Horizons 3

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
J

jeddell

Hi everyone,

Ive just started into Horizons 3 and it has shown me how much of a noob I really am with modpacks still. Just when I thought I was getting a handle on it all, this thing throws me a curve ball.

Has anyone noticed the lack of information out there for the LATEST developments of the modpacks? I've been searching for something up to date with thermal dynamics and everything I come across is years old and out of date.

Im trying to automate my power generation, ie, get lava from a pond, or the nether into a Magmatic dynamo. I would have thought this task would be a simple one...but....Its stumped me. any ideas?

APEX_gaming

Jul 23, 2017
I would switch to the direwolf 20 1.12 pack and play along with him, he goes in-depth on what he does

J

jeddell

Yeah, been thinking about it. Still, I'm a little disappointed that there is no up to date information pertaining to the specific mod packs. I get that it all takes time, but maybe putting off the release by a week or two might help.

X

Xenulus

Renewable power is possible with thermal expansion, and is easy to set up......compared to other things. Use 2x2 spruce trees with 8 arboreal extractors on each log at the base of the tree. Use liquiducts to send the resin into a fractionating still to produce tree oil, which produces 1 million RF per bucket in a compression dynamo. I recommend making a nullification chamber augment for the fractionating still to deal with the Rosin byproduct. The compression dynamo requires a coolant, so make an aqueous accumulator, set it between two source water blocks and use fluiducts to send water into the compression dynamo. I currently have six 2x2 trees set up with 48 arboreal extractors and 3 fully upgraded compression dynamos and a fully upgraded fractionating still with a nullification chamber augment, the other slots being the "speed upgrade" augment. I could add more dynamos, but I currently generate 1800 rf/t with no maintenance or supervision. The more trees and arboreal extractors you have, the more tree oil, and in turn, the more power you can produce that requires no supervision. Best thing next to solar, except this process can work at night.

J

jeddell

Thanks Xenulus. Sounds like and interesting project. its a far cry from the old MFR pump and redstone engines. Ill give it a try. I also tried making the generator from the menril trees? I got it working and can store power, but I coulnt get any flux ducts to transfer power from it. Still playing with that one too.

M

Mikemk

Even better than what Xenulus said, is calculator conductor masts and locators. These take a lot of diamonds and so are late mid game, but my conductor mast setup (17 masts, 28 transmitters, and 12 weather stations just for appearance) makes about 3-10k rf/t. Also provides a nice 850 M rf/t energy storage.

A very simple 7x7 (9x9 with stable stone edge) locator setup yields 12.9k rf/t

X

Xenulus

I've haven't played with Calulator yet but I've seen some interesting stuff with it! 850 million rf storage?! Ok, gotta check that out, lol!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yeah, been thinking about it. Still, I'm a little disappointed that there is no up to date information pertaining to the specific mod packs. I get that it all takes time, but maybe putting off the release by a week or two might help.

It's up to the mod developers to provide documentation for their mods if they wish. Many do it exceptionally well, some don't bother. But they all do so for free.

The best thing to do is to find someone who has done a "Mod Spotlight" on the mod in question... Direwolf20 has a long-running series of such spotlights and starting within the last 6 months or so has been covering a lot of new mods. In one video he was contemplating doing new spotlights for some of the old but updated mods as if it were the first time he saw them instead of just showing what is different.

J

jeddell

Yeah I get it Hambeau, and I do respect the efforts that the developers made/ Make. Its why I don't push it. Beggars cant be choosers.

Thanks Mikemk for your idea. I'm not at that stage yet, but ill certainly make a not of the idea and give it a whirl