Help with CASUC reactor

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried making a CASUC reactor to help make better use of my uranium supplies, using LZH condensers to cool it. I'm testing one in creative, but whenever I try pumping lapis into it, it just pops out of the reactor without doing anything. I know 1 piece of lapis will cool 1 LZH by 40k, does that mean it won't take any until its reached 40k temperature? Or am I doing something wrong?

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
You should combine LZH and lapis on crafting table to cool it.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
I see, isn't there a way to do it automatically? I don't want to have to take the LZHs out of the reactor every 5 minutes to cool them.

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
You need to use autocrafting tables (or like) to ombine and RP2 filter (or like, probably RC loader will do) to pull depleted LZH out

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Now we have redpower, mount a sorting machine on the side and set it to auto-pull stacks, and set the target to a depleted LZH.

Route these around to a autocrafting table, and combine with lapis to refill.

wood pipe + r/s engine/autarchic into a relay, and tube back around to the reactor.

Depending on the heat output of your reactor, you may need bigger engines or more autocrafting tables.

(I recommend using gates next to the relay, to detect if it gets full and switch off your engines, or LZH will be vomited over the floor)

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
pulse the reactor off while refilling the LHZ's
so if you set it up with redpower. put it on a washing machine cycle with the help of timers and latches. use the timer to set running time, and when it hits the end of it's time it will activate a series of circuits controlling the refilling machinery.
I think an efficient design should maybe manage to do a full refilling cycle in as little as 30 seconds or so if set up for pure speed. (given that you have a barrel full of redstone at hand)

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
anything in the redpower bag of tricks that stays on when satisfied, and then turns off once it fails, instead of just pulsing "we're good"

will a sorting machine think of a reactor as a valid inventory to draw from to sort?

hmm... I havent actually tested that. but i think the reactor do use the inventory api from forge, so it should work I think.
I do know that a sorting machine can send ice into a FTB 1.2.5 CASUC. Just look at the CASUC setup at the end of the FTB challenge map series Direwolf20 made. it was fed entire stacks of ice at once that way.

For checking on wither the reactor is full or not, use the item detector. you can set it to only emit a signal if it's back-stuffed. just keep one more LZH in the loop than you need.

Bobbels

Jul 29, 2019
well, they're not talking about ice, are they?
i thought that too, when i read the thread title.
but just reading the first post cleared it up...

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I thought one of the updates made Ice no longer work as a coolant for reactors.
Ice still worked in 1.2.5. witch was the latest excample of a CASUC reactor we had to work from. Ice has been replaced by the LZH module now. the LZH's makes it a tad more complicated to run, sicne they are more expensive (cost lapis) and you don't want to break them. instead you consume redstone like there is no tomorrow repairing them in an autocrafting setup.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Right, back stuffed item detector giving power to the reactor. Reactor contains MULTIPLE LZH and does not deplete them all at the same time, or else.
When LZH hits 1 durability only, it matches the one in the sorting machine.
Sorting machine it set to adjacent inventory, but not on automatic, instead a timer is set to pulse it every tick, this is faster, and safer.
Output side is a chest. Chest is next to autocrafting table with 1 point LZH and redstone. It should work with 8 redstone and one LZH restoring to to 40,001 points.
Barrel of redstone is next to this table.
Autoarchic gate to pump the output to another chest, to a 2nd table that's also against the barrel. Becomes 80,001.
Pump to third chest, next to a third table, also placed against the barrel of redstone. Table contains the LZH and 4 redstone to repair to the full 10,000.
The LZH is moved into a tube that feeds to the item detector, that stuffs it, and turns on the reactor.

Now the hardest things are keeping the barrel full of restone, having enough uranium to fill the reactor and using all that chunky chunky voltage.

wouldn't a setup that used redpower items all the way be faster at autocrafting the LZH's?
I don't think that there is a way to prevent a continously running system like you envision here from going all manhattan on you. I think the thing will tend to accidentaly destroy some of the LZH's every now and then. you can pulse them out very fast, and you can pulse them trough the crafting table at max speed too during a refill run. so i think you can get them to refill all of the LZH's regardless of status in just a few seconds if the system is compact enough. the removal of the backfill status when the filter starts to grab the almost destroyed lzh's could be the signal to start the entire refurb cycle. I dunno if the refill system would block itself up if the damage level wasn't exactly right tho... hmm.. might have to set up some more filters and tests i guess for various damage levels.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
(Note, I'm not terribly familiar with RP2 just yet, I might be using the wrong machine name.) A Retriever can't be used to get a Project Table to autocraft?

I don't think I'd ever want to use such a reactor. The material use would be bad enough, but the all the little methods to try and keep feeding it would contribute more to lag than i'd feel comfortable with for a single purpose. My computer runs Minecraft pretty well, but I'd prefer not to find its limit.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
It will be better once there's a computer upgrade to the project table, so you can put the LHZ rebuild plan in the table, fire up the computer program to listen to one bit or another, and turn off redstone signals on various wires to run some bits, while computer signals run others.

But there is no redpower autocrafting, so we're looking at either the laser crafting table, with it's huge cost, or the manual autocrafting table, with it's slow pumps.

And yes, casuc "single use" no longer applies, but there's no catchy and amusing acronym that anybody has invented yet. And even if I was to invent one right now, it is not likely to catch on until everybody stops with the old name.

As for redpower all the way around? It's more compact to use a single autoarchtic gate in an always on condition, then to rig a filter or buffer and tube system. And wouldn't you need partually charged LZH's for every step of the way?

The always on gate is what makes me think it might be faster then a once per tick pulsed retreaver.

Now, I was originally trying to figure out how to do this with a sorting machine, with one chest adjacent to the sorter to be pulled out of but I just can't figure it out.

I can't remember what version exactly, but i think i did have a setup once that had a retriever pull from the bc autocrafting table somehow. but can't remember if there was a buildcraft engine and wooden pipe between them or not. could use more than one engine tho. and pull several items at once to speed it up.

Elo is never going to add her own autocrafting table unfortunately. she's stated that several times, since she does not want to replace buildcraft functionality outright. just make fun/challenging ways to do things differently.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
Strange, I heard the words "computer controlled crafting" thrown around by DW refering to redpower back on pahicraft.

A retreaver, would take a LHZ with exactly enough durability left in it, but so would a sorter, for it to match. But the retreaver would have to wait for a pulse of redstone, at least one tick delay, the autoarchitic gate would still be on, and move as soon as the chest had an item in it.

Now, I'm thinking sortmatraon. It can detect durability on an item. So the 1 point LHZ is pulled out, tossed through the inline sortmatron, labeled with a color to give it's destination, repaired, pitched into the system, labeled, repaired... loops around when fixed completely to the item dector where it turns on again.

I do think lag would be at a minium though, as only one item is ever moving at a time, and only with the reactor off.

I have a different idea I'ma test out once I get the time. it uses 2 set's of LZH's so is a bit more expensive to set up.
I'd set a timer to start the cycle. then once the reactor has run a certain amount of time, activate a replacement cycle that pulls all of the LZH's out as fast as possible, then replace this set from a replacement buffer.
the damaged ones are piped over to a refurbishment factory. I'd just pass them trough a single test of wither they are damaged or not, then refill them with a single redstone for each pass until they are undamaged. only undamaged LZH's are allowed to pass out of the loop and into a buffer. then once the reactor is in need of replacements it will replace the ones in the reactor with the refurbished ones from the buffer. But the problem is that we have no guarantee that all the lzh's will always be at a predictable damage level unless doing it inline with the reactor running. I got to do some tests with item pulling and damage values... I think it's possible to set it to pull while ignoring damage. If so all i need to do is filter off those who are undamaged from the loop with a filter set to only paint those who are undamaged.

I haven't played with the sortmatron yet. maybe it can make for a more elegant solution than what i am thinking of.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
3220 EU/t
http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.blueyo...3a4tzxc74yuhqkex8sfxtrhf6uzaijbp32zlhap1bucxs

Something not too complicated.
2 filters. One pulling empty LZH's out of the reactor the other placing full/partiall charged LZH's back in. A buffer of 4 or so LZHs stand ready to be put into the reactor, so when one pops out and is in transit to recharge there is no gap. Reactor also shuts down for a split second when inventory is missing -- its a buildcraft gate though, so there is some delay.

A redpower timer at max speed runs the filter to remove the LZH, and a 1 tick repeater connects the timer to the LZH placing filter.

Overheat protection using nuclear control thermal sensor and same buildcraft gate, though not needed with the vents.

The empty LZH goes to a chest next to an auto crafting table.
Autocrafting table also has a chest of lapis. The crafting table can be set to either refil 2 lapis or 3 with some waste or 2 + some redstone. Reactor has enough vent cooling to cover the heat spike from losing one LZH for a split second.

Use UU matter to make lapis replacement. i don't have greg tech, so it is 4 UU matter for 9 pieces lapis and generates quickly in a mass fab. That is about 40% of the total output without using any accelerators on the mass fabricator. Not sure what the greg tech recipe is or feasibility of running off UU matter produced lapis in that mod.

Sample setup:
ZHFmo.png

c6iwa.png

OEwLc.png

mh5AU.png

opxjz.png

Edit:
If it isn't obvious from the crater, this is revision 2. Do not ask about my first attempt :p