Help with Villager Behavior

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dimebonix

Jul 29, 2019
Playing dw20 ftb1.7.10

Never used villagers much in the past, looking to learn a bit of their characteristics, breeding particularly. The reason is I'm trying to generate emeralds, because from what I've experienced in this version, they're practically non-existent while mining.

First thing is, can I bring them back to my base and build a setup to spawn them or does it have to be done within a village?

And second, what does the setup need to look like, was reading about some 5 block rule but I don't quite understand it.

Lastly, would it be more beneficial to setup vacuum hoppers to collect their dropped emeralds or to just cook them in the smeltery?

Thanks for any help!

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think this is the most efficient way but it's the path I was on that lead me to 'generating' villagers. I created an MFR system for breeding, chronotyping and grinding? cows that also generated mob essence. I then had a bunch of this essence and tried to figure out what to do with it. The 'auto spawner' uses mob essence, some energy and a 'mob' contained in a re-usable safari net to auto spawn mobs of the same type. I capture a village in the safari net and used the auto spawner to spawn villagers in a room that were then 'conveyed' into a smeltery. It didn't take long to gather a lot of emeralds...way more than I needed.

Dimebonix

Jul 29, 2019
that should've been a no brainer for me, considering I'm already running an auto spawner for endermen. For some reason I just wasn't thinking about sticking a non hostile mob in one, perfect solution though, I could literally just put the spawner directly over the smeltery.

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
Yea, I got a bit of personal satisfaction conveying them into it though :) Oh, and I don't know if they drop TC coins when they die but I think some do so I added a vacuum hopper above the smeltery as well. Here's my setup:

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Simple-ish setup:

1. Natura essence berry bushes in range of MFR harvesters.
2. Feed harvested essence berries into autonomous activators above a set of MFR sewers.

This turns experience into mob essence, which you can use to power a spawner.

3. Capture a villager in a safari net and chuck it in a spawner.
4. Have the spawning area for your villagers on a retractable floor above the smeltery (hint: pistons).
5. Set up the pistons to activate on a timer. The frequency should depend on how fast your spawner is working.

Enjoy their HNRGs of agony as you turn them into lovely lovely emeralds.

Dimebonix

Jul 29, 2019
great setup skruis... essentially the same idea as mine just a little prettier. essence via ender tank (I just use a powered spawner with zombies and an octadic capacitor to fill up the essence quickly) lava to smelt via enter tank, I have a pump setup in the nether for a virtually endless lava source which also powers my magmatic dynamos, not sure of your setup but id assume the same. and I just have my auto spawner hovering two blocks above a 7x7 smelt, with conveyors on all the walls which covers the 9x9 or 5 blocks in every direction. kicks out a solid amount of emeralds so far. only dilemma im seeing is you have to have something in the smelt for them to burn, but I always want the liquid emerald queued for pour because I have an automated pour setup, but when it runs out in the smelt it no longer queues back up when it replenishes again. I guess the answer is to supply villagers faster than the smelt can drain the liquid. also the gold coins are kind of a bitch too because if you drain all the liquid then they'll queue to smelt, but as long as I keep some sort of liquid in there they wont, but I guess the vacuum hoppers you talked about solve that, I thought of doing that I guess ill try it. Thanks!

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
only dilemma im seeing is you have to have something in the smelt for them to burn, but I always want the liquid emerald queued for pour because I have an automated pour setup

About that. You can set up a loop using fluid conduits. Extract from one faucet, route the conduit over your casting basins then BACK INTO another faucet.

If you do it right you'll be filling basins and sending the leftovers back into the tank :)

Alternatively, just blacklist non-emerald fluids when you extract and keep an ingot's worth of some metal in there.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
You could check for comparator behavior on tanks; if you had a whitelisted pipe pump emerald juice into such a thing (TE Portable Tanks have this behavior) and link it back to the valve to close it on/off as you wish.

Sent from my Puzzle Box of Yogg-Saron using Tapatalk 2

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
great setup skruis... essentially the same idea as mine just a little prettier. essence via ender tank (I just use a powered spawner with zombies and an octadic capacitor to fill up the essence quickly) lava to smelt via enter tank, I have a pump setup in the nether for a virtually endless lava source which also powers my magmatic dynamos, not sure of your setup but id assume the same. and I just have my auto spawner hovering two blocks above a 7x7 smelt, with conveyors on all the walls which covers the 9x9 or 5 blocks in every direction. kicks out a solid amount of emeralds so far. only dilemma im seeing is you have to have something in the smelt for them to burn, but I always want the liquid emerald queued for pour because I have an automated pour setup, but when it runs out in the smelt it no longer queues back up when it replenishes again. I guess the answer is to supply villagers faster than the smelt can drain the liquid. also the gold coins are kind of a bitch too because if you drain all the liquid then they'll queue to smelt, but as long as I keep some sort of liquid in there they wont, but I guess the vacuum hoppers you talked about solve that, I thought of doing that I guess ill try it. Thanks!

I think I'm using another Mine Factory machine to generate lava. I have a Big Reactor and an energy surplus so I just plugged that thing into a Railcraft tank and I'm ender-tanking from the Railcraft tank. I have no idea if its more or less efficient than anything else. It was simple and that's really all I cared about :)

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
If ur server has Railcraft, Ocean Biomes have these abyssal block spheres in the ocean in which u can find emerald ore, diamond ore and lapis ore.