Hosting server but the console says that there are too many arguments in command line

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
S

SneakyKitten

"Detected following JVM error:
=======================================
Too many arguments in command line.
=======================================
JVM test failed. Can't run server, Exiting...
Press any key to continue . . ."

mc.crab

Feb 2, 2013
Which modpack? What are you using to start it? What OS are you using?

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Check the Java version on the server, then make sure the command line switches are still valid. Java has changed a lot in the past 3-4 years and I still see people advising the use of switches that worked in Java 1.7 on the latest Java versions, even though half the switches no longer mean anything...

As an example, on the Client side you used to have to allocate 4GB (64 bit Java) ram for the heap in version 1.0.7 but that's now the default in 1.0.8 without specifying anything. Modded Minecraft has moved on, however, to the point where modern packs like to see 6-8GB :D

Last edited:
K

KingSkulzCrusher

Im having the same error code and i dont know how to fix it! Please help!

J

Jovis

I was having the same issue, I installed the 64 bit windows offline version of java from here and it fixed it for me!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
IIRC 1.7.10 was the last version of MC that was supported using 32-bit Java. Everything beyond that requires 64-bit, if for no other reason that 32-bit can't support the memory required for OS + Java + MC + mudpack + heap requirement (allocation).

32-bit anything (OS, Java) has a maximum hardware limit of 4GB (2^32 == 4,294,967,296)

B

BlackFox16

i figured out the issue at least on my pc when i tried launching and that error posted it created a file java-test
in it it said missing jvm.dll in blah blah folder
i googled the dll file downloaded it and created the folder it said and it went away