Horizons - Memory leaks

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My Horizons world is essentially unusable these days: after several minutes of play, on F3 I can see the memory (2GB assigned) cycling from 80-99% and then lagging at 100%.

I place blame nowhere. My game is modified thusly:

Removed: most magical mods besides magical crops
Added: ElectriCraft, ExpandedRedstone (@Reika's mods)
Added but Recently Removed: MeteorCraft (Reika's mods)
Updated: All of Reika's mods, including Dragon API.

My computer is not an issue: its my professional software development machine with an I7-4700 cpu. Every time I turn it on, somewhere an angel dies.

Few questions if anyone cares to assist:
1) Is there a way for me to identify what mods are hurting me? I'm not adverse to removing offenders.
2) Does anyone have a long-term Horizons world running that is not experiencing any memory leak issues? This would potentially narrow down my list of offenders (suggesting its the mods I've added or updated)
3) Does anyone have a reliable java config (jvm arguments etc) they can provide me? I believe @Eyamaz used to maintain such a list but I believe its now out of date (could be wrong)

Folks, I appreciate your input and ideas as always :)

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I believe eyemaz one is still up

Maybe you can use opis to check? I know mariculture was a pain before...

I had the same with monster pack (back in 1.0.9 or so) with 4Gb allowed, unplayable after getting 10-20 machines. Never been a problem for MF2 nor AgS.

RoC water pipa have been a pain for a server I played on but I know he updated them and they shouden't be a problem

Maybe open block tanks can be a problem?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I believe eyemaz one is still up

Maybe you can use opis to check? I know mariculture was a pain before...

I had the same with monster pack (back in 1.0.9 or so) with 4Gb allowed, unplayable after getting 10-20 machines. Never been a problem for MF2 nor AgS.

RoC water pipa have been a pain for a server I played on but I know he updated them and they shouden't be a problem

Maybe open block tanks can be a problem?
Good observations. I can rule out:
* Mariculture (not using it, or Its not included, I forget which)
* RoC water pipes (not using)
* OpenBlocks tanks (not using)

I thought Opis was good for something else besides memory usage, but I can look into it.

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
I am pretty sure opis will show you how much tps each block/chunk takes...

I remember dw20 has a spotlight for it if you want

And mariculture, just being included creates lag, from what I heard

You might want to try a void base

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I thought Opis was good for something else besides memory usage, but I can look into it.

Since I just discovered this yesterday, I'll share it in case you didn't know about it. Typing /opis in game will open a second window which, after running the test, will tell you what chunks have the longest load time, which entities are taking the longest to load, and which tile entities are taking the longest to load (and probably more that I'm forgetting).

Reactions: Pyure

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Since I just discovered this yesterday, I'll share it in case you didn't know about it. Typing /opis in game will open a second window which, after running the test, will tell you what chunks have the longest load time, which entities are taking the longest to load, and which tile entities are taking the longest to load (and probably more that I'm forgetting).
It also shows how long things take to render. Still not entirely sure whether that's client or server side though.

Reactions: Padfoote

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It also shows how long things take to render. Still not entirely sure whether that's client or server side though.
Most of this strikes me as CPU-related. I just hope there'll be an obvious indicator of memory usage issues.

Won't know till tonight or tomorrow. I write hockey draft software and there's a draft tonight I have to monitor. No minecraft for me :/

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Why on earth did I post this in Showcase? That was an error.

Can someone move it somewhere more appropriate? (Not sure how to alert a moderator)