Holy hand grenades massively OP

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone else think so?

They're relatively easy and cheap to craft, and they kill a Wither in 3 hits. You craft 4 of them in each recipe too. Every other mob I've tried so far dies in 1 hit, and the area effect is massive. On top of that, it doesn't destroy any of it's surroundings nor hurt you.

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
Xeno’s Reliquary, it's in the Ultimate pack.
Ah, I've not been playing the Ultimate pack. The server I play on is still on MindCrack, and my machine is having issues running any packs in SSP these days. Huge chunk errors everywhere is the norm for all the packs in SSP since the updates to Voxel. My CPU probably just can't keep up anymore.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Ah, I've not been playing the Ultimate pack. The server I play on is still on MindCrack, and my machine is having issues running any packs in SSP these days. Huge chunk errors everywhere is the norm for all the packs in SSP since the updates to Voxel. My CPU probably just can't keep up anymore.
It's not your pc it's voxelag. It's a terrible mod for any kind of stable FPS unless you have a relatively new computer.

Also if you think it's too strong don't use it. Though it uses not easily renewable items to craft it. Not to mention there are easier and automated ways to kill the wither.

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
Also if you think it's too strong don't use it. Though it uses not easily renewable items to craft it. Not to mention there are easier and automated ways to kill the wither.
"Don't like it don't use it" is the most idiotic solution for any problem in the mods. If throwing dirt blocks to the ground killed every mob in the server and dropped 50 billion experience, you wouldn't say "just don't use it" instead of "this is an unbalanced feature."

Daxamar

Nov 21, 2012
Its in DW20 pack also. I use the Chalice for unlimetd water, but the rest of the mod is meh for me and my friends. Although I have been a bit bored on our server. I think Ill spend sometime with it...for sh*ts and giggles.

The hunters hand gun..yeah. Ill be spending a bit of time with it

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
"Don't like it don't use it" is the most idiotic solution for any problem in the mods. If throwing dirt blocks to the ground killed every mob in the server and dropped 50 billion experience, you wouldn't say "just don't use it" instead of "this is an unbalanced feature."

Using an out of place hyperbole is also an idiotic solution for an argument. It's unbalanced to you. Which means it's potentially not to me or any other person on the face of the planet. Play the game how you want to play it. You're not forced to use anything and what you feel is too good or too weak is up to you. Many people here change the config to buff things they think are weak and nerf things they think are too strong. If you forfeit the ability to do this by choice you forfeit any reason to argue with the default settings the FTB pack devs and mod devs chose to use.

So again; don't like it don't use it. Otherwise shut up and fix it yourself.

Entropy

Jul 29, 2019

This is a terrible example because it is taken to the very extreme. The holy hand grenade is meant to be strong, as the trope codifier was also hilariously powerful. The deciding factor is if it can kill rabbits as well as it kills everything else. If it can't, it needs to be buffed.

Stormcrown

Jul 29, 2019
FTB Ultimate is a sandbox mod. This is something that people really need to understand.

Things are not balanced in a sandbox. You pick what you want to do.

You can't expect, what? 40+ Mod Authors?, to communicate and balance their mods. Some of them don't even like each other.

Reactions: vasouv and Hoff

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019

thats the same answer gregtech idiots say when people say its too hard "dont like don't use it and stop complaining"
well, I tell you the same thing:
this op, that op, don't like it don't use it and stop complaining
oh and I can kill the wither by researching 3 minutes in thaumcraft and mining for 3-5 minutes. Using 1 warded block.

Bagman817

Jul 29, 2019
Actually, I'd be saying "wtf is the server admin thinking?" and pack my bags. Some mods (or at least some features in mods) are op by design. Perhaps just because they're fun, or...just because. Resorting to "but what about the servers?!" is not a valid reason to change a mod as server admins have tools to fix it to their liking (banning certain blocks, changing configs or flat removing the mod). As a non admin server member, you can make your case to the admin, or leave.

Stormcrown

Jul 29, 2019
Bagman you are very very correct.

Lots of mods in Ultimate, I believe, are designed for singleplayer and balanced for singleplayer.

Portal Gun/Grav Gun/Soul Shards are disabled on tons of servers, but people happily use them in singleplayer.

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
'It's unbalanced to you. Which means it's potentially not to me or any other person on the face of the planet.
It's balanced to you. Which means it's potentially not to me or any other person on the face of the planet.

This is a terrible example because it is taken to the very extreme. The holy hand grenade is meant to be strong, as the trope codifier was also hilariously powerful. The deciding factor is if it can kill rabbits as well as it kills everything else. If it can't, it needs to be buffed.
I know it's meant to be strong, but it's too strong considering it's current recipe.

FTB Ultimate is a sandbox mod. This is something that people really need to understand.

Things are not balanced in a sandbox. You pick what you want to do.

You can't expect, what? 40+ Mod Authors?, to communicate and balance their mods. Some of them don't even like each other.
I don't get the concept of "sandbox". If you want to play sandbox, enable creative features and/or NEI cheat mode. There's no excuse for things to be very unbalanced outside those. There's a lot of unbalanced things in FTB, but holy hand grenades stand out like a sore thumb. I get what you mean by the multiple authors problem though, but I'd expect the author to have some kind of idea about the power of their mod when it's included in one of the (if not THE) most famous mod pack in existence.

On the other hand, maybe the author wants it to be a very OP mod, in which case idk. Feels strange that it was included in FTB in the first place, because the "suggest mods" thread or whatever does not accept unbalanced mods.

oh and I can kill the wither by researching 3 minutes in thaumcraft and mining for 3-5 minutes. Using 1 warded block.
That's essentially abusing of a "bug", it's a different thing.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
It's balanced to you. Which means it's potentially not to me or any other person on the face of the planet.
So you're saying you agree; No ones personal opinion about it means jackshit to the rest of the community because I'm playing the game my way and you're playing the game your way.

Also you might want to actually educate yourself on what a sandbox game actually is.

Stormcrown

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed with Hoff.

You don't understand what a sandbox game is.

Skyrim is a sandbox RPG. GTA is a sandbox game. Eve Online is a sandbox game. Feed the Beast Ultimate is a sandbox game.

You seem to be mistaking a sandbox-style game with sandbox mode in some games. Sandbox mode is typically a mode where you are given "Creative" powers and able to do whatever you want.

Tsun

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed with Hoff.

You don't understand what a sandbox game is.

Skyrim is a sandbox RPG. GTA is a sandbox game. Eve Online is a sandbox game. Feed the Beast Ultimate is a sandbox game.

You seem to be mistaking a sandbox-style game with sandbox mode in some games. Sandbox mode is typically a mode where you are given "Creative" powers and able to do whatever you want.
Having overpowered weapons with easy access to them isn't a part of any other sandbox game, including any of the ones you named. There isn't a holy iron battle-axe of the gods +500dmg that you can pick up in the beginning of Skyrim with people telling you "don't use it if you don't like it." Yet you're using sandbox as an excuse to justify having unbalanced mods together.

Minecraft is a sandbox game by nature, so I don't get how you're trying to differentiate Minecraft-Sandbox from FTB-Ultimate-Sandbox