Holy....

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
New captcha needed. Let's go search for captchas on eBay!
I still think the 10 post limit idea is better than any captcha. Because a captcha will only work for so long, whereas 10 post limit (meaning 10 posts have to be approved before a user can post stuff without them being moderated - those first 10 posts cannot have links too?) would be a much better way of controlling the spam, seeing as the spam users will only ever post 1 post, and then their posts will never actually be approved; never be shown on the forums :p

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
I still think the 10 post limit idea is better than any captcha. Because a captcha will only work for so long, whereas 10 post limit (meaning 10 posts have to be approved before a user can post stuff without them being moderated - those first 10 posts cannot have links too?) would be a much better way of controlling the spam, seeing as the spam users will only ever post 1 post, and then their posts will never actually be approved; never be shown on the forums :p
Or maybe having to fill out a captcha for posting until you have 10 posts.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Or maybe having to fill out a captcha for posting until you have 10 posts.
As I said... captchas only work for so long... It is actually a pretty crap way of keeping spam bots out. As there is obviously a way that the spammers are bypassing it. And if the spammers are "human" just C+Ping ideas, then captchas are easily bypassable.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
As I said... captchas only work for so long... It is actually a pretty crap way of keeping spam bots out. As there is obviously a way that the spammers are bypassing it. And if the spammers are "human" just C+Ping ideas, then captchas are easily bypassable.
Maybe some kind of auto generating a new captcha each time?

Bashful Giant

Jul 29, 2019
I found a rather amusing one earlier that had copy pasted what I'd said into a new thread, and added its own URL to it. Felt very priveledged!

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
That's the second one I've seen now. It's time to drop the CAPTCHA system and move on to something that works, before they start flooding the real threads here.
Finally someone else agrees that CAPTCHA isn't the best thing. As it just keeps getting changed, which works for about a week.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Finally someone else agrees that CAPTCHA isn't the best thing. As it just keeps getting changed, which works for about a week.

Seeing how Google is eliminating their CAPTCHA use completely...

Plus, I saw how the wiki one worked. It was awful, and the constant spam bot posts here reinforces that it doesn't work.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019

Plus, I saw how the wiki one worked. It was awful, and the constant spam bot posts here reinforces that it doesn't work.
The wiki one was incredibly effective against humans though :p

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019

Not to mention even if captchas did work, they are forcing harder and harder to read captchas for real people, as spammer, create programs to read the "easy" one, then there needs to be a harder to read captcha, which the program gets updated to read, and the captcha needs to be made harder to read... and the cycle continues.
I struggle to read most captchas nowadays... I remember about 5-10 years ago a captcha was something like:
Whs8FGs1
And that would stop spammers. But captchas are outdated, and impossible to read nowadays. Especially with the terrible fonts in most of them "Is that an 'f' or a 't'. and 'a' or an 'o'"

Reactions: Padfoote

Nerixel

Jul 29, 2019
Not to mention even if captchas did work, they are forcing harder and harder to read captchas for real people, as spammer, create programs to read the "easy" one, then there needs to be a harder to read captcha, which the program gets updated to read, and the captcha needs to be made harder to read... and the cycle continues.
I struggle to read most captchas nowadays... I remember about 5-10 years ago a captcha was something like:
Whs8FGs1
And that would stop spammers. But captchas are outdated, and impossible to read nowadays. Especially with the terrible fonts in most of them "Is that an 'f' or a 't'. and 'a' or an 'o'"
There's AreYouAHuman, it's at http://areyouahuman.com/
I've not done, or seen detailed tests of its ability to stop bots, but I work on a (non-FTB) wiki and as of yet we haven't gotten a single spambot.

Reactions: Padfoote