigpak

Jul 29, 2019
Do you guys use any sort of teleporting with waypoints with opis or anything like that or keep it to walking etc?