Hermitpack questions/answers/tips/hints MegaThread!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hey folks,

I noticed there wasn't one thread that just handled Hermitpack questions etc. In the name of keeping the forums a bit cleaner (aka not having 20+threads randomly all over the general section) what say we put our thoughts tips/hints here?

I'll start....

Getting obsidian is actually very easy.. looking it up you see a recipe with 2 buckets of lava over 2 buckets of water but with an overlay of 1000... that's 1000 milibuckets.. so it makes obsidian... go go cobalt mining level!

Now, got a question.. has anyone else noticed that ore gen in the overworld seems a bit.. sparse?

M

MagicMage1238

Haven't noticed it to be sparse, heck ores spawn in every remission now....

I'm running a Open Creative test of Hermitpack 1.2.1 if you want to check it out.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
I'm spending most of my time mining in the nether... Lots of diamond and emerald there, and gold... but when you break nether gold blocks you get nuggets instead of the block to smelt...

The lack of ore is purely anecdotal at this time. I've done a lot of strip mining at the levels it says I should find certain ores and have been coming up with squat.. :) YMMV

Has anyone else tried to eat the "Soul Bread" yet? *snicker*

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
In the nether (mostly.. I don't recall seeing them anywhere else) there are these ghost mobs, that sound like any other mob.. they drop soul bread... if you eat it, i highly suggest you be in a very safe spot..

You get a debuff called "cursed" and mob spawning is turned right up, day or night... Did it once, damned zomberts kept knocking off my torches on my little island.. got swarmed really quick...

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Naw, it's how I managed to get enough endermen to spawn to get the head I needed for a slice'n'splice :)

I dug a hole into the side of a hill... ate one bread then ventured out between healing sessions.. probably would have gone smoother if i had made some botania brews of regen/instant health first :)

Get yer bow and sword and have at em!

*edit*

Haven't tried this in the nether yet... damned angry chickens...

M

MagicMage1238

Oh WOW - Thanks for the Heads up.... I wonder if the charm will still protect a player in the sistuation.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
They "should"....

It just seemed to spawn mobs for 20 min... none of them were empowered or anything like the ones that used to spawn when making cursed earth in 1.7

WuffleFluffy

Jul 29, 2019
Hey folks,

I noticed there wasn't one thread that just handled Hermitpack questions etc. In the name of keeping the forums a bit cleaner (aka not having 20+threads randomly all over the general section) what say we put our thoughts tips/hints here?

Wanting to get into 1.10+ modpack so I have shelved my old 1.7 series world for now and am in HermitCraft.

I've literally just started, what do people recommend starting with?

-Wuffle!

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Wanting to get into 1.10+ modpack so I have shelved my old 1.7 series world for now and am in HermitCraft.

-Wuffle!

Vanilla.

No really, the best jumping off point for mods IMO is a nice stable Vanilla base. After that, I would think TiCo is probably the easiest way to double ores and get powerful tools in your hands. Then the sky's the limit.

Edit:. Mekanism is a nice choice if you usually rush TE in a 1.7 world and want some of that functionality. Power gen is pretty solid, which is good because the factories can chew through a fair amount, and you'll likely have a few of them.

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019

-Wuffle!

TiCon actually triples your ores, so it is a good mod to start.

After that I'd try out the Mekanism route - it has almost everything you need and becomes really powerful in the midgame with its generators and ore processing.
It even has a jetpack which can be fuelled with Hydrogen (you get that as a waste product of the ore tripling setup). The armored version is pretty nice.

After that I would check out the different wands (they are pretty OP but fun) or getting started with the cosmetic mods like Chisel, Chisels and Bits or Flat Colored Blocks (love that mod!).

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
TiCo to get a feel for how it's changed (if you haven't "tinkered" around with the new version yet...) Then I actually suggest Roots to get the growth totems, you will need to grow things fast for easy food/resources (I'm looking at you canola). Next Actually Additions for the coffee maker... Super cheap easy to make, 4 shot potion effects? Yes please!

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Oh also, get to the Nether as soon as you are able to handle it. Diamond and Lapis are abundant in the Nether, and looting 3 is easy/quick to get with tinkers! One thing tho' gold ore in the Nether seems to drop nuggets only..

MC_Tirm

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting one for you guys!

I am trying to fill up Mekanism Gas Tanks through automation, and I'm looking for a way to break and place. So place empty tank next to a pipe, it fills it, when its full it breaks and puts a empty one in its place.

I have tried so many things! Redstone comparitors can't detect gas's (just shows as 15), extra utilities no longer has world interaction, only mining upgrade, so can't use that. Tried block breakers from about 5 different mods. If there is no way to do this, then I can't see a way to automate mekanism 5x ore processing :(

Any idea's??

MC_Tirm

Jul 29, 2019
I thought i had a solution, using destruction and construction planes from refined storage. I put a basic gas tank in front of it, it broke it and destroyed it :(

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
If the tank level can't be read, can you time it? How long does it take to fill the tank? Use a block breaker on a timer to "guestimate" the time it takes to fill the tank, then pulse a block placer... It won't be elegant, but maybe that will work?

M

MagicMage1238

Well I Figured I would post it here..... I'm running a Hermitpack 1.3.0 Server that is completely Open (No whitelist) and in Creative Mode (Testing the stability of the pack on the server) anyone is welcome to come and check it out!

MagicsFTB.playat.ch:25566 (Reminder this World is Creative)

I also have a Whitelisted Survial Server (As of this post 1.2.1) info is in my Signature.

EDIT - The testing world has been closed and survival world is now 1.3.0

Last edited:
S

ServerLagger™

I love this modpack so far, and I would like to give you some interesting tips from my own experience:
TechReborn Windmills can be a very good power source: each one is really cheap (a generator and a bit of Iron and you get TWO), and produces a decent amount of power without needing any real free space around it: 20 of those placed high up in the sky and connected to a Powercell with basic universal cables give you quite an amazing bit of power; speaking of Powercells, they are essentially cheap Tesseracts which work for energy only.
Longswords from Tinkers are great as always, but they are even better in 1.10: a Bone guard, Manyullyn rod, Steel head setup can oneshot basically everything with a bit of quartz slapped on, and give that awesome mobility the Longsword always gave.
If you can get your hands on a Spruce Sapling, a Firewood plate, Stone head, Copper binding, w/e rod Lumber Axe with Fortune 3 and a handful of Furnace Generators will solve your power problems for a long time and give your Botania Mana production an head-start.
But, most importantly, Knightslime is 1000% worth it: it is downright the best tool rod, with an insane speed boost and a great durability (optimal for a ridiculously fast Hammer, with plates made out of Cobalt and Ardite, and the head made out of an easy-to-get material like Stone or even better Copper).
With all the Copper in your tools (and a wise usage of the Experience Obelisk), you will have accumulated a lot of experience: what is the best use for this? My own best bet would be to create an Emeradic AIOT and pump it up with Efficiency and most importantly Mending (which are ez pz with a EIO inscriber): this will give you a very fast tool which is effective on everything and pairs up nicely with the Longsword to compress tools down to just two slots in your hotbar. Also, Emeradic Armour with protection 4 is amazing, you basically take no damage at all with a full suit and a Diamond Helmet with Probe. Spawner Changers are very useful, and can be used to get just as many wither skulls as you desire by plopping a spawner in the nether and changing it to a skeleton spawner, and slaying the big black skellies (no racism here) by using a Mechanical User with a good Cleaver (or even your Longsword, which could be undestructible and beheading 5 by the time you get to build a wither skellie grinder, and you can build a new sword from scratch anyways) in it; you can then go ahead and create a wither farm and end your power problems forever with the almighty nether star generator, which has no drawbacks unlike the xu one.