How do I aesthetics?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
I just can't seem to make anything that looks good, let me start off by saying I've been playing minecraft for, well since whenever 1.3.1 came out. however I just can't seem to make anything that looks good. It all turns out to be some stacked structure in a mountain that looks awful or if its in the open it kind of resembles the weasley house from HP.

How do you guys do it?

(weasley house for reference)
Theburrowlongshot.jpg

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Well, a good first lesson is to have an idea of what you want it to look like. A good second step is to check what blocks you have that look like that, and finally, build it and hope for the best.

And honestly? The Weasley House has some serious charm to it. Designed correctly, one could even make a good knock-off version of it in game. Would likely need Microblocks and Carpenters Blocks, but those are your staples to making things look pretty good IMO.

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Well, a good first lesson is to have an idea of what you want it to look like. A good second step is to check what blocks you have that look like that, and finally, build it and hope for the best.

And honestly? The Weasley House has some serious charm to it. Designed correctly, one could even make a good knock-off version of it in game. Would likely need Microblocks and Carpenters Blocks, but those are your staples to making things look pretty good IMO.

hah yeah, that would be a good idea honestly. Though the inside might get a bit cramped. Are there any blocks that are capable of say making something bigger on the inside. I was thinking of something like the dimensional doors mod but a bit more in worldy.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I don't think anyone has made a "bigger on the inside" mod yet, likely due to the difficulty of working non-euclidean physics into a game like Minecraft.

But a good choice for making the space work despite the lack of space would be AE and it's spacial storage cells. They can store actual places, blocks and all, in cells. Minecraft is super cool at times.

Loxinnightwalker

Jul 29, 2019
As said before, make a plan, and see what you have to work with. I sometimes have what I call builders block, but I just make a world just for building and go to town! :D

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I don't think anyone has made a "bigger on the inside" mod yet, likely due to the difficulty of working non-euclidean physics into a game like Minecraft.
Dimensional Doors!
Make a tiny house, and instead of a normal door, use a dim door. Then enjoy your 33x33 or so area that looks like a really cool kind of nothingness.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Dimensional Doors!
Make a tiny house, and instead of a normal door, use a dim door. Then enjoy your 33x33 or so area that looks like a really cool kind of nothingness.

This, except my first thought was to use Mystcraft.

Reactions: kaovalin

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Dimensional Doors!
Actually, it's really easy to make the pocket dimension look nice, or even expand it. Placing a block on a bit of that black nothingness replaces the nothingness with that block; shift clicking places it on it(but does not work if you try to place more nothingness on it this way, you have to right click it without holding shift), and it breaks really easy, like, 1 punch and it's gone.

But this isn't the same as making a TARDIS in Minecraft, which is an actual example of Non-Euclidean architecture.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Exactly, the only issue someone might have would be if they wanted to see the sky. Or needed it, for bees or solar panels or something.
Mystcraft would be an option for having an universe inside a house, but alone it doesn't work that well because you need to replace your door (or something close to it) with a crystal portal. So, why not try both? Make an age, then use the rift signature and link a dimensional door to it.
Which reminds me that there's something about using dimensional doors that feels so much better than opening a book.

Bahnmor

Jul 29, 2019
I can't remember if it's in any of the ftb packs, but you could try using the Enhanced Portals mod to link to a mystcraft age.
The advantage is that the portal blocks from this can be configured to mimic blocks near them, so no bright blue crystal blocks. You can also customise the portal itself to be invisible with no particle effects.