Hosting a Ultimate FTB server and need a hand with the Gregtech config

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

hillbillyassasn

Jul 29, 2019
I was asked to make the GT very difficult. Can someone inform me how? I've looked at the config files, but Im not sure what I should change to make things very difficult.

Chesham

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure Gregtech is on hardmode by default, at least according to what I read. Open up the Gregtech/recipes.cfg file and check the section named usefulrecipes, most of them should be set to true if it's on hardmode.

Reactions: OmegaPython

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Now I see why people hate Gregtech lol. Or are you trolling?

The user wanted a "very difficult" config change. I provided four configuration changes that I believe would make the early and mid game fairly difficult, as well as make the end game decently long and bothersome, as well as reward automation greatly. It should also remove certain things, such as mineral blocks (you need them to stack to nine in a compressor to make them) and the like.

I fail to see how I am "trolling", considering those factors.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
Make The Matter Fabrocator Rate even higher like 30,000,000 and also make Iridium ore spawn rate like 10 which I think is = to 1 iridium per 10 chunks or make the number even lower...

EDIT: Hardest mode I can think of, or want to for that matter...
Make Matter Fabricator rate 100,000,000(indefinite # of zeros)
Make Iridium Ore Spawn rate =0 (They have to go to the end for iridium)
Make stack sizes really low...

Once you have the matter fab in GT it's just waiting.., so make that as hard as possible...

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Funny how people think this is 'hard'. What is 'hard' about a stacksize of 4? Is walking to and from chests more often 'hard'? I don't know your baselayout but mine sure doesn't have walkways above lava with skeletons trying to shoot me off of it between my crafting table and my storage :D

Reactions: Shakie666

OmegaJasam

Jul 29, 2019
Funny how people think this is 'hard'. What is 'hard' about a stacksize of 4? Is walking to and from chests more often 'hard'? I don't know your baselayout but mine sure doesn't have walkways above lava with skeletons trying to shoot me off of it between my crafting table and my storage :D

...I know whats going in /my/ crafting room next time I play :)

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, just leave the configs as they are. As Hydra (implicitly) said, anything else will add tedium, not difficulty. The only other thing I could suggest would be lowering the spawn rates for ores, but I don't know how to do that.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
To be honest, just leave the configs as they are. As Hydra (implicitly) said, anything else will add tedium, not difficulty. The only other thing I could suggest would be lowering the spawn rates for ores, but I don't know how to do that.

There is a thermal expansion config that decides in which layers ore spawns. You could have copper only in layer 50 and tin only in layer 60 for example, if you're a masochist :)

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

I am not sure why you appear to find humor in such things. You have only looked into the most obvious way that the game is not changed, which is when you are in your base. As such, you have skipped over the entirety of play that revolves around the concept of stack size making things easier (mining, logging, combat, pretty much everything else besides standing around your base moving stuff around). Your example also has nothing to do with the config change, as a base with walkways above lava with skeletons trying to shoot you off between your crafting table and storage would be bothersome no matter the stack size.

When being told to make GregTech "very difficult", you should expect an extremely healthy dose of tedium. Messing around with the ore generation could be useful as well, but nothing is going to break spirits better than only being able to carry five minute's worth of mining.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I am not sure why you appear to find humor in such things. You have only looked into the most obvious way that the game is not changed, which is when you are in your base. As such, you have skipped over the entirety of play that revolves around the concept of stack size making things easier (mining, logging, combat, pretty much everything else besides standing around your base moving stuff around).

You mean in those occasions you go out into the world and gather stuff? Like ores? And wood? Which you drop into your ender-pouch?

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
You mean in those occasions you go out into the world and gather stuff? Like ores? And wood? Which you drop into your ender-pouch?

Again, you are entirely missing the point: How are you going to get an ender pouch? You need to get to the nether (unless you can use those Thaumcraft flowers' blaze powder to make blaze rods for ender chests, unless you think a single ender pouch is enough of course). If all you are doing is "dropping" stuff into the pouch, which is likely the stupidest use of the pouch I can think of, then you'll need at least eight of them.

Instead, a single pouch would be best used to set up a remote collection system. Which means massive amounts of storage (barrels may be able to get around this as I believe they hold a specific quantity of items, not quantity of stacks). And, to collect all of the materials needed to make these systems? Perhaps a lot of canvas bags to start, as you can get string fairly easy with RedPower2.

In either regard, you have entirely missed the way this increases the difficulty of the game, which I find fairly astounding considering that the stack size limit is one of the earliest and most painful attributes of MineCraft, be it Vanilla, FTB, or what have you.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Again, you are entirely missing the point

No, you are. The point is that lowering the stacksize doesn't make the game harder and neither does requiring more base materials or longer crafting chains. It just makes the game more tedious because you're just spending the same amount of time doing exactly the same stuff. Or do you really want to claim that going down into your mine 8 times to get the materials instead of 1 is somehow 'harder'?

The only 'hard' part about the game is not yet knowing how to do stuff. That's why adding new content (for example Thaumcraft or AE) is fun because you have new stuff to do and build. Inflating the time people spend in the game by adding a grind is simply bad game design.

BeastFeeder

Jul 29, 2019
You could get rid of the recipes that substitute sapphires in the lapotron crystals and the rubies for the energy crystals. But I think that one of the tweaks with the ultimate pack is to make changes to the GT config so that it's harder than the regular hard mode, by default. You could reduce the ore spawn rates if you want it even harder.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
the hardmode settings that are default in FTB ultimate are sufficient for the IC2 techpath i think. no need to bring on extra pain by messing with stack sizes. unless you really are a machochist.
just remember to make certain that the TE config is also set to hardmode. that is that all ore processing machines in TE requireing diamonds. if you feel up to it, you can also make the machine frame from TE demand steel. that really pushes TE into the midgame rather than making it the first thing you do. that is actually not a bad thing. the pulverizer does give more bonus ore than the macerator after all. late game it's industrial grinder all the way ofc.

Bluehorazon

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing you might look into is non-GregTech configs. I'm pretty sure GregTech is in hardmode by standard. But the fun thing is that it makes no sense to have GregTech in Hardmode while TE is not. So I would suggest making TE hardmode too, since Lemming added similar crazy recipies for his stuff. But for a server it shouldn't be too bad, since you have a lot of people to work together.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
No, you are. The point is that lowering the stacksize doesn't make the game harder and neither does requiring more base materials or longer crafting chains. It just makes the game more tedious because you're just spending the same amount of time doing exactly the same stuff. Or do you really want to claim that going down into your mine 8 times to get the materials instead of 1 is somehow 'harder'?

Harder, defined as being more difficult. Difficulty, being the principle requirements of something to complete. Completion, being a collection of variables, one of those being time.

So, obviously, yes: It does make the game harder, and to deny that is an irrationalism that is outside of my ability to understand.

Being "harder" does not mean it needs to not be tedious. In fact, tedium is a great way to increase difficulty, although not a "fun" one to the majority of people involved (myself included).

If you can logically comment on how you can claim that a massive increase in time (nearing a magnitude) spent does not increase difficulty (per the logical conclusion that difficulty is the relationship of the variables needed to complete something, one of those being time), please do so as I'd love to see how you can believe such a thing.

The only 'hard' part about the game is not yet knowing how to do stuff. That's why adding new content (for example Thaumcraft or AE) is fun because you have new stuff to do and build.

So, to continue the logical train of thought, your feelings are that the only fun thing is not knowing how to do things. As such, you need to spend time either researching the new mods, or you need to spend time playing around with them to try and figure out how they work. Again, we are back to time.

Inflating the time people spend in the game by adding a grind is simply bad game design.

All game design resolves around time, because that is one of the principle attributes of all things human. Although if you dislike grind, why are you playing on survival mode? You'd remove a MASSIVE grind by making your stack sizes unlimited and unending, which then, by your logic, should make the game much better.

AMEN. Time =/= Difficulty

Can you provide any evidence to that, because I have provided evidence to the converse. Thank you.

Reactions: Vtecem and Chrono