How did YOU customize your Minecraft experience?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Froghandler

Jul 29, 2019
Treecapitator! I'm sorry, but it just saves SO much time in the long run. I really don't care if it's unbalanced lol.
I've played several worlds (restarting is fun!) and used to use timber! (essentially the same as Trecapitator) as well. However, I find that it's much more fulfilling to use Forestry tree farms instead, and once you get the infrastructure set up, it's even easier than Treecapitator as it's entirely automatic. Even a single tree farm will give you all the wood you'll need. Forestry is just such a great mod in general; I'm especially fond of biofuel plants supplied by stacked wheat farms. You can stack up to 7 on top of each other and have a single Combine harvest all of them (the combine will harvest on 13 levels starting 3 blocks below the level it is on; this is more than the 10 levels the wiki states.)

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
All i have done is change the configs a bit. I enabled all the gregtech recipe changes and put TE recipes on hard-mode as well.
I admit it. I'm a machochist when it comes to the big griiind. (actually i just like the challenge of having to set up a system for breaking trough despite the extra resource demands.)

Kal

Jul 29, 2019
He didn't "pass along the torch", he just gave someone else permission to fork it while he's busy with BC3/etc. He'll be updating the "official" version soon enough, when he has the chance.

Strictly, that's not entirely accurate either. Logistics Pipes is open source with a very non-restrictive license; Krapht has always allowed anyone to pick it up and fork off a new build if they would like to. Explicit permission to any individual wasn't needed.

Davboecki's fork is really really good though. YMMV on the power requirement (I think it adds depth and some needed balancing), but the extra modules are a godsend when dealing with high output machines or devices. I'd be using the fork in preference to the original at this point myself in any case, I think.

It really needs a catchier name ;)

madaffacca

Jul 29, 2019
I've played several worlds (restarting is fun!) and used to use timber! (essentially the same as Trecapitator) as well. However, I find that it's much more fulfilling to use Forestry tree farms instead, and once you get the infrastructure set up, it's even easier than Treecapitator as it's entirely automatic. Even a single tree farm will give you all the wood you'll need. Forestry is just such a great mod in general; I'm especially fond of biofuel plants supplied by stacked wheat farms. You can stack up to 7 on top of each other and have a single Combine harvest all of them (the combine will harvest on 13 levels starting 3 blocks below the level it is on; this is more than the 10 levels the wiki states.)
Post a screenshot! It looks like an awesome idea!

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Currently I have Optifine and MineLP [non-modloader version] installed.

Backtools and smartmoving are also pretty cool.

I avoid adding anything that give new block/items ect, as each FTB update could well break that world, and currently there's no way to switch between different builds of each FTB pack.
Things like additional BC pipes I tend to avoid together, as most of that you can do with the existing modpack if you get creative with it.

NekoiNemo

Jul 29, 2019
Beta Pack, Server.
Added: Smart Moving, Treecapitator (I added all log id's from EBXL & Twilight Forest and bronze axe), Mo'Crestures (even though all aggressive mob's ned to be spawned manually because of EBXL)
Also Optifine for the client. It's so sad that they don't have permission to include it in pack(

joseff amador

Jul 29, 2019
Strictly, that's not entirely accurate either. Logistics Pipes is open source with a very non-restrictive license; Krapht has always allowed anyone to pick it up and fork off a new build if they would like to. Explicit permission to any individual wasn't needed.

Davboecki's fork is really really good though. YMMV on the power requirement (I think it adds depth and some needed balancing), but the extra modules are a godsend when dealing with high output machines or devices. I'd be using the fork in preference to the original at this point myself in any case, I think.

It really needs a catchier name ;)

How could one find this particular fork? (Davboecki's)?

CaptainDingo

Jul 29, 2019
The first thing I do in any modpack is rip out Equivalent Exchange. It's so overwhelmingly cheaty that it drives me crazy.

After that, it's smooth sailing.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure why you bothered to bring up EE here as EE is currently only in the retro packs where it is required in order to even hope to make progress in the FTB map. Not to mention when it does get added in to the 1.4.5 packs, it won't be nearly the "cheaty" mess it used to be. Most of the problem was the collectors and condensers anyways, and both of those are nixed.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to remember this off the top of my head, so I'm almost guaranteed to miss something. Also this will be roughly in order of the changes I made in the order I made them.

1: Moved FTB mods to the MultiMC loader. I really, really, REALLY like FTB as a pack. However MultiMC is a far better launcher. Being able to create backup copies of my instances, having multiple instances on multiple versions is just perfect.

2: Added Keysprint (I despise double-tap sprinting), Optifine, Logistics Pipes, Additional Pipes. Ripped out Gregtech, Thermal Expansion, Factorization, RailCraft, Steve's Carts and ComputerCraft.

3: Watched DW20's videos on TE, Gregtech, Factorization, RailCraft and Steve's Carts and ComputerCraft.

4: Added TE, RailCraft and Steve's Carts back in, also added EE3. Further solidified my resolve that Gregtech and Factorization aren't for me.

5: Restarted a new world to get TE worldgen and moved to a BC/TE base instead of an IC2 base. Removed ComputerCraft again. Removed EE3.

6: Updated to 1.4.5.

7: While trying to find an NEI conflict removed IC2, Gravisuite, Advanced Machines, Advanced Power Management, MFFS. Eventually found conflict and added IC2, and only IC2, back in.

8: Added Thaumcraft 3 with worldgen regeneration. Normally I'd start a new world but, hey, this is magic so those world gen items could very well magically appear. ;) Added EE3 back in.

That's where I sit currently. I am currently waiting on RP2 (who isn't) mainly for the gates and red alloy wiring. The rest I can do without. When it comes out I'll probably start a new world and probably remove IC2 and Steve's Carts. While IC2 is where I dove first when getting into modded Minecraft (I'm a late comer) the more I get into the BC base, the less I use and want to use IC2. I'll miss my drill and my Industrial Diamonds, that's about it. I tried 1 cart in Steve's Cart and it isn't for me. Not sure if I'll keep Thaumcraft 3. I will keep in EE3, for the time being. Depends on how far he takes it. But honestly, there are some things that are far harder than they need to be to obtain and I'm more than willing to destroy things, not even on an equivalent basis, so I can skip the annoyance. Ender Pearls, I'm looking at you.

joseff amador

Jul 29, 2019
just type "Davboecki logistics" into google and it's the first link

Quit being so logical :p

I would have normally done that, but many addons for mods seem so obscure. But it's good to know that this one is well known enough to show up in a google serach results. Thanks

LazDude2012

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I march to the beat of a rather different drum, so here's what I end up doing:
As far as texture packs, I'm trying to find a decent one. I'm not a big fan of Sphax. I don't like the whole irregular pentagon motif. However, I do like how it does glass and glass panes, when paired with Optifine to do smooth textures, because it doesn't have that annoying glare thing going. I tend to like, in general, faithful packs, except for the glass. I aim at a 64x texture pack, although I wouldn't turn my nose up at a 32x pack if one looked good. Anything higher than 64x and my computer starts to resent it (although with the latest linux nvidia 310 driver, that might well change).
A decent texture pack, you say? Look no further than the JohnSmith Technician's Remix contained within these very forums! 32x, but the classiest 32x of them all, and with absolutely brilliant mod support!

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
Trying to remember this off the top of my head, so I'm almost guaranteed to miss something. Also this will be roughly in order of the changes I made in the order I made them.

1: Moved FTB mods to the MultiMC loader. I really, really, REALLY like FTB as a pack. However MultiMC is a far better launcher. Being able to create backup copies of my instances, having multiple instances on multiple versions is just perfect.

2: Added Keysprint (I despise double-tap sprinting), Optifine, Logistics Pipes, Additional Pipes. Ripped out Gregtech, Thermal Expansion, Factorization, RailCraft, Steve's Carts and ComputerCraft.

3: Watched DW20's videos on TE, Gregtech, Factorization, RailCraft and Steve's Carts and ComputerCraft.

4: Added TE, RailCraft and Steve's Carts back in, also added EE3. Further solidified my resolve that Gregtech and Factorization aren't for me.

5: Restarted a new world to get TE worldgen and moved to a BC/TE base instead of an IC2 base. Removed ComputerCraft again. Removed EE3.

6: Updated to 1.4.5.

7: While trying to find an NEI conflict removed IC2, Gravisuite, Advanced Machines, Advanced Power Management, MFFS. Eventually found conflict and added IC2, and only IC2, back in.

8: Added Thaumcraft 3 with worldgen regeneration. Normally I'd start a new world but, hey, this is magic so those world gen items could very well magically appear. ;) Added EE3 back in.

That's where I sit currently. I am currently waiting on RP2 (who isn't) mainly for the gates and red alloy wiring. The rest I can do without. When it comes out I'll probably start a new world and probably remove IC2 and Steve's Carts. While IC2 is where I dove first when getting into modded Minecraft (I'm a late comer) the more I get into the BC base, the less I use and want to use IC2. I'll miss my drill and my Industrial Diamonds, that's about it. I tried 1 cart in Steve's Cart and it isn't for me. Not sure if I'll keep Thaumcraft 3. I will keep in EE3, for the time being. Depends on how far he takes it. But honestly, there are some things that are far harder than they need to be to obtain and I'm more than willing to destroy things, not even on an equivalent basis, so I can skip the annoyance. Ender Pearls, I'm looking at you.

But... but the barrels!

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
A decent texture pack, you say? Look no further than the JohnSmith Technician's Remix contained within these very forums! 32x, but the classiest 32x of them all, and with absolutely brilliant mod support!
It was interesting, but I didn't like the glass textures. I did like the whole steampunk vibe it had, though. I found Soartex Fanver which is working out quite nicely at the moment.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019

I'm going to go on a bit of an off-topic tangent here, but I'd like to say a few things about this. Nobody's perfect, and there are some mods for which Direwolf's spotlights are... not very good for. Factorization happens to be one of them. I would recommend giving it a try yourself rather than just going off of his spotlight. Ignore the craft packets (except to get the Diamond Shards) as those ARE worthless and silly gimmicks (why make a "harder" to automate system if it cannot be automated without outside help anyways?), and ignore the modular armor as that is a mostly useless gimmick that still happens to be a work in progress. The things to focus on for Factorization are the ore processing, the Furnace Heater, the wrath fire stuff, and the mass sorting and storage capabilities of the Barrels and Router.

The ore processing is tedious to do by hand and tricky to automate, but once you do, it's one of those things where a lot of effort gets invested and then you finally come to a surprisingly satisfying result. Satisfaction and accomplishment is a good thing to break up all the convenience of the other mods, right?

For the Furnace Heater, yes, there are other power alternatives, but after you've found one of the large silver veins, this is easy to craft and power. Additionally, the Furnace Heater winds up on a "power grid" of its own, which avoids having to use your BC or IC2 power for your smelting purposes. It also has, by my observation, the highest compatibility rate for what it can smelt because it is the vanilla Furnace. Even better, I'm pretty sure it is compatible with Thaumcraft 3's Arcane Bellows. This sounds like a very good thing.

The Wrath Fire can be used for a bit more than just the Wrath Lamps and creation of Dark Iron. It can mass produce glass (you will need silk touch to gather it, of course), convert entire chambers between smooth stone and cobblestone, clear out large areas of grass and trees, and probably a few other uses I haven't discovered yet. The Wrath Lamps are nearly a good enough reason by themselves, however. They're floodlights, and the mod does come with more utility than only floodlights, and I personally prefer using fewer mods to get the job done when I can.

And of course the Barrels. Direwolf didn't cover the Barrels and Routers very well at all, but... just look around at the thread(s) where people show off their storage facilities. People are creating whole walls of sorted item storage where you can even see the item being stored, just using cheap Barrels, two Routers, and a dump chest.

The mod has a lot of flaws, mind, but... Direwolf kind of failed to cover the really good points of the mod. So again, my point is to not go by just his spotlight. Mod reviews can be very misleading when they're so incomplete.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
But... but the barrels!

Saw them, not really interested in them. While it is great that they can store a ton of a single item the problem is they can store a single item. Aside from Cobble, what item would I want to keep more than 6-7 stacks of, let alone 64x64? None. And even in all my worlds from Alpha to present the most cobble I have ever kept on hand is right around 1k, ~16 stacks. The end result would mean to utilize barrels I would have to take up more space for storage, not less.

I would recommend giving it a try yourself rather than just going off of his spotlight.

I'm not going off just his spotlight. I am also going off of his SSP and SMP LP series. Season 3 of the former, season 4 of the latter.

The things to focus on for Factorization are the ore processing, the Furnace Heater, the wrath fire stuff, and the mass sorting and storage capabilities of the Barrels and Router.

Ok, none of those interest me at all.

The ore processing is tedious to do by hand and tricky to automate, but once you do, it's one of those things where a lot of effort gets invested and then you finally come to a surprisingly satisfying result. Satisfaction and accomplishment is a good thing to break up all the convenience of the other mods, right?

Depends on what you consider satisfying. A, by your own words, tedious manual or tricky to automate process, coupled with a horrible proprietary power system, which results in an identical increase in results as other mods or, at most, slightly better results on a far longer time scale? That is not satisfying to me. As you pointed out with the packets, why make it harder to do the same thing?

Additionally, the Furnace Heater winds up on a "power grid" of its own, which avoids having to use your BC or IC2 power for your smelting purposes.

This is not a feature. This is a liability. To smelt I have create and place a whole new power system which takes up an ungodly amount of horizontal space, cannot be located anywhere but the surface, and is prone to the slightly fluctuations in the weather. Or, I can run another 3 blocks of REC off my main junction and tap into my existing, highly robust, compact, and versatile (read, underground) power system.

The Wrath Fire can be used for a bit more than just the Wrath Lamps and creation of Dark Iron.

Wrath Lamps are about the only thing that interests me, but certainly not enough to bother with the rest of the mod.

And of course the Barrels. Direwolf didn't cover the Barrels and Routers very well at all, but... just look around at the thread(s) where people show off their storage facilities. People are creating whole walls of sorted item storage where you can even see the item being stored, just using cheap Barrels, two Routers, and a dump chest.

As I said above to SilvasRuin, they don't fit my play style. They provide no better solution than Logistics Pipes + Iron Chests and, in fact, would cause the space I need for storage to increase. Right now I am operating out of 8 chests total. 7 are hooked into Logistics while the 8th is manual. Only 2 are diamond, 1 is plain wood and the rest iron. To use barrels for just my "junk" chest would take 7 barrels and would provide no better sorting or retrieval.

The mod has a lot of flaws, mind, but... Direwolf kind of failed to cover the really good points of the mod. So again, my point is to not go by just his spotlight. Mod reviews can be very misleading when they're so incomplete.

No, but combined with his, and other people's, LPs where they are put to use I do get a sense of what it is. And what it is, to me (let me stress that, to me) is something that offers minimal in ways of actually being used. Wrath Lamps, that's it. That's not enough. Heck, I am on the verge of dropping IC2 because I don't use what it has to offer nearly enough to warrant keeping it in my personal pack nor keeping it up to date. It has more going for it than Factorization. The Drill, the Chainsaw, the Miner & Jetpack. However the more I play, the more I find that I do not like keeping up the minimal IC2 infrastructure I have simply for those 4 items.

If others get a kick out of Factorization, if it fits their play style, great, go for it! Your world, your mods, have fun.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
Very well, just doublechecking. I know I've passed up a mod or two because of incomplete or misleading reviews before that I later had a much better look at.