Request Help with chosing parts for a modded minecraft PC - in UK

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

PDP1124

Mar 31, 2020
I found this suggested list of parts on an earlier thread and would really very much appreciate it if you could share your expertise in preventing me from making an expensive mistake.. I'd like to put together a list of components to put in a PC, here in the UK, for playing Minecraft.

I have been suggested the following:
  • CPUAMD Ryzen 5 2600 Processor
  • GPUXFX RX 570 4GB GDDR5 RS XXX Edition
  • RAMXPG Z1 DDR4 3000MHz 16GB (2x8GB)
  • HDDADATA SU635 240GB
  • MOBOMSI B450M PRO-M2 Max
I'd like to be able to drive two side by side 1080p portrait orientated monitors. I'd like to keep it below 500GBP, unless a bit more would make a great deal of difference.

No, it's not for me. It's for my likely to become stir-crazy son who is here protecting his old man with a transplanted kidney, half a lung and dodgy ticker. We could have fun putting it together. I could ask him what to get, but I'd kind of like to make it a surprise... He couldn't bring his own desktop down here with him.. Added: Enigmatica 4 is the mudpack he is most recently using, I think.

Any suggestions of a better combination, much appreciated. I do have a really nice case and a high quality 850W power supply so won't need those and figure that I can get a Windows licence from Ebay?

Thanks again and good luck to you all.

Saekalive

Jul 29, 2019
just taking a quick look at your parts list, i built a quick one up on pcpartpicker in the uk. at the time of this posting, the price is 494.85 GBP.

Link: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/xdyt4n

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X

This will give you some more single core performance and also a higher core clock.

GPU: Same as yours except it's the 8gb Model. should run everything fine.

Ram: Thermaltake TOUGHPOWER Z-ONE RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory

This is a higher clock speed kit (which ryzen loves) and is good value for money.

SSD: Kingston 240gb for the boot drive
HDD: Seagate 2tb for mass storage

MOBO: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard: a little barebones, but it gets the job done and is good value for the money.

Hope this helps!

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Look at the Ryzen 5 1600AF... It's basically a first gen 1600 built with a 2600 2nd Gen 12nm die. All the tests show it pretty much delivers the performance of a 2600 but at a cost of US $85.00. which is I think about $40 cheaper.

I updated my R5 1600 system to a R9 3900x in December and changed enough parts that Microsoft wouldn't issue a new activation code. I found a place on Amazon selling a Thumb Drive copy of Windows 10 from Microsoft for around $118, but with a new key. I just had to use the new key to activate my system.

DON'T waste your money on a Windows license from ebay... Those are generally illegal copies of OEM licenses. You'll have to get support from the OEM that owns that license. If it's an illegal copy of an OEM license you won't get any tech support from Microsoft because they expect an OEM seller to provide all the support for that copy.