Help with barrel and router sorting setup (Overflow chest being filled)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Lawdoggy

Jul 29, 2019
Hey guys just thought I would ask a quick question to the smart folks, any help would be greatly appreciated! And my apologies if this is in the wrong forum.. ><

I have setup a sorting system for my quarry using barrels and a router, having the barrels all connected by an inventory, (Barrels with sticks) so they can go around corners. The router is located under this room, feeding it is a filter on a timer connected to an ender chest. I have the router set to go anywhere, I've tried different settings but didn't notice a difference.

barrelroom.png

My problem with this is , even though there are barrels for the items to go into, they still want to go into my overflow chest. Which is connected with about 5 barrels with sticks located outside of the sorting room.

overflowchest.png

So my question would be , how can I keep items from going into the overflow chest unless absolutely necessary? I've tried increasing the distance to the overflow chest but it didn't help. Again thanks for any help.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Routers share the items to EVERY available place there's no way to stop it like you have it set up. There's a thread somewhere with lots of people offering "stuck" item resolutions for routers.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I don't use Factorization much, but I think the Thoroughness upgrade will do what you are after.
I don't think Thoroughness works. And, it would only make a difference if the chests are actually connected to the Routers directly. Actually, that could be the problem, are they touching the Routers or the Barrels? Overflow from Routers to chests is best done via RP tubes. What kind of pipes are you using? Redpower? Buildcraft? Item Tesseracts? Conveyor Belts? Golems? Okay, those aren't all strictly "pipes", but you know what I mean.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
When you place items into your system, the router will distribute items to all valid inventories. Thoroughness will help a bit bit if you get (stacks as an example) 3 cobble, 2 stone, 12 cobble in the past it still distribute the 3 into the first valid inventory, and then the next 12 into the next valid. Most overflow chests have a trigger timer on the router itself to activate a transposer/filter to pull the items into the overflow chest (machine filter: Barrel on the router).

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
When you place items into your system, the router will distribute items to all valid inventories. Thoroughness will help a bit bit if you get (stacks as an example) 3 cobble, 2 stone, 12 cobble in the past it still distribute the 3 into the first valid inventory, and then the next 12 into the next valid. Most overflow chests have a trigger timer on the router itself to activate a transposer/filter to pull the items into the overflow chest (machine filter: Barrel on the router).
I wouldn't do it that way, there's a chance that the timer will pull a stack before the Router has found a barrel to put it into. I'd just allow the overflow to go through the tube network past the Router and into the chests if the Router is clogged. Routers and Barrels are a fairly awful system anyway in my opinion, it's almost as if they were designed to interact as poorly as possible. I couldn't believe it when I found out that they were part of the same mod! If I could change one thing, it would be to make them allow input from the back instead of the top.

Lawdoggy

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for all of the responses, instead of connecting the overflow chest via inventory I'm going to try using pneumatic tubing.
The overflow chest were connected to router via barrels.[DOUBLEPOST=1368541327][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I did have the thoroughness upgrade along with the upgrade that pulls stacks at a time.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
I've set up a system to feed my overflow chest back into the network. It only pushes one stack every minute (Filter & Timer), but it means that if I have a temporary problem such as a hopper geting filled up with stuff to macerate, then the ore goes into overflow and then gets fed back into the system later on. Also I use a crystal chest so I can see if there's anything in it.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
When I used barrels and routers way back in the Stone Age ( pre-AE :D ) I fed my quarried items through diamond+void pipes to clear out the garbage, then into a diamond chest. My router pulled from that chest and passed items to an "output" router. If there was no place for an item to go, it just stuck in the router. This didn't bother me because I kept pretty close tabs on my sorting system, but it would be very easy to put a Filter+Timer on the output router and just route stuck items right back to the input buffer chest to reduce the impact of clogging items.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
If you use a Filter+Timer to clear blockages back into the system, make sure there is a sufficient delay (a few sections of pneumatic tube, or an intermediate chest with another Filter+Timer or similar) so that the same item doesn't just immediately clog up the system again.

Larroke

Jul 29, 2019
I wouldn't do it that way, there's a chance that the timer will pull a stack before the Router has found a barrel to put it into. I'd just allow the overflow to go through the tube network past the Router and into the chests if the Router is clogged. Routers and Barrels are a fairly awful system anyway in my opinion, it's almost as if they were designed to interact as poorly as possible. I couldn't believe it when I found out that they were part of the same mod! If I could change one thing, it would be to make them allow input from the back instead of the top.

My tube system dumps the "routed" items into a relay, that bounces them to the router, so there's a buffer to the system. I found a 3-4 pipe length sufficient to keep everything flowing. Of course if I am sorting 42 diamond chests of items at a time it will bog down, but it handles a couple of quarries, tree farm and rather intensive bee operation at the moment without a hitch or interference. The timer system only pulls items into the overflow if the router doesn't have any place to put them. Fully upgraded my routing rarely runs into any issues, and when it does it neatly stores it in the overflow for resorting later.

I am preparing though to replace the whole lot of it with an AE network though... Just too many advantages to that spensive stuff.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
I had this setup until I moved to ae, put the machine upgrade on your router, it will only attempt to put in barrels, then put a filter to pull from the router if there is a blockage but as others have said there has to be a delay, if you want I can take a screen shot of my setup as I haven't taken it down yet As I haven't moved over to ae 100% yet