Highlands, ExtraBiomesXL, ATG, Biomes o' Plenty or Vanilla? (Poll Included)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Highlands, ExtraBiomesXL or Biomes o' Plenty

• Total voters

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Just want to know what you prefer, so, comment down below expressing your opinions.
So yeah, gonna keep this short (unlike my other threads), so, let's start sharing thoughts!
Bear in mind:
-Highlands has double ores for biomes.
-BoP is most popular.
-ExtraBiomesXL is only used in private packs now but has great biomes!
-ATG is the most realistic!
-Vanilla is original and stable.

Last edited:

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I kinda like what Highlands does, but that's mostly because of its world gen and not as much of its biomes. So not so fair to compare. After all they are not really similar mods.

But like the plan of Monster of going with ATG and using biomes of both BoP and Highlands, so that is what I am going to do. So not sure what to vote.

Reactions: RealSketch

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
I kinda like what Highlands does, but that's mostly because of its world gen and not as much of its biomes. So not so fair to compare. After all they are not really similar mods.

But like the plan of Monster of going with ATG and using biomes of both BoP and Highlands, so that is what I am going to do. So not sure what to vote.
How about I add ATG? :)
Only you won't be able to vote on the poll for ATG. :(
*wondering if a mod could do that please* *thinking quietly* (hint, hint)

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
EBXL imo is better than BoP. The colors in EBXL look more vibrant, brighter. Plus in BoP, not only there's biomes with a ridiculous amount of tall grass, but it also has a bunch of other flowers/grasses that I don't like.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
BOP all the way :) ATG is not a biome mod, its a terrain generator mod. Because of that ATG is not competing with biome mods like BOP. Instead it is actually complimenting them.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
BOP all the way :) ATG is not a biome mod, its a terrain generator mod. Because of that ATG is not competing with biome mods like BOP. Instead it is actually complimenting them.
Well that was somewhat my point. ATG is primarily a a world gen tool, but it does add a very few biomes. Then you have Highlands who does a mix of both. And then BoP and EBXL that afaik just adds biomes to the default world gen tool(or something close). Its a bit difficult comparing them directly.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Jes' using BoP because I always have and ATG spawned some really weird stuff. I like challenge, so I'm not trying out Highlands.

fleutius

Jul 29, 2019
For me it would be BoP. Double ores doesn't really interest me. If I needed it I could easily change ore gen in the CofH world configs

kaiomann

Jul 29, 2019
I normally like BoP, but I highly dislike the choice of biomes in the DW20 pack. Out of millions of biomes, there are FIVE enabled.

Also ATG feels weird. It looks awesome, but actually travelling around in an ATG world is stupid. It's mostly hills, with snow on top and swamps at the bottom. I miss some flat plains.

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
I like BoP because it keeps vanilla generation intact.
Out of the 4 mentioned only ATG does mess with the vanilla generator. All the others can either spawn their biomes with the vanilla one if configured to do so or have their own generator which has to be chosen on world creation to take effect.

Personally BoP is no longer a biome mod for me. When they introduced their own dimension and those mobs it became a hybrid between dimension mod and adventure mod (like Twilight Forest). Which is why i don't use it anymore.
From the remaining 2 i find Highlands suits my playstyle best so that is what i am going with :)

€dit:
ATG as well needs to be selected to get its generation, it doesn't mess with vanilla by default.

RealSketch

Jul 29, 2019
Out of the 4 mentioned only ATG does mess with the vanilla generator. All the others can either spawn their biomes with the vanilla one if configured to do so or have their own generator which has to be chosen on world creation to take effect.

Personally BoP is no longer a biome mod for me. When they introduced their own dimension and those mobs it became a hybrid between dimension mod and adventure mod (like Twilight Forest). Which is why i don't use it anymore.
From the remaining 2 i find Highlands suits my playstyle best so that is what i am going with :)
Nice to have an admin reply. :)

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019

If a Biome Mod does not give you the impression that it adds to adventuring then IMO it failed hard at its purpose.Because lets be honest, vanilla has a pretty solid set of biomes. Adding more should give you that feeling of "I wanna go explore the world!".

That said, it shoudnt became an actual adventuring mod like twilight forest. Wich it defenitly isnt, not even close (no structural terrain generation like castles/ruins/loot orientated world generation and no huge amount of mobs/bosses). Heck, that blinding spider from BoP would be a great addition to vanilla. An actual mob that makes combat harder without destroying the stuff you build? Big fat plus one!

Last edited: