[Horizons] Thaumcraft Node Kills me?

guachitoni

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

I've ran into a weird situation that never happened to me.
I was playing horizons mod pack, which has Thaumcraft 4 installed. I was returning from
getting resources, when something started to suck me, it was invisible wind (particles being sucked into
the air). After that, it lifted me to the sky, and the fall killed me. When I died, I saw my
items being also sucked, absorbed, AND DISAPPEARING. I lost all my items.
Returned to the spot, I could see it was a little ball that was glowing. It sucked me again, hurting me and then throwing me to the sky. With goggles of revealing I could see it was a node.
When I destroyed it, it gave me A LOT of essences (maybe my items transformed), but my items were gone.

I've been searching a lot but found no answer. Is that a bug, or a thaumcraft node actually killed me and had withdrawn all of my items forever?
Is there a way to recover the items or get protected from that?

Thank you very much :)

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
From what I've heard the hungry node does convert the items into essences. But it's hard to destroy without an excavation wand core.

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
In addition, there is no real way to protect yourself. They crop up so rarely that it isn't considered that much of an issue. You just need to be aware of the signs (most obvious of which being lots of missing blocks nearby) and be on the look out for them. There are 2 safe ways of destroying them, the better option of which was already mentioned, use the excavation focus. The other is also the only real way to survive one when you stumble upon it which is use a flying device (Thaumostatic Harness, Jetpack, etc.) to stay directly above it and whack it, which is obviously dangerous, but is better than trying to whack it on the ground and getting sucked in to your doom or thrown in air.

Mister2u

Jul 29, 2019
Typical. I had just traded for 5 emeralds and was riding my horse back home and I ran into one of these. I guess I can say bye-bye to my emeralds :(

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Typical. I had just traded for 5 emeralds and was riding my horse back home and I ran into one of these. I guess I can say bye-bye to my emeralds :(
The last post in this thread is over a year old, please do not necro to complain. Or better yet, don't necro.

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
As specified, the hungry node is just that, a node hungry for everything around it. It creates a crater around it by eating, or at least trying to eat anything within a 10 block radius give-or-take around it. As it eats, it grows by infusing itself with the aspects of what it eats, this isn't always the case, however what's certain is whatever it pulls, it will destroy. If you've lost all your items to it, chances are they're gone for good.

If you're in it's range, it will attempt to eat you too, if you're fast enough or have a quick enough flying speed, you can get away from it by being stronger than it's pulling speed, however chances are slim.

You can take advantage of this node if you're quick enough and have the gear to do it, by performing the Node-in-a-jar treatment upon it, but as I said you have to be quick enough to jar it before it destroys the glass and slabs you build around it. After which you could enclose it in obsidian and feed it items and blocks yourself to potentially create a super node with all the aspects you feed it.

Good luck!

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
It wasn't really a necro, more of an unneeded resuscitation. If the "necro" post in question was "My but likes apples!.." or something equally inane, THEN it's a necro.