Holy....

Discussion in 'Web Feedback' started by It_IS_Lupus, Nov 6, 2014.

1. jordsta95

jordsta95 New Member

And they're back :/

2. CoolSquid

CoolSquid New Member

New captcha needed. Let's go search for captchas on eBay!

3. jordsta95

jordsta95 New Member

I still think the 10 post limit idea is better than any captcha. Because a captcha will only work for so long, whereas 10 post limit (meaning 10 posts have to be approved before a user can post stuff without them being moderated - those first 10 posts cannot have links too?) would be a much better way of controlling the spam, seeing as the spam users will only ever post 1 post, and then their posts will never actually be approved; never be shown on the forums :p

4. CoolSquid

CoolSquid New Member

Or maybe having to fill out a captcha for posting until you have 10 posts.

5. jordsta95

jordsta95 New Member

As I said... captchas only work for so long... It is actually a pretty crap way of keeping spam bots out. As there is obviously a way that the spammers are bypassing it. And if the spammers are "human" just C+Ping ideas, then captchas are easily bypassable.

6. CoolSquid

CoolSquid New Member

Maybe some kind of auto generating a new captcha each time?

7. jordsta95

jordsta95 New Member

8. jordsta95

jordsta95 New Member

Seems like the spam bots want to celebrate the new year here on the forum :(

9. HeilMewTwo

HeilMewTwo New Member

:D They want to celebrate the new year as well!

10. Bashful Giant

Bashful Giant New Member

Bye bots. See you in 2016!

*Promptly deletes 15-odd spam threads*

jordsta95 likes this.
  11. jordsta95

jordsta95 New Member

12. HeilMewTwo

HeilMewTwo New Member

13. Bashful Giant

Bashful Giant New Member

I found a rather amusing one earlier that had copy pasted what I'd said into a new thread, and added its own URL to it. Felt very priveledged!

14. jordsta95

jordsta95 New Member

What can we say? You're famous

15. Padfoote

Padfoote Brick Thrower Team Member Forum Moderator

16. jordsta95

jordsta95 New Member

Finally someone else agrees that CAPTCHA isn't the best thing. As it just keeps getting changed, which works for about a week.

17. Padfoote

Padfoote Brick Thrower Team Member Forum Moderator

Seeing how Google is eliminating their CAPTCHA use completely...

Plus, I saw how the wiki one worked. It was awful, and the constant spam bot posts here reinforces that it doesn't work.

18. CoolSquid

CoolSquid New Member

The wiki one was incredibly effective against humans though :p

19. jordsta95

jordsta95 New Member

Not to mention even if captchas did work, they are forcing harder and harder to read captchas for real people, as spammer, create programs to read the "easy" one, then there needs to be a harder to read captcha, which the program gets updated to read, and the captcha needs to be made harder to read... and the cycle continues.
    I struggle to read most captchas nowadays... I remember about 5-10 years ago a captcha was something like:
    Whs8FGs1
    And that would stop spammers. But captchas are outdated, and impossible to read nowadays. Especially with the terrible fonts in most of them "Is that an 'f' or a 't'. and 'a' or an 'o'"

Padfoote likes this.
  20. Nerixel

Nerixel New Member

There's AreYouAHuman, it's at http://areyouahuman.com/
    I've not done, or seen detailed tests of its ability to stop bots, but I work on a (non-FTB) wiki and as of yet we haven't gotten a single spambot.

Padfoote likes this.