1. This section of the forums is now closed. You can post and answer support requests on the new support site here

Horizons - Memory leaks

Discussion in '[Archived] Tech Support' started by Pyure, May 5, 2014.

1. Pyure

Pyure Not Totally Useless

My Horizons world is essentially unusable these days: after several minutes of play, on F3 I can see the memory (2GB assigned) cycling from 80-99% and then lagging at 100%.

I place blame nowhere. My game is modified thusly:

Removed: most magical mods besides magical crops
    Added: ElectriCraft, ExpandedRedstone (@Reika's mods)
    Added but Recently Removed: MeteorCraft (Reika's mods)
    Updated: All of Reika's mods, including Dragon API.

My computer is not an issue: its my professional software development machine with an I7-4700 cpu. Every time I turn it on, somewhere an angel dies.

Few questions if anyone cares to assist:
    1) Is there a way for me to identify what mods are hurting me? I'm not adverse to removing offenders.
    2) Does anyone have a long-term Horizons world running that is not experiencing any memory leak issues? This would potentially narrow down my list of offenders (suggesting its the mods I've added or updated)
    3) Does anyone have a reliable java config (jvm arguments etc) they can provide me? I believe @Eyamaz used to maintain such a list but I believe its now out of date (could be wrong)

Folks, I appreciate your input and ideas as always :)

2. madnewmy

madnewmy New Member

I believe eyemaz one is still up

Maybe you can use opis to check? I know mariculture was a pain before...

I had the same with monster pack (back in 1.0.9 or so) with 4Gb allowed, unplayable after getting 10-20 machines. Never been a problem for MF2 nor AgS.

RoC water pipa have been a pain for a server I played on but I know he updated them and they shouden't be a problem

Maybe open block tanks can be a problem?

3. Pyure

Good observations. I can rule out:
    * Mariculture (not using it, or Its not included, I forget which)
    * RoC water pipes (not using)
    * OpenBlocks tanks (not using)

I thought Opis was good for something else besides memory usage, but I can look into it.

4. madnewmy

madnewmy New Member

I am pretty sure opis will show you how much tps each block/chunk takes...

I remember dw20 has a spotlight for it if you want

And mariculture, just being included creates lag, from what I heard

You might want to try a void base

5. Padfoote

Padfoote Brick Thrower Team Member Forum Moderator

Since I just discovered this yesterday, I'll share it in case you didn't know about it. Typing /opis in game will open a second window which, after running the test, will tell you what chunks have the longest load time, which entities are taking the longest to load, and which tile entities are taking the longest to load (and probably more that I'm forgetting).

Pyure likes this.
  6. Wagon153

Wagon153 New Member

It also shows how long things take to render. Still not entirely sure whether that's client or server side though.

Padfoote likes this.
  7. Pyure

Most of this strikes me as CPU-related. I just hope there'll be an obvious indicator of memory usage issues.

Won't know till tonight or tomorrow. I write hockey draft software and there's a draft tonight I have to monitor. No minecraft for me :/

8. epidemia78

epidemia78 New Member

Well this probably wont help but it seems I run into memory issues with Biomes o Plenty.

madnewmy likes this.
  9. Pyure

That's a weird one, I wouldn't have guessed it could cause problems.

10. Pyure

Why on earth did I post this in Showcase? That was an error.

Can someone move it somewhere more appropriate? (Not sure how to alert a moderator)