Problem Help with corruption mods and Direwolf20 1.6.4

Josecordob91

Jul 29, 2019
Good night.

First, I introduce myself . I am Cordo_ , Comunity Manager of the Spanish community IFDS ( www.ifdsmc.es ) . We carry more than a year as a service providing server minecraft modpack with FTB .

We started with 1.4.7 Ultimate FTB . After a while , our TPS dropped to average 5-6 TPS.

We switched to the FTB Unleashed version 1.5.2 , also dedicated server kernel eventually " virtualize " the server for this service was not affected to the other services we offer ( survival , skyblocks ... ) .

All was well . Our average players gradually ascended, having at times to 25-30 players online . The TPS all the time remained at 20. But for one month , some mods have started to rot , causing crashes on clients, and occasionally crashes the server.

The TPS have fallen to an average 8-10 TPS , we are concerned that descendiento continue until it is unplayable (sometimes lag exists on the server ) .

We observed that the vesion 1.6.4 is better optimized , and have decided to change the FTB Direwolf20 modpack .

We would like to offer service to 30 users can simultaneously play without problems ( no lag, no crash ... ) . For this we need to give us advice on some issues :

- Start command
- Settings mods
Items that ban -

In short, everything that allows us to make the most of the server, and offer the best service. We do not want that to happen to us 1.6.4 as with version 1.4.7 and 1.5.2, and to provide a continuous and secure.

These are the features that we have to accommodate the FTB Direwolf20 1.6.4 server:

We are currently using the boot command:

Code:
java -server -d64 -Xmx10000M -Xms10000M -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=4024m -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+AggressiveOpts -jar "{JAR}" nogui

More features:
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1620v2 3,7 GHz+
Cores/Threads: 4/8t
RAM: 12GB
Java 7 64bits

Run the server using MCPC.

Thanks to the community for FTB Modpacks work on. Hope you can help and advise us to improve.

Greetings: Cordo_
www.ifdsmc.es

PD: Sorry for my poor English, if you do not understand something, please contact me.

Last edited:

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Generally modpacks will have some bugs but with a bit of work you can remove mods from the server that cause issues so at the worst only the clients will crash.

I would highly suggest the Direwolf20 pack for 1.6.4. Out of all the packs, in my testing it has the least performance impact. As for specifications of the server, can you first tell me your budget and technical skill level? Different solutions exist for different budgets and skill levels but obviously certain situations are ideal.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Try this for the startup command:

Code:
java -server -Xms4G -Xmx4G -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -Xnoclassgc
-jar "{JAR}" nogui

I would suggest leaving the memory at 4 - 6 gigs per server. If tick rate becomes an issue, you have enough cores to run another server and split the players up.

To further reduce lag and problems, I would suggest removing Ars Magicka and perhaps MFFS.

Josecordob91

Jul 29, 2019
You think that server with 4-6GB of RAM, could support 30 people connected simultaneously?

Thanks for the start command and advice about Ars Magica MFFs and mods.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I would estimate 3 or 4 people per gig of memory. Once you reach larger player amounts like you plan on doing, its less about memory and more about processor performance. By running 2 servers with 15 slots each and 5 gigs of memory each you could spread the load across the 4 cores of your processor. Of course, you should probably experiment and see what suites your needs. 1 large server is funner for the players but its not always viable with this many mods.

Josecordob91

Jul 29, 2019
I would find it hard to tell my users to be separated to play. Since most group play.

But if as you say, I reckon 3 people per GB of RAM, with 12GB I should be able to accommodate 30 people simultaneously without problem, no?

Another question, the command you proposed to us, help us to improve performance but corruption and mods? how can we fight this?

Thanks friend.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, with that amount of memory, 30 players should not be an issue. The commands I proposed for the server are to help with performance. To fight corruption you should be making regular backups.

Josecordob91

Jul 29, 2019
Perfect, make regular backups How often do you recommend? Once a day?

On the other hand, I would like to know what mods Direwolf20 I monitor, or remove. For example:

-MFFs
-Chikenschunks
-Check thaumcraft taint
-Check Mystcraft
-Change "quarry" for "ender quarry"
-Powersuits ...

I would like to help me with this, as we believe it is one of the mistakes we made earlier, that the modpack provocanto quickly be corrupted.

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
I would say once per day minimum. Once per hour would be better and you can just have whatever backup system your using delete the old backups after a few days.

Monitor MFFS, it can have problems moving certain blocks.
Limit ChickenChunks if you find your running out of memory.
Disable the taint spread.
Disable MystCraft or limit.
Disable or limit the quarry if you have performance issues.
Leave Modular Power Suits enabled.

Josecordob91

Jul 29, 2019
Great, I have already learned about boot commands, limiting / disabling mods, and tips to avoid corrupting the world.

Now I wonder. In the event that, taking the above measures, some mod be corrupted ... or begin to give too many problems. What should I do? Is there a solution? I do not like having to remove mods every X time, prefer to fix corruption.

Thank you! I hope my doubts serve to help others.

Josecordob91

Jul 29, 2019
One last thing, I recommend removing the mod "Ars Magica 2"? I've seen it's an interesting mod, but has bugs. I do not want to corrupt the world before beginning xD

ziat007

Jul 29, 2019
Try this for the startup command:

Code:
java -server -Xms4G -Xmx4G -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:NewRatio=3 -XX:SurvivorRatio=3 -XX:TargetSurvivorRatio=80 -XX:MaxTenuringThreshold=8 -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=10 -XX:GCPauseIntervalMillis=50 -XX:MaxGCMinorPauseMillis=7 -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+UseCMSInitiatingOccupancyOnly -XX:CMSInitiatingOccupancyFraction=60 -XX:+BindGCTaskThreadsToCPUs -Xnoclassgc
-jar "{JAR}" nogui

I would suggest leaving the memory at 4 - 6 gigs per server. If tick rate becomes an issue, you have enough cores to run another server and split the players up.

To further reduce lag and problems, I would suggest removing Ars Magicka and perhaps MFFS.
MAY I KISS YOU PLEASE?
Your arguments work! I love you!